Sign in to follow this  
Agage1

LoBoy

Agage1

What are you're guys thoughts on a cub loboy? I don't know much about them just that I like the looks. Anyway there are a few for sale for around 1000 but I can't justify buying something just cause it looks cool

Challenger

I bought a nice one a couple of years ago at an auction.  Had 3 point hitch, (not all do), and sickle bar mower.  I paid $1500.  I kept it 2 years in my barn and never used it and then sold it for $1900.

After buying it I learned a couple of things from talking to people:  This model is known for clutch problems and, if I recall correctly, the power take-off may rotate opposite of most tractors.

Other than an occasional start and idle I never used it.

Like you, I thought it looked cool and I bought it on impulse.  I'm glad I sold it before any clutch problems could present themselves.

Good-Luck!

Agage1

I've been looking into buying something a little bigger to work our .5 acre garden. Liked the looks of loboy not sure I needed a full-size tractor and the loboy is somewhere in-between. Ford 8 and 9 ns are about the same price as a loboy around here. Still like the looks of the loboy though.

Challenger

I've never owned a Ford "N" tractor but I like them.  My gut tells me a 8 or 9 N would be a much better choice.  Just wait for the right one price and condition wise.

Shuboxlover

Around here you could buy 3 or 4 Lowboys for the price of a half decent N......for some reason, those N's might as well be painted Green and Yeller

diesel cowboy

There are 2 types of Cub LoBoy.  One is a shorter version of the offset Farmall Cub and the other is a Cub driveline in a frame and looks like the Cub Cadets, and also has a model number to go with the LoBoy name.  I.E. 154, 184, and 185.  If its one of the numbered type there an okay tractor if you want to do some mowing but as for heavier ground work its not the best.  As its already been stated they have clutch issues as well as pto clutch issues, hydraulic issues and the steering wasnt designed for a tractor that big(its basicaly an oversized ross steering box simmilar to what the d series have).  If either of the clutches has a problem and needs repair it can easily run into the $1,000 range for each one.  The pto also runs backwards from a standard pto on any other farm tractor and runs at 2000 rpm like the d series do, so there limited to the attachments made for them by International and the Woods mower decks.  I've had to work on several and after doing so I would never buy one to use, maybe to have one to complete a collection of the different types of Cubs or if it was cheap enough and i needed engine or transmission parts for a regular Cub.  But that would be it.  Hope this helps.  Stewart

• Like 2

decksetter

I have a 73 cub, but not a lo boy. It is a cool little tractor, but I don't know if I could do much with it that I can't do with a wheel horse. They were only rated at 9hp at the drawbar, not near as maneuverable, etc. They are a cool tractor and fun to use, just a nice change from a garden tractor sometimes. Mine has a belly mower that is basically a bush hog. It is only 42". The finish deck for them was 60" I think, and the snow plow/grader blade setup is 54". If you're looking for something bigger you might be happier with a Ford. If you're talking about the later ones where you sit in the center, they may be a good bit more tractor, but I haven't been on one.

kaiser

i could have had my pop's cub, but they are big, too big for thier power plants IMHO.

they are heavy and tend to damage softer ground. he's a bit upset with me for going with a wheel horse over his cub.

the wh will run circles around that cub and do more work faster. granted his is not a low boy but still they are pretty much the same thing.

cubs are great if you want a nostalgic tractor hanging around but i find them to be more of a pain to use, especially over a horse.

Wheel-N-It

I'm glad i read this about the LowBoy. Thank you Diesel Cowboy. I have an old friend who has a LowBoy. He wants to sell it to me. It needs the engine rebuilt. After reading this thread I think it would be best for me to pass on this tractor.

diesel cowboy

I'm glad i read this about the LowBoy. Thank you Diesel Cowboy. I have an old friend who has a LowBoy. He wants to sell it to me. It needs the engine rebuilt. After reading this thread I think it would be best for me to pass on this tractor.

The lowboy is a decent machine if its the right one.  The early type is an offset like the regular Cub and is one I'd buy in a second if I had the money for it.  The other is an "inline" style that I'd only get for parts.  Heres a couple pics I grabbed off the internet.  The first is the offset one and the second is the "inline" one that has all the problems.post-6402-0-15353900-1364010051.jpgpost-6402-0-12135600-1364010135.jpg  The offset one came in several different body styles as it was evolved and was either 6 or 12 volt depending on the year.  It also could have had a pan seat or a deluxe type like the picture shows.  Its a decent all around tractor that  I've never really had any major troubles with working on them unless the owner of it did something dumb like try to pull a wrecker with it or something it was never designed to do.  The other one was the replacement and IH just tried to make it look like their garden tractor line any way they could and it didnt work out very well.   Stewart

• Like 1