Thehunter

Introduction and the start of my restoration!

meadowfield

Like this thread! A lot! :D

COMMANDO6

Wow. I just read this thread in reverse order and I have to say you are doing an awesome job. I really like how your are doing this one. Just curious, what type of tires will you be using in back? As in all four of them.

Thehunter

thanks for the kind words everyone, commando6... i'll be mounting up aggie duals.

Thehunter

I finished the wagon for my friend's baby this weekend... I know this is non WH related but it's a restoration and in WH colors

When I have some free time the tranny is next on the list...

photo1-1.jpg

multihobbyguy

Great job on the wagon!

COMMANDO6

Wow that looks great. Love the color on that wagon...

Jake Kuhn

Wagon looks great!

Anglo Traction

:techie-hal: A belated :text-welcomewave: . Just 'Read this Thread' on your project. Great progress and work. :thumbs:    

Thehunter

progress has been slow with so much going on this summer.  just got the front steering components hooked up.  Fabricated a  new steering shaft from 3/4 stainless and added 2 shaft collars to fix it in place.  I'll need to make a custom tie rod...

steer.jpg

• Like 1

Thehunter

Hi all, anyone else go to the Orange, MA tractor and engine show?  It was great!  I went with a few bucks in the hopes of maybe finding a nice little hit or miss engine.  Next thing I knew this was in the back of my truck ready to go to its new home :)  I know it's not "red", but I couldn't turn in down for $380.  I don't know a lot about these other than they have a really cool cast iron front grille, a Plymouth rear end, and they're a really cool color.  Anyone know what year this is?

pz1.jpg

pz2.jpg

953 nut

:woohoo:   Looks like a 1962 T70 from what I can see. Cooper Panzer has a site that you can go to for more info. That was a great price, seen them go for twice as much on ebay.  :text-coolphotos: 

:USA: 

Thehunter

hi all, finally got the transmission all buttoned up

tranny.jpg

rear rims ready to go

rims.jpg

I used a cut piece of scotchbrite pad for the breather filter, it's very close to the OEM filter material...

breather.jpg

I finally painted the engine, I like the color, I was looking for a little contrast...

engine.jpg

more parts ready to go

parts.jpg

and it's starting to look like a tractor!!!

overallframe.jpg

meadowfield

fab!  loving the blue

Thehunter

finally got the motor back together, came out really nice.  Had to ream the governor gear and grind the valve stems.

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

here's my buddy working the surface grinder to set the proper valve stem lengths

valvegrinding.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looking good! That blue will.look very nice when the tractor is finished!

Thehunter

Hi all, made some progress this weekend.

I picked up some more parts from the sandblaster that were too large for a small cabinet.  Got them in primer right away so they wouldn't flash up.

tree-1.jpg

tank-1.jpg

Thehunter

The hood needs a fair amount of body work, and I need to fabricate a new bottom support bracket.  At some point a hood repair was attempted.  The sandblaster said the entire front of the hood was smeared with Bondo 1/8" thick and has multiple drill holes in that area.  Big time hack job!  The hood stand needs to have a bracket fabricated and welded.  The toolbox needs major repair work.  These 3 parts will take a fair amount of time to get right.

sb.jpg

this tab needs to be closed, welded and ground flush

tab.jpg

Need a new bracket here...

damage.jpg

Thehunter

Once I mounted the tires, I sanded all of the lips smooth, washed everything, masked all of the wheels and shot them again to fix the "tire lever marks".  This was a time consuming process!

wheelmask.jpg

all 4 drying in the sun

wheels-1.jpg

Thehunter

got the breather all squared away with new gaskets, filter, and grommet.

air.jpg

I drilled out the front mounting hole on the seat so I could use another 1/2" carriage bolt to mount to the seat spring to prevent the seat from wiggling.  I painted the bolt head to match the seat.

seat.jpg

installed new coil and condenser.

coil.jpg

painted the cylinder head and added a stainless exhaust elbow.  I'll be using a stack exhaust at some point.

engine-1.jpg

Thehunter

installed new point and breaker...

photo1-4.jpg

mocked up a new filler panel for the hood stand....

photo3-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Martin

I used a cut piece of scotchbrite pad for the breather filter, it's very close to the OEM filter material...

i think you will find that the scotchbrite is too restrictive for a breather filter. the replacement filters you get with a engine rebuild gasket kit if you hold them up to the light you can see through most of the material, but the scotch brite i doubt you could do the same. i use the scotchbrite pads everyday at work and i am familiar with their construction. i would hate for you to have symptoms of breathing problems once you get the engine running. you wouldnt want to restrict the crankcase breathing. 

on another note, i like your progress so far on the restoration, nice job so far!

Thehunter

Hi Martin, I agree with you.  I was actually thinking the same exact thing a few days ago.  Correct part number is ordered and on its way.

Thehunter

more progress this weekend...

cut out the mangled center section of the hood stand

damage-1.jpg

here's the replacement panel my buddy made

panel.jpg

needs to be tacked in place.  also the bracket that spans the backside needs to be welded.

panelin.jpg

more parts hung and shot with primer.  almost done with all the painting 

tree-2.jpg

got the head painted and secured with stainless hardware.  new spark plug. new governor shaft bushing.  walnut shell blasted the fuel pump.  polished the copper gas line.  next up i have to sort out the carb.

motor.jpg

Thehunter

put on the pull start ring to see how it looked

photo1-4.jpg

painted the brake drum and installed

photo2-4.jpg

new drive pulley

photo3-2.jpg

and she's finally rolling!!!  wow it was tough to secure those dual wheel adapters and hold everything in place.  would have been much smarter to use studs.

photo4-2.jpg

duallies in place  :)

photo5.jpg

horsesaver98

I like it nice job