Sign in to follow this  
Whmaverick

Stuborn Tiller Cable

Whmaverick

So I helped a friend find a tiller for his 89 414-8. Problem is the cable won't stay in its clamps. And they are doubled on each end. I couldn't find him a rear rock shaft. So the cable just goes from the front rock shaft back to the tiller. Would the rear rock shaft make that much difference in leverage? Also we used a pretty stout spring from tractor supply. Does the spring really help? Seems to low of an angle to do all that much. Seen pics of tractors and tillers that had the spring missing. Also the older "C's" just had a cable from front to back. He keeps putting the cable back together but after a bunch of lifts it pops out. It does seem really hard to lift, but I haven't been around one before for a reference. Any tips would be good.

dbartlett1958

Whmaverick,

Not having hooked my tiller up yet, I don't really have much to offer.

But, these tillers are very heavy as you know, and ANY advantage that the rock shaft will give in lifting them is going to be a plus. Same for the spring.  I would build or find a rockshaft and try again.

In another month or so, I will report back with my results using a homemade cable and rockshaft.

David

• Like 1

B-100 Dan

I believe you pretty much need the rock shaft to lift the tiller, due to its weight.

• Like 1

Dr.Clank

I just joined this forum today and am glad I can help someone out! 

I made my own lift cable for my 07-36TL03 tiller and 414-8. The rockshaft is not required - my tractor has manual lift and I can lift the tiller no problem with or without the assist spring (I'm skinny and not that strong). My cable has never come undone. Total cost for parts was less than $20.

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/Dr_Clank/media/Wheel%20Horse%20414-8/IMG_2217.jpg.html

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/Dr_Clank/media/Wheel%20Horse%20414-8/IMG_2219.jpg.html

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/Dr_Clank/media/Wheel%20Horse%20414-8/IMG_2222.jpg.html

• Like 2

Trouty56

Welcome aboard Dr. Clark.  Thanks for the information...... :) 

Whmaverick

Welcome to the addiction Dr. Clank, thanks for the info, I was thinking the same thing when I rigged the one up for my buddy, but we can't keep the blankety, blank cable from pulling out.

Thanks for all the replies, I do want to build a rear rock shaft or maybe two or three while I'm at it, does anyone know of anyone that did one and documented it? It's been one of those things that I watch for on eBay even if I gotta pay a litte more than I should for it I can use it as a pattern. Any one know of one for sale?

Thanks in advance. -Keith

Whmaverick

Dbartlet1958, thanks and I will look forward to hearing back from you.

312Hydro

Keith, Do a search on "rock shaft" in the forums. There are some nice fabrications. You can check out the one I built here- go to post 106.

• Like 2

Trouty56

Note how Dr Clark has his clamps installed.....  Are your clamps the same way.  There was a rule someone used a few years back, I forget it, but I do remember that the live side of the cable goes on the nut side of the clamp and the looped end under the U side.

IMG_2222.jpg

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Found this on a search for wire rope clips

Garry

post-120-0-31962200-1363867923_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Whmaverick

great information, thanks guys I never new the clamps needed to be a certain direction. I will check that this weekend.

I still want to fab up some rear rock shafts as i been working on a tiller restoration for myself. hmmm? just might post some pics of that.

sounds like you guys got my buddy going again anyway. he has a great garden with several different patches he tills at different stages. 

thanks again.-Keith      :banana-tux:  :greetings-clappingyellow: 

Whmaverick

great job Rich on your 312H resto. sure looks like a new one in those last pics. you made the rock shaft fab look easy, nice neat work too. thanks for the excellent reference.

mrc

hi Whmaverick,  i've used wh tillers that just had the cable from the front rockshaft directly to the tiller.  VERY HEAVY to lift the tiller!.  and i've also used tillers with the added rear rockshaft AND lift assist spring. VERY EASY to lift!   do yourself and your friend a favor and get the rear rockshaft and lift assist spring set up.  you won't be sorry.  regards   mike in mass.

varosd

DSC_5130.jpg

Great info!    Dr Clank:  this photo should be on a calendar!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Further checking found where a minimum of 3 clamps are required for 1/8" to 1/2" cable per end and do not overtighten the first and last clamp. I am calling them clamps but the industry calls them clips.

Garry

can whlvr

just saw this thread,i agree that you need the spring and some sort of rock shaft,i made this with a piece of angle and a pulley i had laying around,mu tiller kept breaking the wire rope,it got used alot that year,i took it to work to finish some yards that got tore up

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

• Like 3

Dr.Clank

Hmmmm...... now I think I want a rockshaft to lift my tiller but then again I just got a 416-H and I'm going to look at a 417-A tomorrow so maybe I don't care how heavy the tiller is, I'll just make the hydraulics do the work. 

Don, thanks for the compliment. That horse does look pretty good basking in the sunshine. 

Whmaverick

OK, I went ahead and made my first rock shaft, it turned out good, so now i'm gonna make a few more to fit the Cxx5's and the 300,400, and 500's, oh yeah should fit the Cxx1's too.

with the rock shaft, and the clamping technique, i think my buddy should not have any more trouble. 

post-8263-0-10717600-1364095991.jpg post-8263-0-15573500-1364095944.jpg

• Like 3