Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

Stihl Chainsaws

CRE1992

So who of you out there has a Stihl Chainsaw? Post a picture if you do!

Just a little history, I am 20 but have been using chainsaws since I was about 10. Starting with a little 32cc craftsman, a Stihl 028 Wood Boss, and Husqvarna 55. The craftsman just kind of fell apart on its own. The other saws were from different Uncles and I used them whenever I wanted. Well I decided it was time to get a chainsaw and was on craigslist and found a nice Stihl 210C a little stihl saw. But it was not big enough for what I needed. My family has a very large property in Upstate NY and we belong to a forestry program and have to thin 10-15 acres every year. So my friend Ken B on here had a very nice Stihl MS 460 Magnum he didn't need so we made a deal and I got the 460 Magnum. Great saw I have been using it a lot lately. Well I happened to be on craigslist (no surprise to those who know me) and came across Stihl MS 650 Magnum for $250 and had to get it. The MS460 Mag has a 25" bar and the MS 650 Mag has a 28" bar but can handle a 36"

Feel free to post your pictures!

Here are mine:

Stihl MS 460 Magnum

0F9B5D93-D7FA-4B30-849E-F385D93C41BC-1140-00000100172525C1.jpg

Stihl MS 650 Magnum

C99EDD5C-43F8-426E-8E55-31B17E2D3090-4723-000006E044AC9AB2.jpg

Saws together along with my loyal follower (aka bother-er) I was trying to clean the saws up today and she kept bugging me to play with her (shes 10).

B7F42F78-36AE-42BF-91E9-AF9EBBBCB7C0-8930-00000D8F395F3DD3_zpsaeb2df1d.jpg

C848F8F4-7C65-497C-8579-0281FDFD6526-8930-00000D8F5D92DF0D_zps02a956a4.jpg

can whlvr

i have owned several stihl saws,im a mason by trade and we use stihl exclusively,nothing in the world can touch them,including huskavarna,s which i have a chain saw of too,stick with the stihl,s and you wont be let down

jay in nc

i used my stihl 044 today, burnt 3 tanks of fuel cutting up a huge dead poplar that fell in the storm wed. night. also used my 021 for some of the small stuff. the 044 i bought new after hurricane fran in 96. i've wore out 3 bars countless chains but i don't think i've ever had the spark plug out of it! i always use stihl bar oil & 2stroke oil. Jay

• Like 1

Ken B

That 650 is pretty clean. Did you get it running yet? Nice to see my old 460 gettin lots of use chewin on some wood!

CRE1992

That 650 is pretty clean. Did you get it running yet? Nice to see my old 460 gettin lots of use chewin on some wood!

It is not nearly as clean as the 460 though. It was actually fine, the guy at the pawn shop did not know how to start it so my cousin did not say anything and we got it for $50 cheaper. It tears with that 28" bar on it. I need to turn the bar oil output up, but that is about it. Its got a ton of compression. I noodled up that big round you saw with the x27 stuck in it.

smoreau

I have two, but its too late to take any pics of them. I first bought the mini boss for some light work at my parents place, but soon found out it was no ware big enough when the emerald ash bore come through. I stepped up to the farm boss with a 20 bar and chisel chains. I could not be any happier with these two saws for what I use them for. I have burned up two bars and several chains and they still run GREAT! I worked for our local hardware as a kid in high school and our small engine guy told me if your going to by a chainsaw and you want it to last, get a Stihl and you will be able to give it to your kids when they are old enough. So that's my short story and why I have them. I would not recommend any thing else!

TT

I have never owned a Stihl saw, but I am the designated caretaker of an 036QS and an MS290 at work.

They get beaten and abused every time they leave the shop. Totally destroyed chains, burnt up clutches, an occasional broken starter rope, etc., are the normal ailments. :disgust: Nothing that can't be fixed though. :handgestures-thumbup:

WheelHorseSteve

Stihl 026 Pro - 16" / 0.325 and Stihl 036 Pro - 20" / 3/8

I do love these saws but also love the Husqvarna 44 I inherited from my dad. I recently turned this saw into a dedicated "stump" saw -- put a carbide tipped chain on it for cutting stumps, dirty or pressure treated wood. The Stihls with the full chisel run through clean wood but if there is any contamination I pull out the trusty 44. It's a good combination.

I also have a Stihl Kombi setup with the pole pruner (chainsaw on a pole). Very handy!

stevebo

Husky fan here....

• Like 1

CRE1992

I also have a Stihl Kombi setup with the pole pruner (chainsaw on a pole). Very handy!

I have been trying to find a 026/260 pro but they are hard to find in good shape and very expensive when you do. The new 261 has almost as much power than the 290 farm boss but cuts faster because it runs at higher rpms with the exception of the bar being buried, but the 026 also weighs like 10.4lbs for just the power head.

And you reminded me! I also have a Stihl HT101 Pole Saw and one of the biggest baddest weed wacker out there, the Stihl FS250R. It has 2.2 horse power!

Husky fan here....

:angry-soapbox:

Hey hey hey this is a Stihl only thread! :deadhorse: :ychain:

Edited by CRE1992

WheelHorseSteve

I have been trying to find a 026/260 pro but they are hard to find in good shape and very expensive when you do. The new 261 has almost as much power than the 290 farm boss but cuts faster because it runs at higher rpms with the exception of the bar being buried, but the 026 also weighs like 10.4lbs for just the power head.

And you reminded me! I also have a Stihl HT101 Pole Saw and one of the biggest baddest weed wacker out there, the Stihl FS250R. It has 2.2 horse power!

Funny you should say that... the 026 Pro cost me about the same as the 036 Pro. It's a very light but surprisingly powerful saw... am still deciding which one I like better. You definitely get less tired on the 026 when sawing for hours... but the additional power of the 036 is nice. I can only imagine what the 044/46 and up are like... great for the big wood I'm sure.

CRE1992

Funny you should say that... the 026 Pro cost me about the same as the 036 Pro. It's a very light but surprisingly powerful saw... am still deciding which one I like better. You definitely get less tired on the 026 when sawing for hours... but the additional power of the 036 is nice. I can only imagine what the 044/46 and up are like... great for the big wood I'm sure.

I am actually in the process of looking at a 261, it weighs 11.4 lbs without a bar and has 3.75 horsepower. It is great for limbing. And being that I do not need two monster saws I am probably going to sell the 650 magnum to my uncle. And use the money to help fund the 261 purchase. If I get the 261, it will have a 16" bar and a 3/8 .050 chain on it. And yes they are not cheap at like $575.

Jake Kuhn

DON"T FORGET TO TELL STEVE TO POST HIS NEW CHAINSAW HE GOT AT SCOTT'S MEET AND GREET THIS FALL!!!!

• Like 1

Ken B

Well, Charles wound up with my 460. I no longer needed a saw that big. I still have my Farm Boss MS 290 which is more than enough for my needs. I have a few others as well but the "Boss" is my go to saw. I completely clean it after each use. When I'm feeling nostalgic I bust out the old Homelite XL-12. Now there is a saw!

You need to ad some Wheel Horse's to the situation LJ. Got any?

017.jpg

013-1.jpg

dcrage

I have been amazed for years that US companies can't compete with the Europeans for the chain saw market -- 40-50 years ago they were out there; Pioneer, McCulloch; I saw those when I was a kid -- Heck there are 2 or 3 used up Pioneer 'power heads' laying around my Dad's farm -- They got used hard and long and kept us warm for many years -- Then 30 years ago Poulan was making good saws -- I still have one; a Super 25 which is smaller (25 cc) but really rugged -- I know some of these companies are still out there but only in the homeowner lower end market -- What happen??

For what it is worth I inherited 2 Stihl's that my Dad bought in his later years -- a 170 and a larger one; don't remember the Model # -- Nice saws

jay in nc

heres pictures of my stihls 044,021,019 & a chop saw as well as 4 or 5 antique maculogh 4 or 5 antique homelites, a maul powerhead & 4or 5 others. the stihls are all i use! oh by the way i just saved from the scrapper 6 more homelite wiz & super wiz parts saws & a cat. 0 one bottom plow & rear blade, pictures on friday JAY

post-4393-0-30948300-1360025047.jpg

post-4393-0-31978200-1360025085.jpg

post-4393-0-16325900-1360025137.jpg

• Like 2

CRE1992

Well I have been putting my saws to good use lately! I've been working slowly on this tree that came down in the woods on my neighbors property. As I am cutting a lot 3 miles from my house on a little 1/4 acre lot that had about 6-8 oak trees 2 feet in diameter or larger, but I haven't taken any pictures unfortunately. I also picked up another 460 magnum but it needs to be rebuilt. Here are some pics:

CA46E76F-F667-4A28-AF6C-EBB015FEDF31-105

BE615589-2952-43A1-AE6E-759D23922793-150

2433BDD1-E455-4E18-BC6F-4D1DA8D4DF2B-105

stevebo

I do have a Stihl Kombi set as well. Bought the attachments used from a landscaper switching over to echo at the time so I picked up a tiller, chainsaw, hedge trimmer and string trimmer then stopped at a dealership that sells "green" machines and asked where the red was :hide: . I ended up buying a demo head and new string trimmer attachment. I have to say it runs great and I really love it. As stated before I have a husky chainsaw with an 18 inch chain which is a great runner and does a decent amount of work for a smaller saw.

Ken B

Hey Steve, what kind of professional landscaper takes a step down from Stihl and switches to Echo? :ychain:

Echo isn't bad stuff. I have an 8 yr old Echo limbing saw that I have put a ton of hrs on. It fires up every time but its home owner quality. For the 150 bucks I paid for it new back then its been a solid investment. I can remember back when I bought it, it was either the Echo or a Poulan "Wild Thing". I think I made the right choice!

I'll be in the woods this weekend giving my saws (and myself) a much needed workout. Love the smell of fresh cut wood!

nylyon

Got mine for free a couple of years ago.  I love it!  Burried in the shed, so no pictures.

Kelly

I've had a few stihl saws over the years, right now I have a 041, and a nice low hour trim saw Homelite 330 

Prater

Does this count?

IMG_7844.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

• Like 1

nylyon

Oh, mine is an 009L (no idea what that means though)

KC9KAS

I have a 028 that I have used on/off for 25 years...Darn good saw...just put a new bar & chain on it last fall.

Vinylguy

My all day saw. Wont run out of gas but I do. :ROTF:

gallery_74_25_15533.png