Torino

Does any use a lift to work on there tractors?

Torino

Working on these things are giving me a real pain in the back. Is any one using a lift to work on there tractor?

MalMac

Not using one currently, but this old short fat guy see's one coming this way in the very near future. After a good long day out bent over working on them makes me fill like I did years ago after the first day of football practise. Except for now it takes me a week to straighten back up again. Boy sure fun getting older.

Tankman

Years ago, I owned a lift and used it workin' on my round hood Wheel Horses.

After having no use for it, sold or traded it to a mower shop. Wish I didn't. Let it go 'cause I left the hobby.

Retired, picked up some :wh:'s and need it now. Back is oooohhhhhh sore.

If I find one, I plan to wheel 'n deal! :-)

Jake Kuhn

I use this to work on our round hoods. Its probably too small to put anything bigger up there but we would of made it bigger its plenty strong. Built it out of a rack that a subframe for a camaro came on that my father is working on at the body shop, and some steel we got for free. We have a chain lift that we lift them up there with. This has been a really nice thing to have! Here is a picture of it. ~Jake

DSCN0718.jpg?t=1356229745

DSCN0719.jpg?t=1356229756

Wheel-N-It

I have a few floor jacks, an ATV lift (which works quite well), and some drive up ramps. The drive up ramps are each a two piece design where the drive up part of the ramp is removed once the tractor is sitting at the top. This allow full access under the tractor. The ATV lift also works really well. One thing that helps me working on the LAGTs is using a mechanics roll around stool. If you guys don't have one, I highly recommend you add this to your tool collection asap.

Deere Hunter

Been using one for the past 2 years and love it. Makes working on a tractor so much easier.

006d1170.jpg

961FA69C-4B1D-4F4F-84C8-2F6C71283149-26236-000033AB296CBC85.jpg

• Like 3

546cowboy

I have an overhead chain hoist on a trolly. If I have a lot of work to do under one I just hook up to which ever end I need up and lift it as far as I want. Seems to me with a lift it would get in the way at times. :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 546cowboy

CasualObserver

Not a lift, but a 2 foot tall worktable on casters. Has a shelf underneath that stores three RJ/Suburban decks. I push it over against the wall, and use my truck bed ramps to push the tractor up. Just the right height to be able to see/reach anything without having to crawl on the floor. You can see it in the background of this picture. A little stiff to move with a tractor up there, probably should have used larger caster wheels. Maybe next time. (if I ever bother)

sprayer4.jpg

JC 1965

I don't have a lift but i sure could use one. I have had back problems for years. I use a mechanics creeper for working down low on a tractor but the bending to work on most parts really gets to me. Some days i would like to work on a tractor but my back says no. :hide:

Torino

I am thinking of this one. Was thinking you could put some thick plyboard on top to make it wide enough. I saw a coupon on e-bay where you can get it for 299. Someone said online to look at some Motorcycle mags there might be a coupon in there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNjYwNTMwNzIiLCJza3UiOiI2ODg5MiIsImlzIjoiMzI5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg0OTUifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Don1977

Here is a nice homemade one:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=2383345

whfan74

We are currently in the market for one in the shop. Have used them at other shops and it is worth the investment.

JUSS10

here is a cool idea that utilizes your floor jack to do the lifting

FB-2ndSide.jpg

• Like 2

baerpath

FB-2ndSide.jpg

Looks like a good idea, have plenty of floor jacks. Where did you see that one?

JUSS10

I was just looking online as I have been thinking about one to use for my cycles and tractors.

fireman

I love my lift. My back loves my lift. The ramps adjust side to side for width. I found this on CL in PA last summer. I have never seen another one like it. It appears to either factory made or by a true craftsman. Paid $300 and spent a weekend cleaning, sanding, and re-painting.

post-1626-0-29606200-1360192799_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-34147000-1360192901_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-06082100-1360193016_thumb.jp

If anyone is interested, here is a set of plans for a snowmobile lift. You can easily put a top on it and use it for a tractor. Looks very simple to build:

post-1626-0-26593300-1360193124_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-52305900-1360193139_thumb.jp

I also have a set of plans in PDF for a motorcycle lift which will work fine for a tractor. If anyone is interested I can email you them.

• Like 2

Kevbo

FB-2ndSide.jpg

I really dig this idea...is this homemade?

diesel cowboy
post-6402-0-70855100-1360206141.jpg Heres the one I use at work. Has 4 different height adjustments so you can work on the top of the engine or be able to get at the underside of the tractor. I think it was originaly sold as a motorcycle table and they had extensions for a snowmobile . We have the extensions and about the only thing we have trouble putting on it is the zero turn mowers cause they're just to wide. And the tractor thats on it is just about at the limit of what it can handle at a little over 900 lbs and 42 1/2" wide and 7 1/2 feet long. Thats front to back with the 3 point lift arms

JUSS10

FB-2ndSide.jpg

I'm not really sure. Looks simple enough to make. Might try and fab one up myself

gregg'shorses

FB-2ndSide.jpg

Here is the link for the plans ... http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm You can also make it a little wider.

gregg'shorses

I am thinking of this one. Was thinking you could put some thick plyboard on top to make it wide enough. I saw a coupon on e-bay where you can get it for 299. Someone said online to look at some Motorcycle mags there might be a coupon in there.

http://www.harborfre...6Ijg0OTUifQ==

This looks to be a little narrow and tippy . In reviews there seems the pump is the weak link.

JUSS10

hmmm I may just draw this up in solidworks and make my own plans. looks pretty easy and there are plenty of things in the image to get a scale from... Looks like the base is 2" angle iron and the lift arms are 2" square tubing. There is definately a lot of steel there so its probably not super cheap but it sure looks solid!

Edited by JUSS10

855ownerJoel

Glad this post was started. I borrowed the use of one by a friend and boy are they nice to work from. I have been looking ever since. I am watching close for one that is strong and built well since I plan on using it alot. I also looked at the one from Harbor but I thought it was too cheaply built and thought that it may fail. Use a car hoist at work but my checkbook says no way.... I guess I will keep looking until the right one comes along.