Sign in to follow this  
dw753

Is this an rj58?

dw753

Picked this up today. I know the second hood is a 55 or early 56 hood is the tractor an rj58?

image-13_zps985513b6.jpg

image-13_zpsd04935b5.jpg

post-5617-0-61083200-1360807102_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

I would agree on it being a earlier 58. I don't see much there to clue it as a conversion kit tractor. There is a possibility, but other than the hood, and the seat( which was used on many of the earlier 58's) I don't see much there to tell by. I cannot say it is not, but I don't know how to tell you if it is either. Hopefully someone on here will know.

Nice score derek!

dw753

Thanks jake!

Ken B

i dont see much by the pics to make me think its early but I'm going blind. What does the slot hitch look like or the clutch linkage arm? There are some differences

dw753

Ill get more pics when im off work

neil

looks to be a nice little project whatever it is , and most of allo have fun doing the restoration

WHRNaddict

That is a RJ58 for sure. Nice find !!

krazy_horse

That is a nice little tractor. Sure like to find one like it. krazy_horse

wheelhorse 1045

Yea of little faith :)

• Like 1

buckrancher

are there some numbers and a letter cast next to the shift lever if there are no casting date numbers it's a early one

dovetail53

it looks to me as though the rear hubs are full round..... not the triangular one from the later models. also, unless it just a remnant of the rubber boot on the shifter, it looks like it could be part of a leather boot still in tact. if this is the case, it's definitely one of the earliest RJ 58's.

just my 2 cents.

Ken B

Nice eye on the round hubs. Still can't see the leather boot though. I have an early RJ but my hubs were replaced at some point. Still has a perfect leather boot on it though.

wallfish

That original belt guard is a highly sought after item. Very nice find there with both guards and throttle control plus an uncut hood.

The early round hubs would have only 3 holes. To me the hub looks like the later model round hubs with 5 holes and raised sections. The early round RJ hubs are flat with no raised sections..

Ken B

That original belt guard is a highly sought after item. Very nice find there with both guards and throttle control plus an uncut hood.

The early round hubs would have only 3 holes. To me the hub looks like the later model round hubs with 5 holes and raised sections. The early round RJ hubs are flat with no raised sections..

Like the hubs that were on the RJ you snagged at Zagray Farms... The rest of us clowns missed that.

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

Coadster32

Like the hubs that were on the RJ you snagged at Zagray Farms... The rest of us clowns missed that.

That was a good eye on that one for sure. :handgestures-thumbupright:

jusjeepn

Derek, Everything I see indicates it was originally an RJ58. Get those numbers off the tranny (if there are any) & that will indicate an approximate age. You have the hard to find pieces, belt guard, heat shield & complete hood. Oh! and your rear tires are on backwards! LOL!

wallfish

Exactly like those hubs!

It also looks like the mower deck rotted right off. You don't usually see the brackets for one on the tractor without the deck

dw753

Exactly like those hubs!

It also looks like the mower deck rotted right off. You don't usually see the brackets for one on the tractor without the deck

Ill load up with pictures tomorrow ..... Ill show you the deck and it did rot off

dw753

Well i got pictures if you need other shots to help me let me know

DSC_0239_zps53131050.jpg

DSC_0240_zpsb3f89b4a.jpg

DSC_0241_zpsace08ff8.jpg

DSC_0242_zpsb6d66e13.jpg

DSC_0243_zps0adedb66.jpg

DSC_0244_zps4033156b.jpg

DSC_0247_zps750eea49.jpg

DSC_0248_zps06de9b0c.jpg

DSC_0249_zps2e88d9ae.jpg

DSC_0250_zps7934912a.jpg

DSC_0251_zps7e95dfa7.jpg

DSC_0252_zps882cc6cd.jpg

DSC_0253_zps0f3699db.jpg

DSC_0254_zps5b1cc0ef.jpg

DSC_0255_zps984fe032.jpg

DSC_0256_zpse2568f95.jpg

DSC_0257_zps34fd71a9.jpg

DSC_0258_zps5cd8481d.jpg

DSC_0259_zps1b7ee120.jpg

DSC_0260_zps2cb62362.jpg

DSC_0261_zpsa259c702.jpg

• Like 1

WH-PWR

Looks like a good find!!!

Jake Kuhn

That looks like the earlier hitch to me, and I am not seeing a date code on the trans, nice find!

VinsRJ

You have a earlier production 58... I would not call it an "early version" though. Other than the no date code tranny center section and the seat, the rest of the tractor is standard RJ58. The rear hubs are later 60's production 5 lug. The hitch is not the four piece band iron. As most people forget, the Pond's built these tractors with whatever was on the shelf at the time the tractor was actually being put together. So, miss match parts between model years is not uncommon to find.

Don't get me wrong though, you have a very nice RJ and it should be restored.

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 1

Eriks Red horse herd

The loose hood is a 56 hood has the toggle kill switch . I would say the tractor is not an early 58. The rear hitch is not the crude early made hitch. The hubs are a late 5 bolt hub not associated with any ball burners. The clutch-brake linkage is rounded not square. Hard to tell if there is numbers to the right of the shifter . If it dosn't have numbers it still could be a early uni drive. Still a very nice save have fun with the old girl!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

This would be the earlier hitch wouldn't it? or maybe I'm wrong, I could be. Please correct me if I am. Thanks, Jake

DSCN0909_zpsa0dfba80.jpg?t=1360985156

DSCN0912_zps0cc6175c.jpg?t=1360985143

wallfish

Yes, that's the early one with the top and sides welded together instead of a single bent piece of steel.