Sign in to follow this  
Dieselcowboy

Suburban 550

Dieselcowboy

Thanks everyone for a quick lesson on these tractors. It helped very much when buying this one. So here it is. Looks to be a really good original. No paint underneath this paint. No decals appear to have been taped off. I think it does have the lauson engine on it still. Have not had it running yet. I will be needing to find the rest of the air cleaner and a muffler shield? Will probably put the smaller wheels back on the rear and leave this one as it is for awhile. Took a long time to get it looking like this.

post-6454-0-81857700-1360014722_thumb.jp

post-6454-0-44285000-1360014728_thumb.jp

post-6454-0-48424400-1360014735_thumb.jp

post-6454-0-12265700-1360014756_thumb.jp

post-6454-0-72797800-1360014759_thumb.jp

• Like 2

stevasaurus

That looks great. My paper work says that you should have the Tech/Lawson H55B-1170...you may have a tag on the engine. :)

Jake Kuhn

Very Very Nice tractor! :bow-blue:

TT

That is an excellent survivor and it does appear to have the "correct" Lauson engine! :handgestures-thumbup:

The air filter is Tecumseh p/n 28529 and there's still a few of them out there.

danjmah

Lucky! Very Nice, she's a beauty.

Dieselcowboy

It does have the h55b - 1170 engine. Now I just need that suburban 400 to complete that 1960 model year. These must be harder to find in good shape ? There are not really any great pics of these on here that I have found. Is it suppose to have the muffler shield?

TT

Is it suppose to have the muffler shield?

Yes - and there's also a guard for the deck drive belt.

Did you happen get the deck belt engagement pedal and linkage and the deck lift pieces?

Dieselcowboy

I do have a pedal on the right side. I don't know how it is supposed to hook up. Maybe someone might have a pic of how it goes? The deck does go up and down so I guess that's all there. Rod from rear hitch to the deck.

TT

There's a "pedal" that installs on the footrest bar.

The linkage rod on the tensioner assembly in your fourth picture (engine close-up) attaches to the pedal.

The best picture I could find quickly is in this post:

If you know how to navigate the site, you can also view the illustrated parts list (IPL) on the Toro MPV. (model number for the deck is RMR-32)

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?adv=yes&xCaller=Toro

speedyleedy

That's a very nice 550 you found yourself ! :)

Wheel-N-It

Yes, thats a good one! Alot of potential there

Dieselcowboy

Who do I look to for parts on these?

puddlejumper

Before, you do to much with the engine,drain the old oil and maybe try to rinse out with deisel fuel or something, not sure what would be best, the downfall of that lauson is the oil pump, they get dirty due to poor oil maintenance, age and lockup, and there goes a engine that is awfully hard to find. A few years back one sold on ebay around the 400 dollar mark if I remember correctly, and I would say you could get 2 to 250 on this sight about anytime. Lots of people looking for them and not many out there left. You may want to pull the pan and physical clean and inspect before doing to much, I may be erring on the side of caution but in this case I feel its needed.

Dieselcowboy

With that said I think I'll pull the engine and pan, check and clean everything before I try to fire for the first time. Would like to have this with the original engine on it. Here is what I have of the deck engaging system. Missing something but not sure what.

The more I investigate the better it gets. Here is a pic of the blades that have never been sharpened and are still sharp. What are the chances? Could be a low houred unit.

post-6454-0-86914600-1360034918_thumb.jp

post-6454-0-26959800-1360034925_thumb.jp

puddlejumper

?????? Gurus, I thought that deck blade was suppose to have mower sections on the end of the bar, If not what year did they quit using mower sections????

rydogg

Very nice 550 there with the correct lauson :handgestures-thumbupright: I have mine in pieces in the shop so I can get you the pictures you need, here is a picture of the deck engagement pedal and also here is what I believe is the correct air filter the part number I have is 28589 I am not sure if it is correct since I have not tried to put it on but it looks correct but I could be mistaken I will need to try it on mine to see if it is correct unless someone else knows for sure....if it is correct and you still need one let me know I can hook you up with one. The muffler guard can be hard to find and expensive I have a couple here but they are for tractors that I have. I may be parting with a Suburban 400 if you wanna come to Minnesota I have 2 of them I will be selling 1 for sure and may let the other go too they will both have the correct kohler k91 included (white engine is an incorrect tecumseh).

wheelhorse362.jpg

wheelhorse363.jpg

wheelhorse168.jpg

Ken B

Nice find, just how we like to find them!

clemedc

very nice 550

Dieselcowboy

I really apprecitate all the supportiveness you all have here. Shows what a great site this is. And I feel better on my purchase. :)

Dieselcowboy

Finally had a chance to work on this thing. After some cleaning underneath the flywheel and a new spark plug it ran for a total of 3 seconds or so. Sounded good. No smoke . I think she's going to be OK. Starter is not working. Had it off twice and checked over everything. Probably going to need to find another replacement. Did change the oil too. What a pain that is with a deck under it. Have gas leaking out of the fuel bowl and carb too. Kinda worried about taking the carb apart. Have read here parts are nearly impossible to get for these and gaskets also.

Dieselcowboy

Had it running this afternoon after some fuel system cleaning. Still have more to clean apparently as it will only run with the choke being played with. But what a blast this tractor will be and just the perfect size for my twin 3 year old boys to learn on. Everyone knows how twins can be.... we can't share so on the look again for that second one. (great excuse to feed the wife.)

• Like 1

clemedc

Ahh yes that will be great fun for the boys

krazy_horse

Very nice 550,mine has a H-60 and was missing the air filter. I found one last year on evel-bay. I love the round nose and curvey fenders! krazy_horse

Dieselcowboy

The wonders Sea Foam will do. I put some in the tank yesterday and ran it into the carb. Today it will run without the choke on. I have experienced this once before on a 1940's Neptune boat motor. I normally don't believe in treatments but this stuff has always come through for me and old engines.

70sVintageTrikes

Just read all of your thread. Thanks for all the pictures you have posted so far. It helps me on what mine should look like instead of the blue that someone bombed it with.