Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

New England Blizzard!!!

roscoemi

Stevebo, I think the little guy has it figured out. He knows the controls but can't reach them and Dad is always interupting his progress! :ychain: Kinda like watchin P'Chop on a bigger tractor.!

Ken B

Here in New Milford CT they cancelled school for tomorrow. I traveled on 84 today and they did a real good job there.

School is cancelled in Danbury as well for Monday. I think mostly because they are predicting nasty conditions from freezing rain.

Butch

Just curious. Was there too much snow for a plow to handle?

amard

Without a doubt, a blade would have been useless for me. The blower was incredible.

Wheelhorse84

My blade got it done. It took a while but that's all the fun.

Sparky

No way a blade would cut it where I live. We had about 30"s. It was walk-behind-blower snow for sure!

Mike..............

squonk

Video went BOOM! Not found. :scratchead: :sad:

mattd860

4x4 plow trucks couldn't even push the snow around here. I know because I had to rescue two of them that got stuck in my neighbors driveways with my 520 and 2stg. The drivers were amazed at how quickly I was moving snow.

redidbull

They are usind payloaders here in Stratford. National Guard was out. Our neighbor hood banned together and we shoveled the street and 12 houses. Jim

post-4439-0-69022600-1360584812.jpg

post-4439-0-31348700-1360584828.jpg

• Like 2

WheelHorseSteve

No way a blade would cut it where I live. We had about 30"s. It was walk-behind-blower snow for sure!

Mike..............

x2 here. We got 24" where I live in Newtown and it was a much heavier variety than the fluffy 24" we got back in January 2011. I used the Honda 2-stage and it was a similar experience as what Matt posted... moving along fairly slowly and snow topping over it. The nice thing about the snow that topped over it... I got to plow it with the C160!

That said, I've never before heard the K341 come to almost a dead stall. I was pushing some serious snow by the end of the 600' driveway and it did it but boy did it work hard. As far as straight plowing 24" of this with the 15" tall plow of the C160? Forget it! As Matt said, many pickup plows couldn't handle this. This was snowblower snow all the way... or loader!

WheelHorseSteve

Oh, and I'm wondering if I should try the roller chain trick with the Vredestein V61s... putting it in between a pair of the ribs.

Picture005-3.jpg

I found that I *did* slide sideways despite weight in the front and these ribbed tires. What roller chain do you guys use? (and exactly how wide is it?) If it doesn't fit in the groove in between the ribs I don't know that it is going to work. I've never had problems plowing w/ this combination until now, but given the storms we've had in the past 3 years I think it's time to be ready for more extreme weather like this in the future.

yellow is good

Only 12 inches in grand isle vt

F1EE2FF6-6AFE-44EA-94DB-0D935AE92D82-740-000001D1F9B30429_zps35d46ad1.jpg

mattd860

I use #50 roller chain. I have seen your tires and I'm pretty sure it'll fit between the ribs.

Coadster32

Shool got cancelled untill Thursday. No Feb. vacation, and time is tapped out of April vacation as well. National Guard is in Milford also. They are hopeful to have most of the streets cleared out by the end of today. I drove around the town last night, and was amazed how the main roads resembled back-streets. I just hope I don't hear alot about home roofs collapsing. I got as much snow off mine as I could, then dug a path around the foundation for drainage. Alot of work, but I think it was worth the effort.

Forest Road

There was a steady parade of New York Thruway and State DOT trucks traveling south on I87 Sunday. So many that I'm curious where they were headed. Long Island maybe Connecticut?

mrocket49

Just finished four days (about 60 hours) in the tractor/snowblower at work and still haven't had enough seat time! I've still got a few more days of work clearing the town sidewalks where I work. Luckily, the cab is heated and has a windshield wiper.

not that lucky at home, I had to clear part of my driveway at 10 o'clock on Saturday night just to get my car back to the garage. I got covered in snow from that 3-point hitch, 5' snowblower! It used all of the 25 pto horspower that my Ford has.

Here's a picture I took clearing one of the sidewalks over a bridge at work.

Snowblowingatwork_zpsd9f65a02.jpg

Ken B

4x4 plow trucks couldn't even push the snow around here. I know because I had to rescue two of them that got stuck in my neighbors driveways with my 520 and 2stg. The drivers were amazed at how quickly I was moving snow.

So much for plowing with the storm! When I was on the local snow crew that is what we ALWAYS did, especially when we knew the storm was gonna be a doozie. Sadly, with the cost of fuel these days and all of the towns near broke that hasn't been happening. I know when you are doing private driveways its hard to get there before its too deep. I can't remember the last time I saw a 4x4 plow truck that had an actual set of REAL snow tires on it? I can remember back in the blizzard of 78. Our next door neighbor had a 72 Ford F-250. (a mans truck!) I do know it had a 390 with a 4 speed, and a REAL set of snow tires. I remember like it was yesterday, he was plowing thru snow drifts 4 ft high and there wasn't nuttin stopping that truck. I would always find a nice high snow bank, climb on up, have a seat and just watch.....

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

Well, I made an attempt to video my blowing progress with my 416-H and single stage blower during winter storm Nemo, but cold fingers and iPods don't work very well. I thought I had the camera rolling, only to find out later that I didn't. When I finally figured it out, my fingers were to cold to keep going, but did get some footage. Even with the short video, there is no question what is under the hood!

I will do better next time.

• Like 5

MaineDad

Nice sounding Onan you have there David!

Torino

Many have said a blade would not work due to to much snow. What do you think is the limit in inches of snow a blade can handle?

mattd860

Many have said a blade would not work due to to much snow. What do you think is the limit in inches of snow a blade can handle?

It depends on how much weight you add to the tractor (wheel weights, etc) as well as type of tires and chains. It also depends on how wet/dry the snow is and whether or not you're plowing pavement or something else. But a well loaded tractor with 48" blade on pavement can plow 12-15" of snow. Once I get a good head start in 4th gear it's generally unstoppable in 12-15" of snow. I'm sure others will have other experiences but this is mine.

WHwest8597

It all depends if the snow is dry or wet. I have a 314-8 and have had no problems plowing a foot of dry snow. When the snow is wet, I like not to let it get any deeper than 6 to 8 inches. My driveway goes up hill so once a get a run cut to the top I usually plow from the top down.

Ken B

Just did 24 inches with my 520, sure it took some battle ramming to make the first pass but it did bust thru. At the end of the driveway it was almost 3 ft. deep. Either I was shoveling or the 520 was going to somehow do it. There wasn't a chance in the world I was gonna shovel it so ramming speed it was! I'm with Matt, 12-15 inches comfortably. If I didn't have a stone driveway I'd have a snow blower for the 520 on standby.

squonk

So much for plowing with the storm! When I was on the local snow crew that is what we ALWAYS did, especially when we knew the storm was gonna be a doozie. Sadly, with the cost of fuel these days and all of the towns near broke that hasn't been happening. I know when you are doing private driveways its hard to get there before its too deep. I can't remember the last time I saw a 4x4 plow truck that had an actual set of REAL snow tires on it? I can remember back in the blizzard of 78. Our next door neighbor had a 72 Ford F-250. (a mans truck!) I do know it had a 390 with a 4 speed, and a REAL set of snow tires. I remember like it was yesterday, he was plowing thru snow drifts 4 ft high and there wasn't nuttin stopping that truck. I would always find a nice high snow bank, climb on up, have a seat and just watch.....

I hate Fords but there's something about those old ones. If I go to a truck pull there's always some ratty old early 70's F-bomber that out pulls all the souped up snazzy jobs. Never fails.

squonk

Just did 24 inches with my 520, sure it took some battle ramming to make the first pass but it did bust thru. At the end of the driveway it was almost 3 ft. deep. Either I was shoveling or the 520 was going to somehow do it. There wasn't a chance in the world I was gonna shovel it so ramming speed it was! I'm with Matt, 12-15 inches comfortably. If I didn't have a stone driveway I'd have a snow blower for the 520 on standby.

Ken I don't know how big your stones are in your driveway but you could buy a blower and do this. I have no. 2 stone and throw very little. The Power king is the worst offender when it comes to stone displacement.Wheels came from TSC They say 10" on them but I think the wheels themselves are 8"

IMG_0336.jpg

Edited by squonk