Sign in to follow this  
Jake Kuhn

Jake Kuhn

Hi guys,

working on getting a 854 going and have a few questions. First off, does anyone know the wheel horse part# for the generator the engine belt. I would like to see if I have a nos one here in the parts we have. Also, does anyone know if the fuel tank gaskets are still available for these or do I just need to use the permatex gasket sealer?

Ok, for all you guys wanting to know about this tractor and i know I'll be begged for pictures :)

I picked this one up this summer from the duke when I bought my rj58's and my 56 rj35. It needed the trans rebuilt in it but duke was nice enough to give me a spare trans with it. I tore the spare apart last week and just finished rebuilding it and put all new bearings and seals in other that the 1533's. The engine runs great and I just put new brushes and bearings in the generator. Hoping to have this one going in the next couple of weeks. Here are a couple pics of what the tractor looked like when I got it. ~Jake

DSCN0661.JPG

check out that seat! :ROTF:

DSCN0660.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

• Like 2

Anglo Traction

Nice little project Jake. I reckon you'll need pad on the 'Butt Rest' ..look's pretty flat.  Any space planned for a Bull Horn like on your B80?. Man , I bet your neighbours love you when you let that Snort.

Look forward to the progress/pics   

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

64s

I believe the belt number is 1583 (that's the wheel horse number) and the Kohler number is 231605-S.

As for the fuel tank gasket, as of about a year and one half ago, the gaskets were still available, but a quick call to your dealer will give you the answer.

Jake Kuhn

thanks for the info george, 1583 is one I don't have out of like 150 belts! :banghead::)  I'll have to check partstree for one of the gaskets. ~Jake

Coadster32

Nice looking ride you have there. :handgestures-thumbupright:

henryswheelhorsegarage

i did one and the gas ate thur the permatex gasket sealer

welderman85

Great looking project

chazm

Good looking tractor Jake, I got my tank gasket last year off of flee-bay , price wasn't tooo bad

Good luck with her

Chas

Wheel-N-It

Thats gonna be a cool project tractor. Don't forget to install a "Square to Round Butt Seat Adapter" :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

gratefulydeadman

Nice horse there jake. When i restored my 854 I went to the auto parts store and got the stuff and made my own gasket. I was able to get the leaky old one off in one piece. Thank god!!! But that seemed to work pretty good. Its been a year of holding gas and so far so good... The gasket paper is pretty cheap and so is the labor:) looks like a pretty nice horse to start a restoration with.

• Like 1

dtallon

When I checked last fall that gasket was still available, but I also went the cheaper route and made a gasket out of auto parts store bulk material, and then used Red Kote to seal the tank.  The tank doesn't leak there anymore, but now that its not leaking from there I can see that it weeps out at a hairline crack near one of the rear hood bolt locations :banghead: .  It looks like someone used a bolt that was too long and cracked the tank.  Kind of surprised the Red Kote didn't seal that too, but maybe the hood pulls on it enough to pull the crack open.  I will soon get to see how hard that Red Kote makes it to take the tank back apart. 

Dave

Killer 2000 Chevy

Call Stan Jordan. He is in Illinois and is pretty reasonably priced. He bought out a toro dealer and has a lot of NOS stuff. And he ships the stuff. PHONE NUMBER DELETED He also has a parts yard full of all different models. Hope it helps. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by TT
respect of privacy

fabricator2009

Nice tractor Jake.

• Like 1

jb4249

I found the gasket on Ebay, along with parts for the sediment bowl. I really enjoy my 854, use it around the yard to haul. Still looking for a mower deck worth restoring and fitting.

ted

clemedc

Nice 854 Jake, WH/TORO and Parts Tree still have the gasket (part #4452) I purchased one for my 854  last year, it was about $25.00 plus shipping. I also used Yamalube as a Gasket Sealer which was recommended by the fine people on RED SQUARE Its is holding up well.

Clem

• Like 1

Coadster32

Nice 854 Jake, WH/TORO and Parts Tree still have the gasket (part #4452) I purchased one for my 854  last year, it was about $25.00 plus shipping. I also used Yamalube as a Gasket Sealer which was recommended by the fine people on RED SQUARE Its is holding up well.

Clem

I think it was called yamabond. Good for oil and gas. (I too heard of it here on RS)

Jake Kuhn

got her going today! I still need to get a gas tank for it but it seems to slow down on leaking. I will search for one but this can work for a little while. Here is a picture after I got it back together with the rebuilt tranny in it. I drove it today and the tranny is really nice! ~Jake

DSCN1051_zps249cda5a.jpg

DSCN1052_zps252c8cf0.jpg

DSCN1053_zps83daaa8b.jpg

a interesting background LOL
DSCN1054_zpsf52dba17.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looking good State Farm.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

clemedc

Im glad to see your making progress Jake

70sVintageTrikes

Why does that deere look so funny/weird?

Jake Kuhn

Why does that deere look so funny/weird?

its one of the narrow series that they sell for orchard farmers.  My dad sells fenders for them to local people in our area and yesterday was the day he built them so they had not been painted yet. Thats probably whats making it look funny?

Jake

Ken B

Very nice Jake! We love my son Coles 854. What are the plans for it, maybe have Pops fix the hood and call it done?

Jake Kuhn

Ken

For now I just need to repair the gas tank and it will be a worker. It is on the list for a redo in the future though.

RED.ENGINE.GO

DO YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE AN EXTRA TOOL/PAN (PART THAT FENDERS BOLT TOO ?)