Sign in to follow this  
chrisd200(inactive)

D160 with external park brake

chrisd200(inactive)

This D160 that I picked up last weekend has a feature on it that I have not come across before. It has an external brake similar to the style that a "C" series manual transmission uses. I haven't seen that on a "D" before. All of the D's I have seen use the internal brake paw. Also has an electric cooling fan pointing at the hydro manifold. How rare is that. My other D160 and my D200 do not have either of these features. Any thoughts????

Foozerush

Interesting... Any pics?

chrisd200(inactive)

Gotta get some taken

wheeledhorseman

I have two D-200s. The first is a 1977 model and that has the internal pawl brake, the latest addition is a 1978 model and that has an external band brake mounted on the hydro motor unit. Was it a change perhaps as the pawl brakes kept getting broken off?

Andy

chrisd200(inactive)

We all know after this many years that the paws breaking is certainly a problem. Just didn't know that Wheel Horse actually made a change at some point in production.

canam1991

i believe 78-80 had external parking band and cooling fan also upgraded steering. my 1980 d160 has both C series will also work my D has a  C hydro

chrisd200(inactive)

Huh. interesting. Upgraded steering too? Whats different about the steering

JackC

canam1999, what did the upgraded steering consist of?

brandonozz

I have a 77 with the internal brake and a 79 with the external band - both D-200's and came from the same dealer.

wheeledhorseman

'78 seems to be the year of change. I haven't had the time to take a good look over my 'new' D-200 in detail but there are a number of differences with the other from '77.

Don't know if it applies to the D-160 but as well as the band brake, the decals changed to the style of the C-121 introduced the same year and the headlamp bezel decal is black. An hours meter appears to have become an optional extra, even on a D-200; the plastic dash has an easy to cut away blank where it could be added. The rear wheel rims changed from the traditional style (which could be fitted either way round to produce wide or narrow track) to a much wider rim which only fits one way round and is made (I guess) in two halves welded together.

I'll take a look at the steering out of interest - but what am I looking for?

Andy

canam1991

the steering pivot arm looks much stronger on my 80 160 than it did on my 74 180

chrisd200(inactive)

Wow, never knew there were so many changes made to the D over the years. I knew the decals and headlight bezels change but that was about it. Cool info guys, keep it comin! Thanks!!!!!

gwest_ca

Transmission cooling fan 1979-1982 model 8-4125 Fits D-160, D-200, Standard equipment on 91-20KS02

Use model number 84125 at Toro

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

It is also mentioned in service bulletin

WH61-90 #242 D-Series FEL requirements

Garry

chrisd200(inactive)

How do you guys know this kind of info? Great work, Thanks