Sign in to follow this  
fordnut

what model tecumseh do I have?

fordnut

I have a tecumseh engine that came on my suburban and I do not know what model it is.The engine has a 1" shaft and has a red mounting plate on the bottom.The carbureator is not original to the engine but the air cleaner is and it has great compression. Any ideas on what model this engine is or what it would be worth? Your input is appreciated.

post-5586-0-13389400-1361756340_thumb.jp

post-5586-0-09170000-1361756348_thumb.jp

post-5586-0-50605100-1361756356_thumb.jp

post-5586-0-47355500-1361756365_thumb.jp

post-5586-0-38264600-1361756374_thumb.jp

sorekiwi

I'm not super good on my Tecumseh identification, but I'm guessing its an H60.  I know it is not an H55.

groundhog47

See if you can find any numbers stamped in the blower housing up top on portion that partly covers head and we can give a shot at it. If no numbers stamped there, must have had a stick on that went missin. If all that fails and you would want to take off head and meas bore and stoke, that would help (B&S had several with same bore & stroke)(Tec. may also do this, can't recall).  

Reviewing pictures, my eyes may be playin' tricks, but looks like a number on blower shroud just opposite carb side, next to fuel line hole, Facing rope start that would be right side slightly above hole near where shoud angles toward front coming off head (does that make sense). My eyes and pic magn aren't real good nowadays.

Edited by groundhog47

fordnut

I looked and I cant find any numbers stamped into the block or shroud I know it is a tecumseh because of the carb I have on it is off a vh70.

sorekiwi

Your serial tag has been removed.  It was a rectangular metal plate rivetted to the front of the shroud, where you have the big rusty patch now.

It can be (kinda) seen in this shot:

IMG_1830_zps7325b9f9.jpg

groundhog47

In manuals here there is a tecumseh manual with the H & HM engine specs, page 99 - 100 that list bore and stroke of the H 60, 70 & hm70, 80 and so on. My eyes aren't that good but I suspect possibly 8hp. To be certain check out the specs, certain H70-HM80 have same Bore x Stroke, H 60 2.5 stroke x 2.625 bore, H, HM 70, 80 -HM 100 2.532 stroke. If yo find bore below 2.75 it's 6 hp or below if stroke is 2.5.

If bore greater than 2.75 is 7 hp or greater if stroke is 2.532, bore over 3.125 is greater than 8hp. I'm not sure how big an engine would fit in a Suburban, so I would stick with pulling head and check bore & stroke.  Oh yes if you can get a caliper on PTO where comes out of oil seal, H 60 and below are .9985-.9990 (bearing tolerance) and HM 70 and above are 1.1870-1.1875. H 70 has two different .9985 and 1.180. Man this is almost confusin', but that'll maybe save a head pull for now.

Engine models V50, H50, H60, H70, VH50, VH60, VH70require a flat and a belleville washer on bolts numbered1, 3, and 7. Current production HM80 and HM100 useflat washers only on bolts numbered 2 and 3 in conjunctionwith the gas tank mounting bolts. All other head bolts onHM80 and HM100 use a flat and a belleville washer oneach bolt. (from Tec manual)

I clearly see where Mike saw where tag was.

Mike what size is that engine, looks 10 or so.

Edited by groundhog47

sorekiwi

The engine in my pic is an H60 Tecumseh (6HP), original equipment for a '63 Lawn Ranger.

groundhog47

The engine in my pic is an H60 Tecumseh (6HP), original equipment for a '63 Lawn Ranger.

Mike, you prob nailed it first as you stated in post #2. Looks are deceiving and my eyes deceive me often, Thanks

SousaKerry

Like said earlier best way for a positive id is to remove head and measure bore and stroke but i would bet it is less then 6 HP.