Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

Hitch Pin Removal

Trouty56

We've all had them....a hitch pin stuck in the tranny.  Usually end up sawzalling the hitch off leaving the cut pin flush with the trans housing.  I was talking to my son about his engineering class (way over my head in most cases) but one thing stuck in my mind.  He was showing me how he can calculate the stretching of steel when pulled.

So....I had this one pin in a 14 8 speed that I had cut as previously mentioned.  I drilled a 1/2 hole through the core to all but maybe 1/2 inch from the end.  I inserted a 10 X 1/2 inch bolt and whacked it out.  My theory was that I was actually pulling the pin out decreasing the diameter ever so slightly instead of trying to push it out causing compression.  I removed it from right to left thinking the larger tab would take the abuse better than the small tab.  Well it worked......so it may be worth a try for somebody else too.....

post-1933-0-42872300-1363632385_thumb.jp

If this has already been covered previously just ignore this post.... :)

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 5

rmaynard

Bob,

That is an excellent idea. Well thought out with the right to left thing as well.  :text-bravo: Another "tips, tricks, and techniques" candidate.

wheeledhorseman

The theory behind this is good and you've shown it works in practice so 10/10 for this post Bob. :thumbs:

I've a pin in my 316 to do sometime so I suspect that this tip is going to come in handy and save a lot of time wasted getting nowhere, so thanks for posting..

Andy

AMC RULES

Makes sense.  :handgestures-thumbsup:  There's another one to do here, waiting in the basement Bob. 

• Like 1

Duff

Good tip!  Thanks!  :text-thankyoublue:

While we're at it, anyone got any ideas for a stuck tranny drain plug (the one on the bottom)? I can get a nice fit with an Allen wrench on it but it's flexing my 36" breaker bar without budging. :banghead:

Duff  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  

squonk

One thing I have done is I use a brass drift smaller than the dia of the pin so I don't mushroom it. Then I get my $200 super whoopy air impact hammer with a flat anvil attachment and blast the end of the brass drift. It hasn't failed me yet. I got a $100 tip one day because this hammer. A limo pulled up in front of my house with a flat one Sunday. It had fancy wheels with the McGard wheel locks with no key. They didn't have AAA and a tow truck was 2 hours away. I had them pull in my garage and I put a chisel end in the hammer. I caught the end of the wheel lock and managed to  rotate loose the lock. That tool has saved the day more times than I can count.

KC9KAS

Thank you for the excellent pin removal idea!

My biggest problem would be finding a good, sharp drill bit to use!

You said you drilled a 1/2" hole.....Isn't the pin only 5/8" or is it 3/4"? You drilled most of the steel way before you started pounding! Still a really good idea.

Trouty56

You said you drilled a 1/2" hole.....Isn't the pin only 5/8" or is it 3/4"? You drilled most of the steel way before you started pounding! Still a really good idea.

I started smaller like 5/16...then to 3/8.....then to 1/2......  The pin is 3/4.

Thanks for the positive feedback....I hope it helps others.

Wasn't too bad drilling.  Total time was less than 1/2 hour.  I have a set of Ryobi bits.  Nothing special....

Edited by Trouty56

roscoemi

Duff have you broke out the smoke wrench and tried heat?

cheesegrader

Duff,

I had to use a broken bolt extractor to get one of mine out.  Allen wrench wouldn't budge it without breaking off or stripping.

Or you could break off a tool in the plug, strategically cover it with grease, and sell the tractor to me!

Don't ask how I know this trick.

dclarke

Good idea, Bob.... :thumbs:

can whlvr

great idea,ive been lucky over the years and never had a stuck hitch,lots of hubs though,and as far as the drill bits i recommend the drill doctor to any one who drills metal at all,it works very well to sharpen bits and easy to use

puddlejumper

Duff, Leftyloosey, righty tighty, Just kidding. Since your allen wrench is fitting that well, My thoughts would be an impact wrench.Vibration goes a long way. You may try to thump it a time or two with a hammer and try your breaker bar again.or thump your breaker bar while holding pressure against it. Just dont bust the case or damage the fit of the allen wrench.

chrisd200(inactive)

Great idea!!!!!!!!!! This will definitely help some of us some day.