Sign in to follow this  
RDML2006

416 8 mower deck

RDML2006

I just rebuilt this 48 sd mower after years of abuse from Previous owner,  so far its mounted, goes up and down, runs quiet and smooth. It even cuts grass, just lopsided.  Any ideas on what or where i should be looking to straighten this thing out? I'll try to get a few updated pics of this project soon

Don1977

It mows lopsided or it hangs lopsided when lifted. If it hangs lopsided when lifted it need to be adjusted so that the rubber bumpers mounted to the top side of the lift arm

contact the bottom side of the foot pads. If it mows lopsided it could be bent, but most 48" deck have a reinforcement plate bolted to the top under the belt covers and it would take a lot to bend one. Another reason to mow lopsided is a twisted rear height adjustment bar, the one with the wheels and rollers attached. I had a deck that the rear center rollers were welded on crooked. I didn't notice it on level ground but a slope it would almost scalp if the slope was toward the discharge chute.

Tankman

There are two [2] 7/16-14 carriage bolts on the leveler, one left and one right;

#14 on the parts list.

These are installed in slots. I'm wondering if some fine tuning one up, one down, or whatever, might make a difference in deck level?

I'm going to try it out (although I am mowin' level) when I get a chance.

Input from Mr. Mechanical? :smile:

RDML2006

I think it's time to look for a manual so I get these adjustments right. The front of the deck is all that is really moving. Even raised the stops are probably an inch or more from footrests and uneven. Thanks for the help , looks like i have multiple issues to sort out still, Ross

tunahead72

Try this one, lots of information there on checking mower level, and adjusting the tractor lift bar and the transport level stops (the carriage bolts that Tankman mentioned):

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/22-mower-rotary-36in-rd-1986-1990-05-36mr04-om-810403r1pdf/

RDML2006

Quick update, I now have the deck level, up down and sideways. :woohoo:  Now it seems the only  issue I'm having is when the deck is raised to the point that the stops contact the footrest , the deck will not latch and stay. If i lower it down  a bit ,it works fine. For now I think its going to have to due because it looks like I have some leaky axle seals that need my attention. At least my new decals look nice

Thanks again for the good advice