Sign in to follow this  
Tom.

Putting back together your wheel horse

Tom.

Hi all,

I am looking at restoring my wheel horse or getting one to restore. Upon researching about restoring wheel horses I wondered how I would remember how it all goes together. Do you guys remember it? Do you have special methods?

it would be interesting to hear what you think is best.

thanks

illinilefttackle

Hello Tom- Everyone probably uses their own system- but I like to take mental pictures of how something comes apart ( how it works) probably could use a camera too. I bag all my small parts in zip-lock bags and label them. Pay attention to placement of pulleys etc on shafts ( how far on or off) and relation of one part to another. If reusing belts-mark their rotation direction and put then back the same way. Practice makes perfect-but we all forget-if you get stumped-just ask (with a picture included)-there is a lot of knowledge on this forum-Thanks-Al---Good Luck!

KC9KAS

I would agree with ILLINILEFTTACKLE. Make lots of notes, and take plenty of pictures....even a video of some really difficult disassemblies may be in order.

That way you can show us the pictures & videos! :ROTF:

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Digital camera and notebook. Document everything if you feel you will forget.

Some people dont have any problem remembering. I am one of those lucky ones.

I have done frame off car restorations that took 2 years and remember where every little thing goes

and where I have it stored.

But that could change any day. You know, its an age thing.

Sometimes I forget my glasses are on top of my head anymore. Lol.

Good Luck!!

Tankman

I usually do one item at a time, if more, keep hardware separated. Like the deck, later deck!

I often use parts diagrams online; i.e.: http://www.partstree.com :smile:

By all means get an owners manual and if available a parts list w/ diagrams too!

I like the parts lists that give me the hardware sizes. I also use a lot of Never-Seez® or

threadlocker blue on bolt threads. If you use threadlocker red you'll need heat to disassemble later. More than not, I always use new hardware.

Not last but, help(and fun)is always available from the Red Square forum members!

~ Sent from my Digital Ankle Monitor ~

Sparky

These guys all missed the best way. Go out and buy another tractor just like whatever your restoring so you'll have a tractor to refer to  :grin:  !

Its a perfect excuse to buy another tractor right??

Mike...........

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' directions.  :)  

• Like 1

rmaynard

My first two restorations were B-100's. I always had a complete one that I could refer to. But things were different when it came to the Commando 8. Since I had no reference tractor to go back to, I took several hundred digital pictures from every angle. I also had a notebook were I jotted down anything that I thought might be a question or problem later. I still had some things that I had to guess at. Now I am doing a 701. When I took it apart last summer, I remarked how incredibly simple the tractor was, and that I would have no problem remembering where and how things went. Thank goodness I took hundreds of pictures, because the camera in my head is not that good any longer.

KATO

Lots of picture's prevents :confusion-confused:  :confusion-confused:  :confusion-confused:

Rock farmer

I take lots of pictures. But a lot of things can only go together one way.

Joe

Wh416H

I like to take pictures and I separate my bolts and other parts and label every bin like this so nothing gets mixed up post-9786-136391143696_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

The weakest ink is stronger than the sharpest mind. Something like that anyway.

Take pictures and notes.

• Like 3

csnyd

I'm no veteran of this topic, but I have realized how much I use my smart phone taking pictures, or if I am working on something, pulling up this site and looking up whatever question I am stumped by. 

neil

Using this site is the best manual you are ever gonna get . With probably  over 10,000 members  at least a third of those members would have gone through a restoration of some sort and should you hit any problems just ask the question here and  there will be someone to help.

Some would say that restoring  a tractor  is the best part of owning a wheelhorse , the satisfactition of getting it running again and making it look new again is just so satisfying & a real acheavement.

The most important thing that you need when restoring is to have fun & be proud of what you acheive

Good Luck Tom

• Like 2

bitten

In 2008 I went to adjust the slop in my upper steering shaft on my 310-8 and it turned into a tare down for a complete restoration. If I would have stayed on it I would not have had a problem putting it back together. But me being me I had to take my time in sourcing parts, painting and so on. Well I have forgotten how it goes back together. Most parts I know but there are things that I dont even know what there for. Being out of work at this time I decided that I am going to get it back together. I had a 520 with a bad engine given to me and decided to use the frame as the 310-8 had a slight bend to it. When I tore the 520 down I took pictures, used the zip lock baggy trick and kept every thing in groups. There is no dout in my mind that in 5 years I could put the 520 back together with the way I took it apart.

As some things for the 310-8 are still in primer, I am going to put it back together and then take it apart again to paint. I have gotten some different things that I want to add to the 310-8 and this will allow for fitment and adjustment before paint.

I know this is a long post but I just wanted to show the importance of pictures notes and grouping of parts.

Good Luck, P.J.  

Tankman

These guys all missed the best way. Go out and buy another tractor just like whatever your restoring so you'll have a tractor to refer to  :grin:  !

Mike...........

Perfect sense!

I often look at one tractor to see what I need for the other.

Helps in the hardware department; i.e.: need four 3/8-16 x 1" long carriage bolts w/ lockiing nuts.

Oops! Make that eight bolts 'n nuts. There are two Horses ya know! Duh! :smile:

SousaKerry

Manuals, IPL's and good ol memory.....

Well that last one doesn't work so good, so I ask plenty of questions on here. :eusa-think::handgestures-thumbupright:

MaineDad

Mike...........

I have done that :0

Anglo Traction

All good advice here for you. I would only emphasise the need for every bit of info you can get on your Tractor. Manuals, IPLs etc. The reason being that the Tractor you obtain may have been molested and odd n bodged parts fitted. With the info to hand, you'll be able to check it as you disassemble, and know what you need to replace, if you want to restore it to what it should be.

What ever you do with it/them , enjoy doing it.

Stigian

I'm quite good at remembering how parts bolt back on... It's working out where I have stored those parts that causes me problems :rolleyes:

• Like 3

546cowboy

Being a commission mechanic for 20+ years is how I can remember where things go. It becomes second nature after a while. There are times though when you get a tractor that has been modified or there are parts missing. Actually I have found a problem on the older tractors. Where do you find pictures of the deck mounting brackets and hardware for say a 1966 656? Not in the owners or tractor parts manual, I've looked. Seems like I have several here that are missing the deck hardware.

SousaKerry

Well the good news is there really aren't any brackets. Other then the lift link. The drive shaft is what supports the whole thing. Look up the manual for the deck it does a good job of explaining everything.