Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

16 hp Onan

Wheelhorse84

Was looking at a 416-8 and was wondering if the 16 hp onans are a good engine? You hear a lot about the 20 hp but not much about these. Any input would be appreciated.

Wheelhorse84

Anyone?lol

dbartlett1958

16 HP Onan's rock!  They are a great engine, almost as strong as the 20. As long as they are maintained with oil changes, valve adjustments, and decent care, they will last a long time. 

And they sound so good when working!

If that 416-8 is a running tractor, you better buy it!

Wheelhorse84

It is just didn't know if they had any issues. I am gonna try.

Sparky

For some reason you dont hear as many horror stories about the 16 like you do the 20hp (valve seats). Mine only had the typical carb trouble once from sitting and a ten minute cleaning job got her back on track.

Mike............

• Like 1

JackC

Great engines.  Just keep up with proper maintenance and don't let it overheat from grass build up on the flywheel screen or grime build up on the cooling fins.

Tankman

Can't say anything 'bout the 16 hp Onan.

I have a 20 hp Onan, 520-8 that I picked up a month ago.

The Horse was sitting unused, outdoors, awful mess.

A power wash, oil change, carb cleaner, air cleaner, plug cleanup, and more,

the Onan is purring away. Yeah, I'm enjoying the sound of the engine too.

I was saving this project for spring but, keep headin' down to the barn shop for

just another peek-a-boo and revising of my shopping list. :smile:

MalMac

I do not or have ever had a 16 Onan just the 20. My understanding from what I have read on here and talked to other owners of them is they do suffer somewhat from the same problems the 20 does. I don't think the 16 is as prevalent as the 20 so that's why you don't here as much. Again this is not my own experience just from what others have said.

zeedubbya

I have a 16 horse Onan in a Case 448. It was a replacement for the 18 horse that originally came on it. It's had less issues that my 20 horse on the 520h, but I don't think it's quite as powerful. There isn't much of a difference, but two things really stand out to me. The 16 Horse will bog down a lot more in higher grass, and when using a plow the 16 will do the job but it'll complain more on tougher ground. The 20 horse busts sod likes its it's mission in life! Keep in mind these are two different tractors so it's a bit unfair. I do love the 4 Onan's I've had! Just my 2 cents!

Foozerush

I have a 416-6 onan powered horse, had it for over a year now, tons of power, let the grass grow long once just to see how it would do, didn't skip a beat. Got a snowplow on her now, pushed snow 3 times, maybe 4" was the most, and without chains or weights, had no problem with traction except dealing with a curb on the end of the sidewalk. Keep the fins on the cylinder clear, and the fly wheel screen also, and basic maintenance should keep it running fine. There is a process called de-carbon the heads, do a search on that topic, decide if it will do that onan some good. I would like to get to a WH show near me this summer and find a RS member with a 520 to test drive, curious myself if I could tell the difference in power from a 16 to a 20. And yes the onan sound so tough when you have the throttle up!! 416-8 is a great worker, plenty of attachments available.

Hydro

I loved mine but it popped a valve seat @ 450 hours.  Read up on them.  Onans are notorious for that.   Read this  onan

wheeledhorseman

I picked up this 316-8 last summer. It had obviously seen better times and had quite the worst anger scars on the hood I have come across to date. The tractor and deck had obviously stood outside for a long time but it was largely superficial rust and the deck was in vgc. I didn't pay much for it by UK standards and the intention was to part it out.

gallery_4509_115_260737.jpg

What saved it was the exhaust sound these make and that a couple of guys have already mentioned and the power that the thing has. So it became another project. There's a lot of advice about keeping an Onan in good order on the forum and having read though it I'm not running it again until I've given it a good overhaul. The guy I got it from was into lawn mower racing but decided against using this tractor and sold it on to me. He had the good front tyres from it and I ended up with these  - which I've since changed.

I know Onans are despised by many but I haven't been put off by this.

Andy

Wheelhorse84

I didn't know the put an onan in a 3 series.

Duff

News to me as well!  Hmm..........European option, perhaps? :huhs:

Edited by Duff

wheeledhorseman

News to me as well!  Hmm..........European option, perhaps? :huhs:

Certainly during the 70s we got some variations in models from the Amnor factory in Belgium but after that closed our tractors came from South Bend.

I looked through the specs from the model list it looks like all 316 tractors had the 16 HP Onan.

Andy