Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Last weekends purchase....

Ken B

I have always admired Vins Gasser and my son Cole always drooled all over it. I called dibs on it if he ever decided to sell it. Well, I got the call so I went with my son Cole last weekend to pick it up. All of the credit for this one goes to Vin, he built a killer tractor. All I'm doing is adding my own touches to it. I bought it minus all tires and rims and the seat, other than that it was ready to run. The first thing I obviously did was put on an extra set of tires and rims that I had lying around, which really did nothing for me to tell you the truth. The second thing I did was remove the boat steering wheel, not that I didn't like it but because I actually need it for my boat! I had a vintage Superior 500 steering wheel hangin around that came out of one of my father in laws old race cars so on it went. The next thing I did was add foot throttle using a pedal off an RJ. It works sweet! Vin warned me she was a little light in the front for obvious reasons. I really don't want to put wheelie bars on it because it will hog up too much space on my trailer. Next, I looked around and I found an RJ tank. Now, let me start by saying this tank had no bottom left to it and it was dented to hell. I welded in some patches, not fuel proof but good enough for what I had planned to go in there. In went 20 pounds of cement! I then made a patch for where the original fuel inlet was and welded it closed. I added a dummy cap to the center of the tank and blotted on aluminum spray paint I sprayed on a towel so it wouldn\'t look freshly painted. I then added a braided fuel line to finish the look I wanted. I'll add a set of Moon decals to the tank and call it done. The 20 pounds in the tank does an excellent job keeping the nose down now! Today I was wondering what am I going to do for tires and rims for this beast? Well, I took the tires and rims off my Hot Rod Burban, I think they look better on the gasser than they did on my Burban. The seat isn't permanent. I'm going to have my upholstery guy make a seat cushion and back rest for me that match the color and metallic finish of the steering wheel. Kinda like the seat upholstery they used on the old Schwinn Stingray bikes if you know what I mean. Shoot, I don't even mind the white rims on my Burban, maybe I'll leave em on there! Thanks again Vin. Cole has added this tractor to his collection!

securedownload_zps7f741bd8.jpg

004_zps5c428652.jpg

015_zps6f4a39f3.jpg

008_zps91f6dfd6.jpg

011_zps2806da97.jpg

Tankman

Great lookin' Horse!

Obvious case of WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) that all here are afflicted

with. :-)

Jake Kuhn

Very nice ken!

AMC RULES

Hey, I remember that tractor...your changes look good Ken. :handgestures-thumbsup:

post-3498-0-44831600-1359851213_thumb.jp

Edited by Gimpyonagoodday

welderman85

nice work it looks great

Wheel-N-It

Thats a real Hot Rod Wheel Horse :bow-blue:

Coadster32

Looks good from here. Didn't know I could like that one any other way.

VinsRJ

Looks great Ken... I'm glad it went to a good home... not to mention you help move the ProtoType project along, can't thank you enough for that!

WH-PWR

Looks like NHRA may be calling you.

Ken B

Been messing around a little with this Gasser tractor. I found some paint that is a real close match to the color and the flakes that are on the steering wheel. Sprayed that and while I was at it I made a seat back. A straight seat back wasn't doing it for me so I added some wings on the side, I then wrapped some old leather on it. I had a set of trashed front rims, I don't even know why I was saving them but I'm glad I did, I'm too cheap to buy a set of custom rims so I thought maybe I'd try something with these. I had to weld a ton of rust holes closed, between these two rims I think I used almost a quart of bondo getting them to look half decent. Before I did that I made my own slots in the rims. I still have a little finish work left to do on the rims but I wanted to mount them first to see if I like them. I think they are a go.

002_zps44be03fa.jpg

016_zpsf1312365.jpg

Edited by Ken B

Jake Kuhn

Very cool Ken!

VinsRJ

NOW thats a set of front rims! Love the look!

Ken B

I'm still making changes to this tractor. I had a k141 layin around and the temptation of putting it on this tractor was too much to resist. I had to make some mods to the hood stand to get it in there. I also made an air filter setup with an extension to clear the steering shaft. I'm not sure the fuel tank will stay where it is, I could mount it up under the hood but I couldn't bring myself to drill any more holes than are already drilled in the hood. Lots of other mods had to be done but you get the idea.  I'm also not sure this is the final exhaust setup. I will say the performance is about the same as the Honda clone that was on the tractor but this is more the look I want.

015-3_zps3ba7bcbc.jpg

013-7_zps747d0733.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

The slots in the rims make a big difference and give that old school look. What a great idea! Did you mill them or drill 2 holes and cut out the center?

rexman72

looks good

Ken B

The slots in the rims make a big difference and give that old school look. What a great idea! Did you mill them or drill 2 holes and cut out the center?

Milling would be the best way, I cut out two holes for each slot and then cut out the centers.