Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

Road legal?

Charlie Smith

Hello All. Not that I want too or anything... I'm just curious can you get these wheel horses road legal/ road registered? If so... How do you go around doing it... What will they need to become road legal. In the UK of course.

Thanks

Charlie.

Don1977

You need to check with Meadowfield he has one that is road legal.

Sparky

This kinda talk makes me real jelous! I would love to be able to cruise the streets "legally".

Maybe tool on down to the local 7-11 for a coffee on Sunday morning.

Mike.............

HorseWhisperer

I too would like knowledge of a road legal Red Wonder.I think that can only happen in Florida?I need some of that goodness,maybe a good l slow speed pursuit?

wheeledhorseman

Mark (Meadowfield) is the person to ask but my limited understanding is this.

Here in the UK if it has an engine and propels you along then it is classed as a motor vehicle when not being used on private property.

So if you were to drive a WH across a public road to say your neighbor opposite to mow their grass then your WH should be registered and be displaying a licence plate.

It would be tax exempt (no annual fee to pay) and exempt from an MOT (annual test) but must be insured though the annual cost is relatively little. If its for daytime use only it doesn't need lights.

Having said that I wouldn't want to use a WH even in a quiet country lane without wearing a high vis vest and having a flashing beacon on the tractor. Even the smallest of automobiles travelling slowly can surely take you out if they don't see you in time!

Although exempt from annual testing it is your responsibility to ensure that it's road worthy for obvious reasons.

How am I doing here Mark?

meadowfield

There are lots of stories of the use and legalities, I would agree with your comments Andy though...

I have two road registered horses, my GT14 and c101. I have had letters of authenticity from Toro in the US to give me an age and country of manufacture. As ours are shown they are already insured with the NFU. So then it's a case of getting form v55 from the dvla and filling in the details.

I then go to my local dvla office with letter, pics, insurance, form and 55 quid. Within a week the tax disc comes and a few days later I get a v5.

I did mine so I could do the evening runs at some of the shows, though haven't joined in yet. The more astute may have noticed me on the road in the snow ploughing videos :)

• Like 1

Charlie Smith

Thank you. But meadowfield.. How exactly did you go around getting the letters of authenticity from toro? What information did you send? And I too am insured with NFU for the shows. ( public liability ) insurance....

Thank you

Charlie.

meadowfield

I went on the toro site and filled in the customer enquiry form, they sent me a headed toro reply and I used that.

You are supposed to get the authority of a club for these things, but with 3 years of research, over a hundred sets of decals and the backing of red square, I am probably one of those authorities - and when I get stuck I can always rely on Richard (anglotraction) :)

Mark

• Like 1

Charlie Smith

Ah okay thank you.

Charlie.

Trouty56

This kinda talk makes me real jelous! I would love to be able to cruise the streets "legally".

Maybe tool on down to the local 7-11 for a coffee on Sunday morning.

Mike.............

Don't give "the man" any ideas.....I read an article that since we (in PA of course) are using less fuel the fuel tax revenue is shrinking.  There is talk of a per mile tax as a way of recouping that lost money....

Conserve...conserve....now we will tax you for that great effort.

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hello All. Not that I want too or anything... I'm just curious can you get these wheel horses road legal/ road registered? If so... How do you go around doing it... What will they need to become road legal. In the UK of course.

Thanks

Charlie.

You are fortunate to have a road legal one, that does increase the value somewhat... I assume you have the log book too?

KC9KAS

My small town allows golf carts on the town streets....They have to meet certain requirements.

An older (almost blind) guy ride his mower to the C-store, Post Office and Bank. I noticed he has a "Golf Cart" sticker on his mower. I haven't asked him if the town cop told him he had to have the sticker.

I however drive my tractor on the streets when I want to no matter what the reason. I never give it a thought that I could be breaking the law.....

I will plead ignorance if and when I get "pulled-over". That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 1

Charlie Smith

Ah sounds a great story

Thanks

Charlie

roscoemi

I rode mine all over our small town with a buddy on his hauling the kids in trailers with no problems. Will probably put the orange triangle on it this year and have no worries.

mrocket49

I live in a small farming town and I drive my compact tractor on the roads occasionally with a "slow moving vehicle" emblem  on the back, as required. I suppose I could put one on my Wheel Horse if I wanted to do the same.