Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Oil filled coil

bo dawg

I was looking at this k341st engine I found, spec# 71345, mfg in 1984. It has the

Diamond LB 85 12v oil filled coil. Is this oil filled good? I guess I wasn't aware of something of such.

Can I use it to convert my charger 12 magnito ign to battery ign using this coil?

(TT if you read this you know what I mean.)

Thanks B)

TT

Yes, oil filled is good. They are basically the same as a large transformer - which is what an ignition coil actually is. (The oil helps keep them cool.)

That coil should be just what you need for your Charger ignition swap B)

bo dawg

Cool :whistle:B) TT I,m glad you were online.

Well let me ask you , I have the toggle switch that came with it too on the panel everything tied into, it has 4 post on the back. I understand how it was wired to run it. Is that the type I need? heck... it even has the inline fuse too you told me I should have. B)

TT

You can use the DPST switch, but you'll only need two of the terminals. (on the same side)

I suspect the rectifier output was also switch controlled on the K-341. (to keep from accidentally draining the battery)

bo dawg

yes, it was. Does it matter which two I use?

TT

You can use two of the terminals on either side.

switch.jpg

Wire orientation doesn't really matter on a SPST or DPST switch, but I usually hook the power feed wire up to the center post. (because DPDT switches must be hooked up that way to function correctly)