Sign in to follow this  
chris11

RJ 58 engine

chris11

I got a k 91 with this rj im building. what type air filter do they have on the rj? oil bath? or round pan style? also The exh port isnt threaded for pipe has 2 holes for 1/4 20 for flange. anyone have a picture?

VinsRJ

The RJ would have had an up-draft oil bath air filter and a tapped exhaust port and no bolt provisions.

I can get you pics later tonight unless someone beats meet to the punch.

wallfish

I have a tap to cut the NPT threads for the exhaust port if you want to borrow it.

The updraft oil baths are very difficult to find but you can convert a down draft filter to updraft if it has the steel bowl. Some bowls are made of plastic.

chris11

I got a tap John Thank you. Oil bath is it like the old cub cadet one looks like a bee hive? Ill take a picture of the project im working on. Thank you too Vin. You guys are allways helpful.

Jake Kuhn

From what I have seen the only rjs that used oil baths are the k90s the.k91s had the regular filter like the newer horses used.

From what I have seen the only rjs that used oil baths are the k90s the.k91s had the regular filter like the newer horses used.

64s

I've had the same experience as Jake.  My K90 has the updraft and my k91 has the regular (or pancake) style air filter.  Of course, there's always room for oddities during a changeover.

stevebo

Here is one

post-734-0-93658100-1363294474_thumb.jpg

VinsRJ

Here's another one and the pic of the port.

post-1597-0-14375000-1363298639_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-40251000-1363298650_thumb.jp

chris11

Ok what is the correct engine K90 or K91 ?

VinsRJ

Early RJ58 would be K90... Later production RJ58 K91.

wallfish

That's kind of the beauty of RJ-58s. So many variations to the same model which make them fairly easy to get factory correct.

recoil starters, front rims, rear hubs, seats, hitches and quite a few other things have variations to that model too. Seems like the list goes on forever.

One thing which does seem fairly constant over the years is previous owners cutting up the hoods.

chris11

Ok well, im building 2 a shock looking restoration, and then a hot rod . Thats the only way i can do it dont want to piss anyone off, because its not stock. Hope you guys like them.

stevebo

Will the hot rod be at the show and will it have "stock' performance? KenB, his boy Cole and I will be lining up the burbs on friday night for a few hot laps.... :)  :happy-partydance:

clintonnut

You're going to have to watch out......

I'll have the 953 re-geared and Zeek may have the cheese grater...

Charlie

• Like 1

stevebo

Oh boy Charlie....

chris11

Ill have it done, but the last time i went i got stopped for speeding.

VinsRJ

Chris, thats because you came with a dragster... think back to the muscle care days... you want a 70 Chevelle with the SS/454 on the side... or a plain-Jane Cutlass S with a 455? LOL!

Lets also keep in mind that the club has really made it a point the last couple of years that the crazy behavior has been pissing them off. AKA: The balance table.

stevebo

Vin,

You are right.... I guess we will just have to line them up out in the field...  lol

Lane Ranger

My brother has one 1959 RJ  Wheel Horse that has a different air filter on it than the oil bath or front facing air filter on the carb of the K 91 motor.

The attached photo is of a Kohler metal cannister air filter that contains the paper element.   It is a drop down mount cannister .  The paper element canot be replaced and you have to change the whole cannister when it is time to replace the filter.

I have seen a quite a few RJ's at shows.   Not sure if it was an original item on some Wheel Horse RJ's or came from other spec motors installed later on RJ's

Looks nice on the tractor and operates well too..

post-339-0-29628700-1363350106_thumb.jpg

chris11

Im letting my son Drive the puller this year ill stay on the little one.

buckrancher

My brother has one 1959 RJ  Wheel Horse that has a different air filter on it than the oil bath or front facing air filter on the carb of the K 91 motor.

The attached photo is of a Kohler metal cannister air filter that contains the paper element.   It is a drop down mount cannister .  The paper element canot be replaced and you have to change the whole cannister when it is time to replace the filter.

I have seen a quite a few RJ's at shows.   Not sure if it was an original item on some Wheel Horse RJ's or came from other spec motors installed later on RJ's

Looks nice on the tractor and operates well too..

that is the correct style for a RJ with a clinton engine except the louvers on the side are cut the wrong way that air filter is made to be mounted up the correct one's are cut to hang down(louvers on side are cut the other way)

I have  seen a RJ's with that style filter on a kohler but I think the owner did it not the factory. it's normaly the oil bath on the K90's or the standard round paper filter on the K91's

Brian

rydogg

Here is a k90 that I setup with a updraft oil bath from a Clinton engine they are a little smaller but easier to find.

wheelhorse249.jpg

WHRNaddict

That looks like the one setting on my work bench, only now it has the correct filter. I'll part with the under size filter if anyone has a need.