Sign in to follow this  
jay in nc

NC. storm cleanup.

jay in nc

well we didnt get any snow but we got a lot of wind which blew the rest of the sweetgum balls off the trees. these need swept up before we start to mow. so i took the wheels off the sweeper & greased everything so it works well. todays tractor is my 1971 workhorse 800 with a 8 hp. tecumpseh. i like to use the smaller hp. tractors for this type of work as they are lighter & more fuel eff. this tractor runs great. heres some pictures taken by my wife. oh BTW. it's almost 60 deg.outpost-4393-0-29558100-1360519829.jpgpost-4393-0-27177900-1360519865.jpgpost-4393-0-53814700-1360519904.jpgpost-4393-0-33066100-1360519958.jpg i do miss western pa & my 1973 12-8speed plowing snow & blowing it when it got to high. but seat time is good all year round. i am sorta glad nobody wanted to buy this tractor when i had it in classifieds Jay

• Like 3

varosd

Jay Seat time is seat time whether mowing or blowing!

leeave96

Looks great! I agree with the 8 hp and gas mileage. Sometimes we use a sledge hammer to swat a flies when something much smaller will get the job done.

Jake Kuhn

Cool pics! WIsh I could be doing some mowing right now! I'm ready for spring!

Sparky

Great pics.....so what the heck are sweetgum balls !!

Mike............

KC9KAS

LiquiSt3.jpg

Erv Evans, NC State University

Swe Sweet gum ball

Sweetgum fruits, called "gumballs" by children, are often dropped in huge quantities. Up to 50 seeds can be in one fruit.

Seeds are eaten by many birds, chipmunks, and squirrels.

Very young Sweetgum trees are eaten by deer, rabbits, mice, and beaver.

Sweetgums grow with many other trees, including Virginia Pine, Eastern White Pine, Yellow Poplar, oaks, American Elm, Red Maple, Silver Maple, hickories, Flowering Dogwood, American Sycamore, Sassafras and Redbud.

Sweetgum fruits, called "gumballs" by children, are often dropped in huge quantities. Up to 50 seeds can be in one fruit.

Sweetgums grow with many other trees, including Virginia Pine, Eastern White Pine, Yellow Poplar, oaks, American Elm, Red Maple, Silver Maple, hickories, Flowering Dogwood, American Sycamore, Sassafras and Redbud.

etgum fruits, called "gumballs" by children, are often dropped in huge quantities. Up to 50 seeds can be in one fruit.

Don1977

I take care of my sweetgum balls with a chainsaw, dynamite would be more effective as the stumps keep sprouting out.

Wheel-N-It

Jay boy, you must have been having fun today! Does Jen know you were just playing Wheel Horse and not really working??? :ychain:

I got zero seat time on a Wheel Horse today, but did get some time on the JD Gator. I had to finish up all the clean-up from yesterday after sawing up the big pine that fell in my front yard.

Anyway, I'm happy to see you were in the saddle today! :greetings-wavingblue:

MalMac

Always use the smaller horse power round here for sweeping, trailer towing and whole lot of other general chores. The big horse's sit most of the time. Especially with the price of gas.

travlindave

My brother Lane has one of those sweet gums in his front yard and they are really not "sweet". They jam up everything, mower, lawn sweeper, dethatcher and more!

• Like 1