Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

D250

Rideawaysenior

I have a D250 that I could use some help with. I recently added this to my collection, the second D series I now own. The questions I have are, has anyone ever worked on one of these before? I am well versed on Kohler, Briggs and Tecumseh engines, but these Renault wet sleeve engines are a new animal for me. I have the mechanics guide and the parts manual so that should be some help, but previous experience I have found is the best guide.

The engine is stuck on mine. I have filled the crank case with diesel, and a combination of diesel and penetrating oil in the cumbustion chambers. I plan on letting it sit for some time to see if that will free up the works.

Any other suggestions would be great, I would also like to know if anyone has found a reliable parts dealer. I was placed in contact with one in southern VA but am looking for someone closer to my area which would be New England.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jack

T-Mo

Jack,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. I know very little about Wheel Horses (though I'm learning), much less about D-series, especially the D-250 and I'm not a mechanic. Makes me very qualified to answer questions, doesn't it? :P But if you know a little about the smaller engines, then that's a good head start on the Renault engine. Hopefully another member who has one of these or knows about them can help you out.

Again, welcome to the site. And..... :D

Rollerman

Jack welcome to the site.

One of the guys here used to have a D 250 " Brrly1"

You may look him up on the members list & see what he knows.

The D 250's are kind of an odd duck...parts are scarce.

That contact Bill gave you will probably be the best bet.

Hope you get her going.

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

I don't know how true this is and may be passing along false information, but I thought that I had read that the engine used in the D250 is the same as in the LeCar. Sure, the LeCar is extinct but maybe there are some LeCar parts to be found which could be used on this machine.

T-Mo

I read somewhere that the engine in the D-250 was an industrial application used in forklifts. Of course, I don't know but that's what I read.

Curmudgeon

For quite some time it was believed the engine in the D-250 did come from the LaCar. That always seemed weird to me, just how many cars do you know have governors? Several years ago now someone, I don't remember who, did some research and said, no.... it's an industrial fork lift engine. Originally running quite a bit faster and making 40 HP. To sneak in under some stupid law, Wheel Horse turned the governor back until it only made 19.9 HP, slipping under the 20HP law.

This all makes a lot more sense to me. It does run kinda slow, it has a governor, etc.

Dale, in Michigan

nylyon

For quite some time it was believed the engine in the D-250 did come from the LaCar. That always seemed weird to me, just how many cars do you know have governors?

It is clear to me that you've never been in a LeCar :D

Sparky

I thought the D-250 engine was a "Continental Engine" (not a Lincoln of course). I heard it was used in forklifts and industrial machinery. I also heard that it was underated in HP to avoid having roll over protection.

Mike.....

CasualObserver

The engine was not a Continental, nor a Hurcules... it was a Renault... same one used in the european counterpart... the Gutbrod.

gutbrod.gif

You can check out this website for more info.

Wheel Horse D250 site

Rollerman

Thanks for the link Jay.

I know the block is similiar to some of the Renault sports cars, or have read.

But thats where the similarities ended.

I had a chance at owning one of these & the parts avalabilty spooked me.

Interesting to see what they are called where they are manufactured.

Stephen in northern IN

Curmudgeon

Nope, never been in a Lecar. I take it they had a 19.9 HP governed engine then?

Dale

Bill

Did you ever get that 250 unstuck??? I just saw your message today.. I own a 250 and love it...you just can't kill it... btw the Motor is made by Renault But i'm sure you found that out already...if I can help you with anything just let me know i'll do my best.... BTW i'm looking for a snowblower for a d250, you happen to have one laying around?... I have a 5 ft snow plow on mine now, But i want to swap over to a blower

Rideawaysenior

Well, finally some news on the D250 project. I filled the block with kerosene, and just a couple of seconds after there was a gurgle, and a slight stream of kero draining onto the floor. It was comming from the starter inspection hole cut into the bottom of the oil pan. My two theories are, the rear main seal went and it was run out of oil. (this with my luck is what happened) If I am lucky, the seal just rotted from sitting for a long time and the kero poked through some of the dry rot. Any how I am getting ready to pull the head. This may or may not reveal some problems.

Jack in MA praying to the tractor gods for some good luck and an easy fix.

WheelHorse_of_course

BTW, I recently saw some cylinder sleeves for this engine on Ebay.

Not sure if the auction has ended yet. It was Joes Outdoor Power that had them up for sale.

Good luck