persof

Welder attachment?

persof

I was looking at a website ( Zena.net ) and I am wondering if it is possable to build a DC arc welder powered by my 312-8 pto using car alternators? 

has anyone done this?

Thanks

Francis

Whmaverick

Sounds like a neat project. Should work fine, I don't have one but the front mounted generators seem to work well, same principle as a welder right? Go for it! Just post lots of pics. We like pics.

dsholler

I am just curious, do you actually have a use for a welder you can drive around? Or is it just because it sounds like fun ?

persof

I have a 120V MIG welder in my garage and I love it but it is limited to 1/4" (and stuff that fits in my garage) my neighbor is interested inbuilding a large BBQ smoker but I think my little Hobart is a bit to small.

Yes I just want a new toy/project 

Thanks

Francis

Tankman

Should work fine, many Miller welding machines are gas powered. Generators too.

I would think building a barbecue would be easy enough for a small MIG or stick welder.

Have fun with your project if you proceed. :smile:

wallfish

That is something I was looking at building myself a while ago but got side tracked. I did gather some information on how to build it but it seems a little incomplete. Maybe we can get a hold of SOI to help guide us on what we need to build them properly.

Here's one link, can't seem to find the others but I do also have a PDF file. PM your email address and I'll send it.

http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/portable-welder.html

sorekiwi

There is a bunch of info on the internet about converting automotive alternators for use as welders.  A lot of the off road 4x4 guys do it.

A member here, Volfandt, had one on a Wheel Horse a long time ago.  Some pics here:  http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=170160&postcount=83

persof

I'll be looking at these links

Thanks

Francis

coldone

Just google "alternator welder". Some other topics I have seen were people using old aircraft generators, 24V-36V 200amp-300amp and using them as dc welders.

.5racer

persof ,

that welder can do more than a 1/4 " .

DSC00392.jpg

this was built with a welder that you speak of or one like it

ever hear of multi-pass . just learn how to lay them down for strength !! Over-lap each pass so the new weld is half on each of the last pass !!!

each pass needs to have the same weave width so the spread is the same as well.

do it daliy with wire feed , tig , and stick at work , done it for over 30 years !!!!!

• Like 1

persof

I will expertiment with this technique.  How can I be certain of strength? If I grind a bevel on the edge of thicker stockand get proper penetration on the first pass is that the correct start?

Thanks

Francis   

mortie806

If you were doing some thing like building a log spilter and were using a smaller welder you could bevel the end to get better penetration, but building a large smoker you don't have to get to crazy it won't have 20 ton trying to tear it apart but the smaller welder do a good job

AWS CERTIFIED WELDER