Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Any F1 fans out there

Anglo Traction

I have a hunch there are a few of you from brief comments in posts and having read the current posts about concerns about the way Nascar is going in the U.S., I thought I'd ask about this Motor Sport.

I for one have followed F1 from way back in the very early 60's and despite the seasons that took a bit of a dive as far as Competitive Driving and stupid rule changes, I have stuck with it. It is about the only type of Sport I watch (and some Rallying).

I'm hoping it is on the way up this season with 20 races around the world and Driver/Team changes to mix things up a bit.?.

The worst thing that happened as far as I'm concerned was when the BBC lost the coverage contract and from then on the races were interrupted with Commercials. I don't have Satelite TV, so I'm reliant on the standard digital TV coverage and only ever once been able to go to a race (and I was working there too).

So what do you like or dislike about it?.

For me it's the sheer beauty of the Cars, the Technology, the speed of direction changes, the challenges of the tracks and conditions, the skill and boldness of the overtaking etc etc. Then there are the Locations. So I suppose I'm addicted.

meadowfield

Yeah, I like my F1, unfortunately for you I am part of the sky team - agree its a shame it's not on BBC. However the sky channel is very impressive with lots of additional data and in car footage.

One of the nice perks for me is that we had the spare 2011 mcclaren car in reception at work for most of last year, it's just been replaced with last years spare Force India car. :)

For me it is the technology, making an engine that can rev so hard and a car that is so light using composites.

Mark

sorekiwi

I hate to admit it, but I havent watched an F1 race in years.  I'm still interested, but I seem to have too much going on to be able to find the time to watch or follow it anymore.

I spent several years in Europe (working on racecars in the "feeder" series), and in those days we would watch qualifying live on TV without fail.  This was the early 90's when the acticve suspension was at its peak.  The attraction of F1 was the almost unlimited technology that was allowed in those days.  I guess Imola in 1993 changed all that.

I have a few friends that I worked with that went on to work in F1.  Sometimes I wish I had stayed in Europe, it would be nice to be able to say that I'd done it.  But as it turned out I went to the US instead, did the Indycar thing instead.

Off topic as far as F1 is concerned, but I am a little disillusioned with open wheel racing worldwide.  Too many "Spec" series where everyone has the same car and engine, small grids in every series, and technology dumbed down.  The first Formula Ford festival I did was 1992 with 212 cars entered,  about 5 different car manufacturers and awesome racing.  Seems like its all gone downhiill since those days.

And dont get me started on Taxi-cab racing (Nascar)...

neil

I also love the F1 racing , my Son has just completed his 2nd year degree  in F1 mechanics, he is now looking to get sponsership to get  into a team .

sorekiwi

Hoping I can get this to work.

For Americans that fail to understand the rest of the worlds fascination with F1, have a look at this short video:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=311441272298402" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Martin

Hoping I can get this to work.

For Americans that fail to understand the rest of the worlds fascination with F1, have a look at this short video:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=311441272298402" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

back home in Adelaide (my home city) the F1 was hosted for quite a few years, while i like most motorsports, i always had the most fun watching the F1 racing through the streets of my home town... 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/6cwHbKaE5gk

Edited by Martin

roscoemi

I like F1 when I can catch it, usually on late at night or early morning. The announcers here seem to be watching a feed they have no knowledge of and ad-lib as they go. As with all sports, as the money comes in parity comes in to create equallity which always fails and alienates the core fans. Indy racing failed over a power struggle over Indy, spec motors etc. NASCAR is doing the same thing, try to bring the masses and lose everybody. F1 is stupid fast, but one car usually checks out and it becomes boring. Put 3 or 4 cars fighting it out it would be better. But NASCAR's 43 fighting at the end is equally stupid and at the long tracks ends that way without fail.

64s

I don't miss a race no matter what time its on.  I got hooked in 1995 going to the Canadian Grand Prix and have since been to 5 of the European tracks and at Indy.  I think I fell in love with the sheer beauty of the cars.  I got to see one up close and it just amazed me how small the car really is yet just as graceful/beautiful as it is powerful,  of course the track and advertising girls were right up there on the same level.  Unfortunately a wife and children put a stop to traveling just to see a race.

I don't watch any other racing, but from what I hear the sport has suffered just like NASCAR and Indy cars given all of the safety regulations.  It has taken some of the excitement out of it - but I'll continue to watch.

Kai Thomsen

I love F1, seen most of the races on tv from the Turbo era and up,  and saw every race on tv when Ferrari and Michael Schumacher  dominated the show for several years.  To me, the 2004 Ferrari is one of the most beautyful F1 cars ever made. The new F1 cars.. is butt ugly with the odd nose and looks, they're still fast.. but i miss the old cars and the power and sound of the 3.5L V10 engines. 

Anglo Traction

Thanks for the responses and the Vid Clips Gents. I tend to agree that the late 80s- early nineties cars were good. I'll never forget the challenge that Mansell had with that rear tyre Blowout at full pelt and hung on to it. I also miss the Murray Walker commentary and Gaffs.

The good thing is , every couple of years (this is one of them), I go down to deepest West Sussex for the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where F1 Cars and Drivers from all eras run the time trails. All accesssible to view up close in the Paddock area.

Lots of racing guys and cars from the U.S as well.      Here is a link to give you an idea if your interested  http://www.goodwood.co.uk/festival-of-speed/news-and-coverage/articles/line-up-for-the-20th-anniversary.aspx      

Thanks again

• Like 1

farmer

Bit late with my post, sorry :hide:

I'm an armchair f1 fan,  and like you Richard if it's not on the bbc I don't get to watch.  :(  

I'm not a follower of other types of motorsport so I can't comment on them, but with things like DRS and KERS f1 racing stays fresh, racing is all about overtaking, that's what makes me watch.... Well that, and the cars and the drivers and the curcuits and the technology and the pit stops and the young ladies and the weather and...

Favourite track for me would be Spa.

• Like 1