Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Sockets - 6 vs 12 Point

leeave96

I picked up a ratchet and socket set from Sears today. To my surprise it was a 6 point socket set.

Sometimes I'll give a small socket/ratchet set as a gift to friends or family
members and hardly ever see a "set" that is 6 point, usually it's always
12 point.

I prefer 6 point sockets. What is your preference - what's in your tool box?

On another note, I have heard that Sears is taking their ratchets/sockets
to china? Don't know if it's true. The ones I bought today were made
in USA. It's a nice socket set and better than the stanley stuff IMHO
sold at walmart, but I don't think it's as good as the Craftsman
socket/ratchets my Dad bought back in the late 60's or early 70's.

BTW, one of the best ratchet/socket sets I've used are the Crescent ones. I
have seen them sold at Tractor Supply. I think I bought mine at a True
Value hardware several years ago. They are fine tooth ratchets and are
nicely done. At the salt mine where I work, they buy some of these
Crescent socket/tool kits for use in the plant. Though they are not S-K
or Mac, they seem to be well received by the guys using them.

Thanks!

Bill

KC9KAS

I prefer the 6pt sockets, and 6pt box end wrenches because they fit the bolt head/nut much better and less chance of rounding the bolt/nut.

I too have a lot of Craftsman sockets/ratchets/wrenches, and very happy with them.

Note: Some of the tools are 40 years old as of last Christmas, as I got these as a Christmas present.

squonk

You name the socket and I got it. 6 pt's are the best in 99 % of all circumstances. Occasionally I'll get an oddball star head bolt and a 12 will all most always work. I've been getting the 8 pts out a lot lately for square plugs and a lot of tamper-proof torx bits.

Rock farmer

I think that the "Craftsman" are the USA and the sears are the made in china.

I like the twelve point unless I have a problem then the six point helps.

GlenPettit

In most cases, quality is related the price you pay.  

China can make some very good quality tools, but, it's our CEO's and their "Bean Counters" that want to make a huge profit and order cheap tools that look like the good ones, and create the profits for the companies and Wall Street. 

Good tools are going to cost more; to know which ones to buy we have to talk to and ask each other which brand or model is the best to get, from experience & use (Consumers Reports does a good evaluation, if you read the entire article), and here on RED SQUARE, like we are now.

Like with the Craftsman brand, suppliers & sources do change, so the quality is not always the same.

In most cases, with American made tools, the company hopes to be around for awhile and is responsible for their own quality & safety, we have laws to protect the consumer, the worker & the environment, and even a poor quality tool can be returned, replaced or refunded if we stay forceful.  Unfortunately, fewer things seem to be made here in America right now.

chazm

I use them all... 6pt,8pt sq, 12pt, torq head, Top of the line to taiwan speicals. Anybody that's been in the business has them as well

The problem I have is you never can find the one you need.  :eusa-think:     wat up with that .... :no:

Chas

JimD

6 point.

MalMac

6 Pt. most of the time, but I have found some quality issues have pop up. Even in the high dollar brands. Found out that some of the 6's have had too much slop and can goof up a good bolt as well as a 12pt. On the other hand found some really bad quality bolts are so out of tolerance form being new out of  the box that you could not get a 6pt on. Almost like the bolt was metric but it was standard. As far as china made, well that's a whole other can of worms. I did not think anything was made here anymore. At least it seems that way to me.

Save Old Iron

No preference on the sockets, but I do like my ratchets as I like my women,

the more teeth the better !

• Like 2

SousaKerry

I have a little of everything the best ones I ever owned were some I bought off an infomercial 15 years ago called metwrench but I have lost most of them and they only came in 3/8 drive.... Craftsman are nice but I hate the dang rachet handles they dig into your hand when pulling hard. Give me a nice round handle. Yeah 6 point is the way to go

JC 1965

I defiantly like the six point sockets . I agree The shape of the craftsman ratchets are not the most comfortable, I would have to go with snap on there, i like the round ratchet handles. Most of my tools were bought when they were on sale, that's when i can afford them.   :hide:

6wheeler

Like most everyone else. I have 6's 8's 12's square and torx. And like most everyone, I have several different brands. My favorites are my Thorsen tools(not thorsen allied). They are old and used hard. I still have my original Thorsen 77C 1/2" drive ratchet that I bought in 1978 and still use it daily. I have had to replace a couple of the sockets with craftsman because they aren't made any more. I never went in for the Snap-on or Mac or anything like that. They are just too expensive for what I need. Although, I do have to say. Since my boys don't work on their cars here anymore, my tools don't seem to disappear only to be found by the mowers and launched into the next county. So I haven't had replace any for awhile. I think the 12 points are the most versatile for most places but, they do split more easily.

coldone

My socket drawer is a mutt. I have blackhawk, craftsman, SK, proto, tiawan, china. 6Pt, 12pt dosent matter to me most of the time as long as it will fit. If I know there is a good chance of rounding the bolt I grab a 6 pt as they tend to not slip as bad.

I long time ago we were taught that it was thick walled (6pt) and thin walled (12pt) and there have been a few cases in my life where the wall thickness mattered.

rick

Mostly 6 point Snap On, some Mac and Craftsman. Always kept a 3/8 drive 12 point 3/8" socket for the lower rear c/s seal retainer bolts on the Mopar "B" engines.....

Coadster32

I also had the Metrinch set. It was awesome. No worries about metric or american. Stolen was the problem on that. I saw sears sell them for a short time as well. I do prefer the 6 points, but 12s do have their purpose.

Paul D.

I prefer the 6 points and I love my crescent set. They carry a lifetime warranty as well.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

"D"- Man

I mainly have and use craftsman 6 point and craftsman ratchets ( would prefer snap-on ratchets but maybe will have to wait on those for awhile) I have checked the new style sockets Kobalt makes but have only bought and used one of them because Sears didn't have Craftsman in the size I needed in stock. I also have some "stragglers" that are 12 point that I have accumulated and know that Wheel Horse did use some 12 point bolts so we can't do completely away with them. Mark.

IthacaJeff

My tool box is also a mutt, gathered from my dad, my grandfather, my grandfather-in-law,

and garage sales. I've broken 12 pt. sockets, but don't ever recall cracking a 6 pt. I

would LOVE to trash most of it for a nice new COMPLETE set, but that just ain't gonna

happen.

My only regret is that my prize ratchet, a 1/4" Snap-On that belonged to my grandfather

and then my dad, were stolen from a jobsite with a few other tools.  It still hurts.

Jeff