Sign in to follow this  
dw83415

Hello from Flint MI

dw83415

Hello, I'm a new wheel horse owner and found the forum here that seems to have all the knowledge in the world about these things. I learned to drive and shift as a little kid on what I believe was a 854, and ever since I thought, when I buy my first home I'll find an old wheel horse to use. So I picked up a 69 Charger V8 with the vert kohler engine and hydro trans. I'm looking for a pic of a restored one if anybody has ever done one. I get the impression that this is the only model of wheel horse that people avoid like the plague.

I told my wife I was going to pick up a V8 Charger and she was happy.... I rolled up to the house with it in the truck, she did not think it was funny...Oh well.

Sparky

:WRS:

Most wifes dont get it.....including mine!

Mike............

Kelly

:WRS:  to another MI guy, and the vert shaft tractors are not real popular, even though the early ones are pretty tough

Jake Kuhn

AMC RULES

Stick with it Flint, she'll come around...eventually.

bk-scouter

-BK

rexman72

welcome to RS

VinsRJ

KATO

Any WHEEL HORSE is a good start.

Welcome to RED SQUARE !!

buckrancher

welcome to :rs:

dw83415

Thanks everybody!

chazm

Chas

SousaKerry

I just rustled a little ranger from a guy over in Flint about a month or 2 ago,  He had lots of others but not many good deals.

Oh and I have a couple of Vert's hid in the shed as well but alas neither run...   Just don't have the heart to haul em in for scrap.

Edited by Sousakerry2

dw83415

I just rustled a little ranger from a guy over in Flint about a month or 2 ago,  He had lots of others but not many good deals.

Oh and I have a couple of Vert's hid in the shed as well but alas neither run...   Just don't have the heart to haul em in for scrap.

Yeah the prices around here have been a bit high for someone like me. There was a old round hood model on craigslist but it was sitting in waist high weeds, missing parts, and appeared to have rusted thru the body, and even that was over 2 bills. It takes patients to find a good deal I guess.

Its to bad those verts of yours are no good, my wife said there was no way I would get this thing to run, but in less than a day I was driving around the yard!

can whlvr

welderman85

hello and welcome another mi guy

Amanda

Welcome to  :rs:

smoreau

Yeah the prices around here have been a bit high for someone like me. There was a old round hood model on craigslist but it was sitting in waist high weeds, missing parts, and appeared to have rusted thru the body, and even that was over 2 bills. It takes patients to find a good deal I guess.

Its to bad those verts of yours are no good, my wife said there was no way I would get this thing to run, but in less than a day I was driving around the yard!

:WRS: from just north of you!! I have seen that tractor in person. The guy is hard to deal with and thinks they are gold. the trans is full of water will not move. the engine has a clunk when you try and roll it over, but that is where I got my daughters Lawn Ranger for 2 bills, But it ran and had all straight metal and a k161 on it.  Hear are some pics of the way I found it.

039.jpg

035.jpg

And know

photo-5-1.jpg

photo-2-1.jpg

And this is the 854 you were talking about

3mb3pb3o65V55Z65W3b13839eea9a91501a1c1.j

dw83415

:WRS: from just north of you!! I have seen that tractor in person. The guy is hard to deal with and thinks they are gold. the trans is full of water will not move. the engine has a clunk when you try and roll it over, but that is where I got my daughters Lawn Ranger for 2 bills, But it ran and had all straight metal and a k161 on it.  Hear are some pics of the way I found it.

And this is the 854 you were talking about

Yes indeed it was the same! That Lawn Ranger looks good after you restored it, I have to ask where you get your diamond plate? I was considering purchasing a sheet from ALRO in Grand Blanc but i'm still looking. Also, is your seat mounted directly on the rear fender piece of the Ranger?

Thanks!

smoreau

I did get it from Alro. It was a Drop piece, and yes the seat is mounted directly to the fender. It is a 66 and thats the way it was from the factory.

dw83415

Maybe this is what your wife was expecting!

Yeah seriously, i'll tell you that if looks could kill, the look she gave me when she saw this thing in the truck would have knocked me out cold... :angry-cussingblack:

smoreau

Know just imagine the look she will give you when you bring home the 4th and 5th tractor  :ychain: 

dw83415

I did get it from Alro. It was a Drop piece, and yes the seat is mounted directly to the fender. It is a 66 and thats the way it was from the factory.

I see, a drop piece is really good thinking. Did you get your tires local or have them shipped?

smoreau

Miller tire in OH. cheaper then local. and actually the paint job is just spray can IH red