Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

What Was The Best All Around...

leeave96

What was the best all around engine used in the Wheelhorse tractors - regardless of model in terms of getting the job done?  I'm thinking of hp vs cost vs fuel mileage, etc.

I've got a 20 hp Onan down to a 10 hp Kohler.  And a 12 hp and 14 hp in between.

I'm thinking if you rule out extreme power needs, but yet enough power to knock down the grass when it's thick and growing in the Spring, a 14 hp would be my pic, but from a hp vs gas mileage standpoint, I'm thinking maybe a 12 hp would be the best all around engine in these old tractors.

What say you?

Thanks!

Bill

SALTYWRIGHT

I SAY 10 TO 12 H/P.

Shynon

I would say 12hp Kohler hands down.

Tom

whfan74

I would say their best was the K-181 8 horse........and the K-301 12 horse for h.p., fuel consumption, functionality, etc....

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

12 is a hoss but a full tank of fuel in my 8s will flat ware me out before they run out,

Jim in Texas

• Like 1

IronDuke

i like the 12 the best, ive got one on my 312. i do enjoy the 8's fuel economy though

• Like 1

papaglide

12 is a hoss but a full tank of fuel in my 8s will flat ware me out before they run out,

Jim in Texas

That being said, would an 8 on a B-80 handle a 42"SD deck cutting normal height grass?

MaineDad

The 12HP Kohler. The smallest of the big blocks that sips the fuel...

artfull dodger

I think the K series 10hp are the smoothest running for a single, decent on fuel and powerfull enough to run a 42" mower deck normaly.  But its hard to give up listening to the throaty roar of the Onan when mowing, even if its one thirsty beast!  Same WH didnt put diesels in the tractors.  I had a red IH Cub that had a Kubota tripple cylinder diesel in it, I could mow the yard 5-8 times more than the 17hp Kohler flat twin powered version of the same tractor.  I am betting one of the B or C series with a 42" mower deck and a single cylinder air cooled diesel would beat all of the gassers hands down for penny pinching on fuel usage.  Mike

IronDuke

Jim in Texas

That being said, would an 8 on a B-80 handle a 42"SD deck cutting normal height grass?

ya i have a 36" on my b80 and it cuts like a champ so i imagin the 42" cant be much different

SALTYWRIGHT

I PUT A 10 HORSE POWER DIESEL IN MY 417-8. IT WILL RUN ALL DAY ON VERY LITTLE FUEL. IT HAD A 17 H/P , BUT THIS 10 H/P DIESEL WILL OUT PULL IT. AT WIDE OPEN IT WILL BURN ONE GAL. PER 8 HOURS.  AT 1/2 R.P.M. IT WILL RUN FOR 20 HOURS.

546cowboy

You're getting off track here including a diesel. I know you can't come close to a  diesel for fuel consumption but the question was which standard engine for power and fuel consumption. A K-301 will run a 48" deck if it has to at some cost of fuel. But I don't think there is a better one for all around use. :twocents-02cents:

Although nothing sounds as good as a 520 with that big Onan in it except for maybe a diesel.

Edited by 546cowboy

fisherman

i dont know about that i think my 16hp k341 mite sound a wee bit better! lol

TT

I would lean strongly toward the K-301 / M-12 engines.

20 years from now when those china diesels are beer cans and seamless gutters, those old iron Kohler singles will still be chugging away. B)

• Like 7

Kelly

I agree and I will say out of the few hunderd tractors I've had here over the past few years all brands included the 12hp Kohler was in a vast majority of them, and a good number of them still ran/run good.

JackC

12 horses can do a lot of work but I would not settle for just one.  

My 8 hp Kohler C-81 makes a nice quiet, economical mower and is my favorite for a smaller lawn.

My sweet running 20 hp ONAN 520 HC is my favorite for a large lawn.  It runs fast and sucks gas like gangbusters but it is a pleasure to drive.

boovuc

12 HP K and Magnums. Right in the middle of HP, fuel economy, torqe and bulletproofness!

can whlvr

i think it depends on need,when we get 12 inches of wet snow i pick the 341,but im lucky to have a 10,12,13,14,16 hp engines and i usually go to the 12hp or the 13 honda,i like to wear out the throw away engine,but shes got grunt too,its just not a kohler by any means

Agage1

I have all of the k's and love them all. If I had to pick one it would be the 241 just because it was on the wheel horse that got me into this hobby. I got sick of fooling around with these modern machines and decided to fix the horse I had as a kid. That tractor sat in a field for over 10 years. After cleanig the carb and fuel system and replacing the plug it started right up. I have since rebuilt it and use it daily

leeave96

Great replies everyone!

Thanks!

Bill

Ken B

I'd have to agree with the guys that said 12hp. It is most times more hp than you need. I never came upon a time when 12 hp wasn't enough to push whatever snow we get here in CT. or not enough to run a 48 inch deck. I think I'll leave my pig on gas 520 in the garage this summer and enjoy the sounds and fuel savings of my 310-8 while cutting the grass. I'm sure its gonna be up to 4.50 a gallon this summer.

VinsRJ

I'm partial to the original WH power plant... a Clinton 1200 3.5hp iron block.

Lane Ranger

Considering how many RJ's are still around with the Clinton 1200 3.5 or the Kohler K 90 or K 91 4 HP has to be up there in cost, power and efficiency !

ericj

i would have to say either 12 hp or 14 hp iron blocks but my 99 314-8 kohler command would beat both of them for fuel economy. i could mow my 100x200 ft lot 4 time and still have gas left in the tank with a 42" rd

eric j 

artfull dodger

I have to agree on the Onan's being a pig on gas.  I hope your wrong and we dont see fuel prices that high, but I am betting $4.50 or even higher.  Espicaly if crap happens in the middle east ect.  Only gonna take one good mess up and we will be north of $5 a gallon in an instant.   I agree on the 10-12hp Kohlers being probably the best mix of horsepower vs fuel economy in the older gas engines.   Mike