Sign in to follow this  
raider10-8

Raider 10 reverse and 1st not working

Save Old Iron

Good progress, thanks for the update.

Along with what you have already found, here are a few other areas that are concerning.

raider10shifterforkwear_zps743c9b11.gif

The inner surfaces of the shifter forks show considerable wear / metal displacement. My guess is over the life of the transaxle, considerable pressure has been needed to shift thru the gears, resulting in the ball of the shifter rod smearing the metal on the side walls of the shifter forks.

Before we go any further on gear inspection, please check the fit of the woodruff key in the axles (where the hubs came off). If the woodruff key area  is wallowed or loose, Pay close attention to the other end of each axle where the axle gear (destroyed in your picture) mates with the axle spline. If damage to the axle splines exist, we may need to start talking about the prospect of replacing the transaxle with a used unit. I don't sell parts so I have no financial interest in selling you anything - but -. at some point, it does becomes smarter / cheaper / faster to replace the trans with a used one versus major part replacement in the old unit. Post an advert in the classified section to see what the damaged parts will cost to replace. We still have not determined if there is a need to replace any bearings in the trans case. Full bearing and seal replacement cost will easily go above the $200 mark if the diff support bearings (#1533) are bad.

raider10-8

well i got the differential case back together.. and everyhting is pretty much ready to be put back together just waiting on the axle seals and needle bearing!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Raider, the parts are in the mail...should receive Saturday or Monday. :)

raider10-8

ok thanks. im going to mail out the check today.

raider10-8

ok so its back together... almost. hope fully someone see this tonight but i need help putting the detent balls and spring. how do we put them in while getting the shift shafts in at the same time.

raider10-8

ok guys never mind im good and i get it all in place. just need to do a tone of fileing on the axe to be able to go through the other case then well be good. 

raider10-8

ok guys well i got the whole transmission back together and in the tractor. reverse now works with no problem. but first dosent. i havent driven it yet. my brother said i should drive it first or at least put it through the gears while running so that the drive pulley flings oil up on the rest of the gears. so im going to do that tomorrow and hopefully that works. but my brother thinks it might be the detent ball not having lubercation.