Sign in to follow this  
TatersFarm

Retrofit Points ign kohler k241 to Raider10 (1-6041)

TatersFarm

I am replacing the HH100 on my Raider10 mod# 1-6041. I have installed a Kohler k241 with starter/generator (Delco 1101970 and matching V/R delco regulator clone Standard p/n Vr-220. The engine ran well on the bench. the S/G tested well at the Generator shop. The wiring is confused because I can not find an equivalent Wheel Horse wiring diagram for this set-up. (I'm so confused! :laughing-rofl: Just kidding but i am frustrated) Can anyone take a look at a diagram i made that shows where I am with this?WheelHorseSt-GenMod_zps3987e4f2.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Go into the manuals and do a search for 1067. That is battery ignition with starter/generator.

The early production 1968 12hp models used the battery ignition and starter/ generator but have never seen a manual for these.

Garry

TatersFarm

Thanks, Mr. Garry,

I'm sorry to throw out something like this on here, especially my first time here. I thought I could just "figgerit" out. The more I studied over the info I had, the more differences i ran accross.Thanks for the direction.

John

TatersFarm

Garry,

I looked over the manuals that are available. It seems I'm trying to use a switch that is a much later version. I'll check the switch positions to make sure the correct connections are being made in OFF - RUN & START. If they are I'll just cap and insulate the other terminals and not use them. Otherwise it's back to the tractor shop for the correct switch.

Thanks again for your direction. Oh, by the way... Do you know if a grey HH100 was the original way this tractor came out. I doubt it, but was just curious.

Regards John.

gwest_ca

I believe all the engines came red until the later black on the Magnums and Onan.

If you want to use the light duty ignition switch and add the solenoid wire it like this

The difference is this is B&S powered so uses a different switch for magneto ignition.

There is also a starter/generator wiring diagram with solenoid in an early Kohler service manual on page 7.4

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/750-engine-kohler-k91-k141-k161-k181-k241-k301-k321-sm-1972pdf/

Garry

Save Old Iron

Your starter circuit is good.

HH100retrostartercircuit_zps107ecfe0.gif

The "L" terminal on the regulator can either be left blank or you can connect the lights /heavy amp circuits to the terminal. Any accessory connected to "L" does not pass thru the circuitry of the regulator and does not cause the regulator to react to an intermittent high draw of current. The reg still watches the battery for a drop in voltage caused by the large amp draw and still reacts to lowered battery voltage.

I'll check the charge circuit you have drawn later today. There was a minor question I had that has slipped my mind for right now. Someone else may pick it out in the meantime. I'll check in later.

Great effort on the drawing too. One tip on the drawings. Store them in either GIF or PNG format. If you store them in a high compression JPG format, the blending characteristics of JPG creates a colored "haze" around contrasting adjacent colors.

haze_zps2d331068.jpg

This coloration "haze" will not be present in GIF and PNG files.

haze_zps1268e63f.gif

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

The CHARGE CIRCUIT looks good too.

HH100retrochargercircuit_zps803787ad.gif

The question I had was regarding the reg's BATTERY terminal being connected to the ignition switch R terminal. On second thought, the B and R terminals on the ignition switch are connected together in the RUN position of the switch - so electrically the B reg terminal is connected to the battery. If an ammeter is present on a SG based tractor, the reg B terminal is usually connected to the ammeter and therefore to the battery all the time. I don't see the ignition switch in the OFF position (disconnecting the reg B terminal from the battery) as a concern.

If any performance issues do pop up, you could always try to move the reg B terminal directly to the stud on the starter solenoid which is connected to the battery (+) terminal. I can not see foresee this as being an issue.

• Like 1

TatersFarm

Thanks Guys,

Everything you've done is greatly appreciated..

Armed with fresh confidence, I would love to go out to the shop right now but we have to return our sons Borzoi wolf hound to him. (we been ready for days)

He moved and we as good g'parents had to have the hound as an extended guest. The dog is quite a strange breed. So it's off to Atlanta for to return the dog.

Maybe I'll see a Wheel Horse on the way... That would make it a good day.

Thanks again Garry and Save Old Iron.. I'll let you know how the system works in a couple of days..

Regards John