Sign in to follow this  
Tom.

Raider 10

Tom.

Hi all,

There is a wheel horse raider 10 on a well known auction site and I really would like it but have a few questions. It all runs fine and the gears work but it could do with a lick of paint. Are there any common problems on raider 10s? Will it pull a well loaded trailer(500kg max)? What sort of price is it worth? Baring in mind it runs and the gears work but the cosmetics aren't great and there is no deck or any attachments.

Tom

Sparky

Not sure if all Raiders had it but some came with a 10 pinion posi rear end that didn't hold up as well as the 8 pinion non-posi. The pulling competion guys dont use this tranny since it was a weak spot in the Raiders.

What motor is on it? Kohler or Tecumseh? The Kohler is a better motor in my opinion.

Mike.............

Tom.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It is a 10hp Kohler. Either way the transmission should be able to cope with 250kg loads? Also do you have a rough idea on how much it is worth?

Tom

Anglo Traction

If it's one listed as  'Compact' in Middlesex, England. It is a post 1973 Belgian Built C-100 named a Raider in Decals only. The Tranny, if original,  should be a '5091' 8 pinion for that age. Look's in reasonable condition and I 've seen/bought much worse. Pay whatever you feel it's worth to you. The bidding will tell you what it's worth to others. Best of Luck if you do.  

wheeledhorseman

As Richard has hinted it's impossible to place an exact market value on project tractors and I doubt any of us are thinking in terms of what could I get for it when it's restored, its not why we do it. Two bidders within viable collection distance who both want an item will inevitably push the price upwards until one caves in. Twas ever thus at auction.

A runner is generally a good start but given the age and use these have had that doesn't mean that there aren't mechanical things that need attending to if you are going to do a good job - all part of the challenge and reward from restoring things.

These little tractors can pull heavy loads and I've been moving soil and rubble for what seems to have been an age now in aprox half ton loads. There's a caviat here though and that is don't expect to do it on rough wet or muddy ground, or steep inclines - common sense comes into play - when conditions are bad I do it in half loads. Time wasted getting a tractor or trailer out if it gets bogged in makes taking more time with smaller loads the more attractive option IMO. My trailer has fairly wide wheels / tyres, again a sensible approach to heavy loads.

Given the way these WHs were designed and built it often surprises me that they fetch relatively little but then they almost always need some mechanical and cosmetic work to bring them back to their original shape. I don't think anyone brags about how much a resto cost in terms of time or money - it's something you keep a secret, particularly from partners, and tend to 'forget' for your own benefit rather quickly. Good luck with whatever you're bidding on.

Andy

• Like 2