Sign in to follow this  
pacer

15 inch tires?? Ag - Turf?

pacer

Just got a pretty decent 1054 - definitely worth re-working. Was doing research on it (and joined the forum here) and one of the things Im hitting a wall with is the rear tires and knowing which of the "new" sizes will cross over, and a source for them. I would love to replace them with ag? tires, but wouldnt mind turf tires. There are 2 bald headed 670-15 car tires on it now - yuck!

Hah, I knew the gas tank was in bad shape and Im thinking, no big deal - Ill just pull that bad boy off and clean em out and be ready to go.... well, as probably most of you know - it aint quite that easy! I had wanted to hear the engine run with out squirting gas in the carb, but... Oh well, I was gonna take everything down anyway...

marreque

Welcome to Red Square. I have a 1054 also and they are pretty unique in ways that are good and bad. Try miller tire.

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

953 nut

Welcome to the square! I love the 1054/953 horses and know you will be happy with your choice. Ebay listing number 330883085211 is a NEW pair of 5.00 X 15 Ag tires for $ 150 including shipping, hard to beat.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.  :USA:

Indy w h

I've got a set of NOS 27-15's I'd sell you with rims if your interested

pacer

Wow! that IS a good price! -- but... I'm concerned about the width. At 5" it would seem that would be rather skinny looking.

What is the rim width on the 1054? do you - ot anyone else - know the specs on the rim?

pacer

indy,

Yes, I would be interested ... if the freight wouldnt be the killer, shipping to N La!

PM me if you'd like

pace8@bellsouth.net

"D"- Man

The size is stamped on the rim it is 15 over 4-1/2 . Mark.

pacer

Thanks, Ill check that out - that makes the 5" sound like they would look OK.

953 nut

Both of my 953s came with 5.00 X 15 Ag tires. :wh: 

pacer

953, thanks for the link on the ag tires and the info on the fit -- I went ahead and ordered up a pair of them.

Hah, I think even if they were to look a bit skinny, they will look WAY better than those out of place car tires.

Now I have to address the gas tank, I got the transaxle out (wasnt tooo bad), and found the tank to have the bottom virtually rusted OUT - hundreds of pin holes and huge hunks of rust shaking out - totally no good. Have got a Briggs Stratton generic tank on the way that diminsions of sounds like it will work. Will post another topic on that when it comes in and I see whats what.

baerpath

I've got a set of NOS 27-15's I'd sell you with rims if your interested

Indy if he doesn't take them I may be interested.

Duane

jeremi3210

Anybody got pics of one with 5.00 15 tires on? Thanks.

Martin

just found this thread.

i think some info on tire sizes needs to be cleared up first.

the 1054 came with 6.40-15 tires originally. 

in my opinion the 5.00 -15 tires wont look right on there. you really need to try and find the same size or maybe wider, i know 6.70-15 was another size thats been mentioned in the past. these tires (in the right size) are hard to find and expensive. thats another 'unique' thing about the 953/1054 tractors. again, this is just my opinion, and you dont have to listen to it if you dont want to. 

i was lucky enough to find a set of nice 6.40-15 originals for mine. i got them from kelly, a vendor on this forum.

another thing many people dont realize is that 'new' tires dont size like they used to. you really arent getting the same sizes as back in the day. every new tire ive purchased in the last 12-18 months (admittedly they have only been carlisle brand) are undersize compared to the older ones they have replaced......

edit:

heres how standard size 6.40-15 tires on the standard rims look, i dont think any narrower would look right......

IMG_1070.jpg

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

pacer

Martin,

I AM a bit concerned about the 'fit' and 'appearence' the 5-15s are gonna give me, knowing the original size was 6.40-15 --- but.... what the heck are the choices? Dang, I've prowled the web for days and there are just really poor choices, the few I found were waaay out of my price range.

I'll do a follow up on them wnen I get them mounted and on the tractor - that will probably be a while, its scattered all over the garage right now.

Martin

i edited my post above showing the 'standard' size tire.....

as far as finding new tires, i remember seeing them at miller tire, but just went there looking for something similar in size and nothing. maybe not looking in the right place.....

Edited by Martin

clintonnut

Get american farmer 7.60-15 ag tires. They are about an inch taller and are a nice aggressive ag tread. Clear the fenders on the front edge by about a half an inch.

They look really good! Miller had them last time I checked.

HPIM3002.jpg

HPIM3003.jpg

HPIM3001.jpg

Martin

charlie, is that the same tire as in my link?

if they are, thats great. i wasnt sure how they would look....

Edited by Martin