Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

What Gear to Mow???

leeave96

Trying to think SPRING here...  :)

I was looking at the mph for the 8 speed in my 314-8 and found 1st gear = 2 mph, 2nd gear = 3.2 mph and 3rd gear = 5.5 mph.

For my yard, 2nd gear seems plenty fast.  I also take a turn or two mowing at my Church and the yard there is much bigger, still 2nd gear is about as fast as I want to go.  However, there is a guy with a zero turn who has a turn there too and he FLIES on that mower!!!  One time I was there mowing a separate section and he was mowing the main yard and while my Wheelhorse was winner in the "way cool" machine catagory, it was PAINFULLY slow as compared to the zero turn.  I also bought recently an IH Cub Cadet gear drive and 2nd gear on it is 3.9 mph vs my Wheelhorse is 3.2 mph.  I'm thinking 3.9 is to fast for mowing!!!!!!!  Then I read that the 520HC and some 520H tractors in a few years after the 'HC had a faster geared rear end than the later 520H tractors.  I think that my 314-8 in 3rd gear, wide open throttle (where I mow at rpm wise) is like a race car!!!  My 520H is pretty fast too when I push the lever all the way forward (or now when I mash the pedal to the floor - thanks Matt... ;))  I've also read that Husky/Sears have faster riding tractors and Simplicity is re-doing their Prestige model with spring suspension and a faster moving tranny!  Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways!

So my question is - what gear are you mowing?  Any one really using full throttle and 3rd gear for mowing and getting a decent cut?  Anyone mow only in 1st gear or are you like me - 2nd gear is your mowing gear.

Regardless of what gear you use to mow, ANYONE READY FOR SPRING!!!!!!!!!!    :woohoo: 

Thanks!

Bill

chrisd200(inactive)

Uhh, very ready for spring! You are bringing up a good point. To me, 2nd has always felt too slow and 3rd too fast. I modified one of my C series tractors input pulley on the trans to a slightly smaller diameter (had to change belt too) and that made 2nd at wide open throttle perfect for me. Zero turns are made to be as efficient as possible when mowing so they will always out perform a tractor style mower when it comes to mowing speed, but that's about it in my opinion.

Dr.Clank

I mow with my 414-8 in high range 2nd gear at full throttle. If the grass is really long I slow down a bit and use high range 1st. I've tried it in 3rd but even with sharp blades the cut isn't as nice. I read that when mowing (or snowthrowing, tilling, etc) you should run the engine at full throttle and use the gears to control speed. I may have read that in the 414-8 manual, can't quite remember. 

-Ryan

sorekiwi

3 High is too fast for my yard, way too many bumps.  2nd High feels a tad too slow. I have some boggy sections where the grass gets really thick and I'll end up in 1st for that.

'd like to do what Chris said above about changing a pulley ratio to get 2nd a little faster.  Actually I'd like to revamp the gear stack completely.  Low 1st and Low 2nd are a complete waste of time for me, low 3rd is the gear I have always used when I need something really slow and torquey.  Low 1st and 2nd just chews up my grass.

Yes you should use full engine rpm when mowing.  The blade speed is designed for full engine rpm.

Wheel-N-It

2nd gear for me Bill. The only way I can get around this is to mow the lawn in 3rd the very minute the grass gets the least little bit high. I have got a set of 22inch tires on the 416-8. This should slow the tractor down just a little in each gear. Hopefully the 22inch tires will slow the tractor down in 3rd, yet be faster than it was in 2nd with 23inch tires. Or maybe it won't be noticable at all. LOL LOL LOL

Van

GlenPettit

Your grass, your expectations and your experience will tell you:

If your grass is dry and weak, then 3rd may be fine.

Healthy thick grass that you want to look real good, then 2nd.

If the grass is moist and long, then probably 1st gear for a first cut.

Sharp regular blades are very good, but "Gator Blades" are best.

A clean under-deck gives a more even spread of clippings.

Mowers are designed to cut at full throttle.

"Zero Turns",  they are only designed for mowing and do it the best and fastest.

with other models;

"Price, Speed, Quality  . . .  pick any two, but you can't have all three"  . . . is very True!

• Like 1

JackC

Not an issue for me since most of mowers are twin cylinder Hydros.  

I just put the throttle up and move the hydro lever where I need it.

My 520HC will cut grass at 7.5 mph.

My cousin has a Cub Cadet Zero Turn that will cut grass at 15 mph.

Wheel-N-It

Oh well with me its not so much about how fast I can mow. I have an Ariens zero turn if the clock is an issue. Actually I really enjoy seat time on a Wheel Horse. The time spent cutting grass (for me) is a therapy session. It takes away the stresses of my job and this faster paced world we live in. Its actually kind of healing. It would be cool to have the Power/Speed/Effective Cutting, and all that at WOT in high gear dialed in but its not crucial for me now. However I can see out to the day when I may have to purchase a faster more powerful mower. Maybe one of those Dixie Choppers (I like the sound of that). They are advertised as the Worlds Fastest Lawnmower.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

boovuc

I think you have to look at apples to apples. The Wheelhorse is a garden tractor and not a grass mower. That zero turn is meant to do one thing and one thing only and that is to mow grass. It has a much higher RPM at the deck verses the Wheelhorse. Even if you tried to mow at the zero turn's speeds, your lawn would look like a nine year old's haircut from another nine year old.

If your time is valuable to you and cutting grass is the equivalent of a root canal, then you'll need to get a grass cutter. My neighbor's Wheelhorse 260 series tractor runs rings around all my WH garden tractors. But his tractor sits in the shed late Fall through late Spring. Mine have the blowers and plows. Versatility verses doing one thing and one thing really well. That is your pick with any garden tractor I'm afraid.

• Like 2

IthacaJeff

I now mostly cut in 3rd gear with my 416-8 and 48" deck. I normally mow about 2 ac and

time is important for me. While my boys sometimes cut the grass (2nd gear), I like doing

it. But time is still important. Of course, around the plants and in other tricky areas it is

2nd gear. If the grass is normal height there is no difference in cut quality.

Last year most of my mowing duties were taken over with my DA 1920 with a 60" deck.

Hydro, 2 speed rear end, turning brakes, power steering. Once you've mowed fast you'll

never go back . . . which is why I'm saddened deeply by the oil leaking from the DA's

Kohler 20hp magnum.

Jeff

chrisd200(inactive)

One more thing, if you are considering purchasing another mower to speed up the mowing process, zero turns are great but where you gain most of the time savings is in their ability to manuver versus a tractor. As mentioned, Dixie Chopper has a very fast mower and so is the Scag Cheetah. These machines can travel around 17 mph but the cut quality is horrific at that speed. These high speeds are mainly for transport only. We sell around 150 commercial zero turns a year and trust me, once you exceed 8mph you start losing cut quality rapidly. With all of these high end zero turns at my disposal I still love my horses :) !!!!!!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

As others have said...A zero turn is designed to mow in what I would call "Road Gear"...Those "Z's" really hall grass (without the gr)!

Don1977

I mow in second gear, high is too fast. Have used high, but I have slid side ways around corners, not a real good feeling. The old 16 HP  Briggs Vanguard turn up around 4000 RPM. The new 18 HP does not turn up that fast.

chrisd200(inactive)

well said LOL

roscoemi

Was at a dealer getting parts on sat and they had z turns minus the decks but with snow blowers mounted.

Jim_M

I could never find the right gear for mowing. Second seems too slow, third is too fast and first is just plain out of the question.

I have been mowing with hydros for years and I don't think I could ever go back to mowing with a gear drive.

ericj

got to watch mowing high speed with the horses, the bouncing around can break the frames on the wheel horse. my 96 520 came to me with not only a bad valve seat but also a broken frame from the 60" deck. my dad's former dealer told me that a guy brought him a 416 one time with a broken frame from mowing a field in high gear with the deck up, so be careful mowing in 3rd gear.

i usually mow in high 2nd or slower depending on conditions 

eric j 

can whlvr

i too like the hydro for its variable speed choice

Whmaverick

I agree with all the replies especially Boovuc, I gave my father in law a '98 265-6speed I repowered with a 20 hp kohler twin, he can blast through the thick, deep, spring grass, with a 48" SD running circles around my C's with 42" RD decks. We need to remember that a garden tractor will never be a lawn mower. The round hoods, the named, the no names the B, C, D, 300, 400 and 500 series are TRACTORS, that have the ability to accept a finish, belly mower attachment. they can mow grass as well as work a garden, maintain driveways, pull, push, lift, dig, and operate a host of other attachments available for home or work requirements. That in my opinion is the beauty and allure of these TRACTORS. Don't you love it?

• Like 1

JackC

" once you exceed 8mph you start losing cut quality rapidly. With all of these high end zero turns at my disposal I still love my horses"

Great to hear.  7.5mph with my 520HC is about as fast as I want to go when I am mowing and I usually do not go that fast.  

I only go that fast when i lift the deck up and head back to the base for refreshments.  I love my 520HC and the stick on the floor hydro for mowing.

• Like 3

Tankman

High gear on the flatlands, low where I have to maneuver around trees, rocks, stumps 'n bumps.

With plenty of time on my hands, mow frequently never needing a hay rake.

You should never cut more than 1/3 of the grass off when mowing.

My first mowing with a WH was early 70's. Rear discharge deck and a Parker or Jackson sweeper.

Gorgeous lawn, great Horse! It was thrilling to pull into the drive and seein' the Mrs. driving by tan, relaxed, mowing and sweepin' the lawn. :smile:

I mowed so frequently, didn't really need the sweeper too much. Then inspiration struck, picked up gang reels so I could keep the Stallion clear for plowin' and cultivatin' the gardens.

When the boys turned teenagers, my neighbor told me (in confidence), "When you're not home your boys race the tractors up and down the road." I replied, "So? Have a nice day! :smile: " I installed the triangle slow vehicle signs on back of the Horses, didn't slow the boys down at all?

Getting to the time I have to deal with the Grandsons! One wants to adopt my '53 Caterpillar D2 to keep the stone drives smooth. Bet me!

PS. Grandsons need a trip to TSC Saturday morning for new "Easter" outfits. Don't "Deere" me!

• Like 1

leeave96

Rear discharge deck and sweeper is a GREAT combo. I have used that combo many times, it works great even if the grass is soaking wet and if you are good, you can strip the lawn with that combo too!

Torino

I have a Sears GT with the 6 sp trans and have the same problem finding a good gear to mow in.  I found that I like low 3rd but reverse is painfully slow in low range.  You would think out of 6 gears we could find a good one to mow with.  I guess with a gear drive the best option is a speed variator like on some of the JDs and other GTS.  I have a gear drive JD216 with the variator and it makes it a lot easier to find the right mowing speed.

Lane Ranger

1st gear gives you the most Wheel Horse seat time!  Life is already too fast.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5

chrisd200(inactive)

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1