Sign in to follow this  
EZRYDER

C-121 tow valve problem

EZRYDER

I have a C-121 with automatic tranny that cannot be rolled unless a valve is opened on the tranny.  The problem is that the valve consists of a 5/16" square cap on a bolt that I find nearly impossible to access.  I can get to it with some difficulty but the is not enough room to get a ratchet socket over it and not enough room to even maneuver an open end wrench to get it loose. It is wedged in behind the left rear tire and there are a lot of brackets and things around it.

Any help?

Larry

Martin

i think the c121 has a piston to piston version sundstrand, much like the c160 of mine........

the main difference i suppose between the c160 and c121 in this area would be the extra cover and slightly different running board on the left of the hoodstand that would make it hard to get in there.

i find accessing the c160 tow valve a bit of a hassle, but it has a slot and not like you described. i just use a very long thin screwdriver between the hyd lift hoses and turn it. the valve shouldnt be tightened up that much that it is so hard to turn. 

heres how mine looks.......

post-4321-0-40615500-1362604846_thumb.jp

could you get to it from underneath with a long handled ratchet and socket? maybe theres more room than from the side? sorry i cant come up with a better plan, i dont have a c series auto the same model as yours. i have a couple of tractors that have similar sheet metal, but they are 8 speed or later eaton autos and i can imagine it would be difficult without the same sort of access that the c160 or similar tractors have......

Edited by Martin

EZRYDER

Thanks Martin,

I wish I had the access as shown in your pic.  I can't even get a

socket over it because it is wedged against a body part.and it has no slot. I guess I need to get it on a lift so I can get under better and try to fashion some permanent tool for it. I can't be putting it on a lift every time I need to roll it. The garage is under the house so we smell all exhausts so I would like to roll it out before I start it. 

Larry

jeremi3210

I feel your pain i have a c121 also i have turned mine with a 5/16 wrench but it is a pain.

squonk

Could you drill an access hole with a hole saw and then use a socket and ratchet?

Tim

i use a 4" adjustable, move it about a third of a turn flip the adjustable and repeat.  the off set(?) of the adjustable gave me more or a turn than a wrench.

oh yeah, wash the blood of your knuckles when your done. really sucks with chains on the tires.

can whlvr

what about a ratchet wrench,worth a try

Paul D.

I've got a c141 with the same issue. One of these days I'm going to pull the fender pan off and get it broke loose. My dad owned it from new and I took it over a couple years ago so I know it's never been opened. Could be a bear.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

EZRYDER

Could you drill an access hole with a hole saw and then use a socket and ratchet?

Thanks, that is worth trying

Larry

Worth a try.  Thanks

i use a 4" adjustable, move it about a third of a turn flip the adjustable and repeat.  the off set(?) of the adjustable gave me more or a turn than a wrench.

oh yeah, wash the blood of your knuckles when your done. really sucks with chains on the tires.