Sign in to follow this  
zach l

Stens and Kohler

zach l

Is anyone running a Kohler connecting rod with a stens piston? Is this okay?

Agage1

I am and so far so good. It's actually on a built and engine that runs at higher than stock rpms. Been on there over a year and run fairly often.

Wheel-N-It

I've heard some good things about Stens engine products. I may use them when I rebuild the M10 on my 310-8.

Does anyone have some advice for me regarding this?

leeave96

I had an engine builder tell me he preferred the Stens parts to the Kohler.  Another point that I hear a lot is that the Kohler parts are getting crazy in price - to the extent that they are driving off potential rebuilders.

I can't say I've heard much in the way of bad comments regarding Stens parts and for my tractors would be comfortable using them.

KC9KAS

STENS (Stenfenagal family) actually started out selling lawn & garden equipment (Stihl, Wheel Horse) back in the 60's in Jasper Indiana. Their shop also worked on outboard boat motors.

STENS is still located in Jasper Indiana, but as a parts warehouse and not in the same capacity as they started business. I don't think the Stenfenagel famity are owners either.

520HC

Actually Stens is owned by Ariens, The lawn and Garden Co in Wisconsin, famous for snowblowers.

Kevbo

I have bought mostly Stens Mufflers, Air Filters, etc and have been quite pleased. Just recently had the 312-8 rebuilt with a new Kohler piston that cost $70. Does anyone have an opinion on the comparison between aftermarket engine parts and "Kohler" engine parts in terms of their reliability and performance? :eusa-think:

Mr. 856

The k181S im rebuilding recieved a new stens piston and rings but i stuck with OEM kohler on the rod. Kohler parts are pricey for sure.

Don1977

Does anyone know who made the pistons and rings that Tulsa Engine Warehouse is selling. Are they Chinese or Stens. RCPW list theirs as Stens and are priced reasonable.

MalMac

FYI, Pat's small engine has a overstock sale going on. Some Kohler OEM parts are less than dealer cost. I got a piston and ring set, rod and stellite valves all under 200.00 all Kohler OEM for my K321.

can whlvr

i was told that stens parts are now made in china,and they dont have all the parts for all kohlers,i rebuilt my 10hp with all stens a few years ago,the 12 hp i did after i couldnt get everything so i went with the ebay kit,so far so good,but time will tell,i use 5-6 tractors so the china parts might be allright,dont know if it were a daily worker for buisness if id buy the china junk

Wheel-N-It

Kohler parts are high, thats for sure. I had a K-341 rebuilt last year using all Kohler parts. For the M10 I'm seriously thinking about going with a less expensive supplier as I said in my earlier post..........................................

Mr. 856

I say the proof needs to be in the pudding...........who wants to send me a free stens rebuid kit to test???? :laughing-rofl: