Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

HELP NEEDED!!! PAINT ISSUES....

Charlie Smith

Hello All. I am wanting to restore/re-spray my little raider 10. I've got the paint for the body...... But I'm stuck on the wheels... Some seem to have a cream. Some have an off white. And others just have plain white? Any recommendations..

These seem to be cream.

These seem to be white.

Does anybody know the original?

Thanks

Charlie.

meadowfield

Ahhh....my brothers raider 10 with white wheels, and lawn ranger with cream wheels.

The wheel horse white is a little off white, we think land rover wheels (limestone) is a close match but choose IH white along with IH red.

I've mixture but now favouring off white, the wheels get filthy anyway :)

Charlie Smith

Thank you so much :D

Charlie.

wheeledhorseman

Ahhh....my brothers raider 10 with white wheels, and lawn ranger with cream wheels.

The wheel horse white is a little off white, we think land rover wheels (limestone) is a close match but choose IH white along with IH red.

I've mixture but now favouring off white, the wheels get filthy anyway :)

Second that. LandRover Limestone isn't 100% identical to OEM but it's very close.

IH Red isn't identical to OEM but again it's very close.

I'm sure batches used in the factory probably varied slightly and certainly the red was very prone to turning towards orange as it oxidized in sunlight over the years.

Both colours are very easy to obtain.

Andy

Charlie Smith

Ah okay Andy thank you so much for your help.

Charlie.

welderman85

I use rustoluem almond gloss Its kinda like a cream color

Charlie Smith

Thank you :D

Charlie.

Stigian

The bright white wheels on my now sold Raider 10 never looked right, I'm going to try Andy's idea of using LandRover limestone when it come to painting the wheels on my 6X6.

Charlie Smith

Yes I agree I'm going to try land rover off white aswell... And if it doesn't go right. Just makes for more spraying ;) lol

Charlie

meadowfield

Here's what I'm using, oddly looks that blurry after a few pints....

Bradford-20130221-00188_zps65a3d102.jpg

Charlie Smith

So that's case IH red and IH white.... Roughly where can I purchase this from.

Thanks

Charlie.

meadowfield

Pretty well most agricultural merchants. Up here we use ripon farm services.

Down south you can try Ernest Doe, we got a very close match to the original raider seat there....

Charlie Smith

Ah that's brilliant then. There's a Ernest Doe walking distance from me... :D

Charlie.

meadowfield

The top lawn ranger is using IH red and white....

C-121uk

My wheels were done in IH white, here is what they looked like...

c-121uk179_zpsfc874f66.jpg

Charlie Smith

Ah, we'll I'm defiantly going to pop in and talk to someone at the local Ernest Doe. Do you think they Will stock it on the shelf? Or would I have to wait for them to order it in... Plus it all depends on what quantities they sell it and how much ill need to do a whole spray job. :)

Thanks

Charlie.

meadowfield

The two I've been to in Essex and hertfordshire have both had a boot stock of paints.

You can always give them a call - but ag merchants are good places to look around for spares and inspiration :D

Charlie Smith

Ah okay thanks for your help. :D

Charlie.

Anglo Traction

I reckon it would be best to clean up a section of good paint on the inside of your wheels and check it against a colour chart first, assuming you want to get as close to what you think is original.  As long as it's not Brilliant white or too Flesh coloured, it should blend in with most other exhibits if your showing.   

Charlie Smith

Thank you very much. :)

Charlie

KC9KAS

I use rustoluem almond gloss Its kinda like a cream color

I use the same....Rustoluem Almond

Whmaverick

For wheels I use half almond and half gloss white mixed 50/50 with catalist hardener! Better match than strait almond.

Stigian

Here's what I'm using, oddly looks that blurry after a few pints....

Bradford-20130221-00188_zps65a3d102.jpg

What kind of paint is this Mark? Enamel?

meadowfield

I don't recall it saying enamel on the tin, but it does set very hard and chip the same.

Stigian

Thanks Mark... Hhmm.. I wonder what it is then..

I'm guessing you didn't clear coat it after the colour coats?