Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Wheelhorse - What's Your Field Specialty???

leeave96

OK - I know it's a stupid thread title, but....

Just curious - what model "style" is your favorite/dominate Wheelhorse tractor in your shed?

As an example, I have a 314-8 and two 520-H tractors. These are all of the same "style" regarding sheet metal, especially where the hood is concerned. I've gotten to know these tractors of this "style" and in a certain sort of way, they are where my knowledge resides and for lack of a better word, my "specialty" as far as the ins/outs of Wheelhorse tractors.

I like all of the Wheelhorse tractor models and styles, but I guess I'm in old dog/new tricks territory and those 300/400 and 500 series tractors are a well traveled road for me and if I add another Wheelhorse tractor to the fleet, it is likely to be another one.

What is your "specialty" when it comes to these fine old tractors? Are you a 300/400/500 series user/collector like me or is your thing black hood tractors or round hooded tractors - what?

Thanks!

Bill

post-6085-0-64240100-1360187524_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-30013800-1360187580_thumb.jp

Edited by leeave96

rmaynard

I am partial to the 1976/77 B/C series.

post-2221-0-96297500-1360188050.jpg

• Like 2

gd.pudge

I like the b and c series but I also have a gt14 that's real handy too

Jake Kuhn

I'm a round hood guy. When I was given the 401 3 1/2 years ago it just always stuck with me. Now with my father and I owning somewhere around 35 round hoods its just hard to keep buying them. I really like the styling of them, and the size is nice to store them. I like my newer horses as well but will always like the round hoods best. ~Jake

VinsRJ

RJ35's and RJ58's

DMK855

A fan of the mid to late 60's...... Square hoods..... My 1055 is probably my favorite!!

• Like 1

buckrancher

RJ35 thru 854 early round noses

stevasaurus

Well, there is a mix in these pictures, but I am really into the Round Hoods and the Short Frame Square Hoods.. :)

2010_0518HorsesMay0001.jpg

2010_0518HorsesMay0007.jpg

• Like 1

TT

I don't do 953/1054/GT-14 or D series tractors.

1961 to 1964 round hoods are the most abundant here and are obviously my preferred design.

I can hold my own with the rest. ;)

• Like 1

Vinylguy

I only have 1 but it is a little red tractor with a BIG! BIG! Heart

The round hoods are my favorite.

• Like 3

squonk

Early 60's roundnoses and the C-series. No wonder you don't have any snow Steve, it looks to warm out! :ychain:

• Like 1

can whlvr

im split,4 c,s and 4 maroon stripe

whc160

I like my early C's 74-77. It is what I grew up on.

7877147176_23488c6cbc_m.jpg

But I did go outside the box last week & bought a 520-8.

• Like 1

roscoemi

I like the c series, but the boys Ranger has grown on me even if I feel like a circus clown plowing on it! :)

Ken B

I have a very nice low hr. 88 520 and a very nice 85 310-8 BUT my favorites are the roundies, especially Suburbans. Currently I'm at 8 tractors and I'm not looking for any more, With that said, if an extra nice original Suburban comes along.... I'm all in. For me personally there ain't nothing like kickin back on a round hood and smokin a cigar while cruisin a tractor show. On the other hand, ya can't beat cigar time on the 520 while cuttin the grass.

010-4.jpg

refracman

Actually a good topic. For me its a toss up of the 68 to 84 styles but I guess my 195's have made me partial to black hood twins.

carlsbarn2

C-175 BLACK HOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

jay in nc

the first horse i ever drove was a 73 12 hp 8speed i loved that tractor, so my favorites are the 70 -79 of these i have a commando 800,workhorse800,raider10,71bronco14,72bronco14 & a c161 8speed. second best are the maroon stripes, i have a 310-8,516,518,89 520, 90? 520. love them too! Jay

• Like 1

farmerall

Mine would be the mid to late 70's lt's because I have two currently and had another one not long ago.

I really like my Electro 12 though and hopefully I will get my 551 moving one day.

wp205a

I like free stuff, came by this one that way. I've got more than 0 in it now, and have no idea what I'll do with a sickle mower. Just like to keep stuff from going back to the earth. I guess my specialty is getting things to work, putting them to work. Made a bunch of friends, found a great forum, waiting for the rest of the story. Thanks for the thread.

post-8412-0-74279800-1360205173_thumb.jp

• Like 2

octfst

This the tractor I grew up on. Dad bought it in 1967. So for me its front engine round hoods.

post-3210-0-76751000-1360205873.jpg

Kevbo

I just started collecting in October (2012) and I really am not too partial to specific series yet, but I really enjoy the C-series. However, the 400 series really gives me the feeling that I'm running a powerful machine. I am still searching for my first "roundhood" which I am sure I will fall in love with when I find it! I'd like to eventually have quite the line up historically with various models.

Rollerman

I'm pretty partial to the 65-68 short frame tractors with the square hoods.

I have a few blackhoods & 300 series I use for workers, the 65-68 short frames just look "right" to me though.

Here's a short frame mutt I put together, 6 speed, K241, & a mix of 520H parts.

It earns it's keep.

1343692623714.jpg

My 867...thanks Marv!

1343692642702.jpg

JC 1965

The B & C series are my favorites but i also like the round hoods.

dclarke

I'm sorta partial to the round hoods.

1110_zps75feaab9.jpg

• Like 2