sorekiwi

Home made bead breaker

sorekiwi

Here's a couple of pictures of a bead breaker I cobbled up today. I didnt want to buy one (partly no room for more tools, partly lack of funds!) so I looked around the internet for pictures of home made ones.

A lot of motor-cycle guys make them out of 2x4's attached to a stud in there garages. I almost did this, until I had the thought of anchoring the thing to the reciever hitch on my truck. A couple of pieces of steel, one lttle weld, and 30 minutes later I had both rear tires from the lawn rangerbroken free of the rims. (I just want to pop the beads to paint the wheels - with the shape these 45 year old tires are in, Im sure I'll destroy them if I try to dismount them completely).

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

The "lever" is a piece of 1 1/2 x 3/8 thick steel flat bar, the "ram" is a piece of 3/4" square steel tube, with a 1/4" thick foot welded to it. The ram pivots on the lever on a 5/16 bolt, the lever pivots on the tow ball reciever on a 1/2" bolt

It works great, much easier than wrestling with squeezing a tire in a vice!

• Like 3

BairleaFarm

sIMPLE BUT FUNCTIONL. tHATS WHAT I LIKE.

Sparky

Now thats a great idea. Nice job B) .

Mike.........

Curmudgeon

Sweet!

rustyoldjunk

it also beats putting them under the foot of a bumper jack and jacking away,letting it down,turning the tire and jacking again. i like it,very good idea.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Great Idea! Ill be building one!

Duke

KyBlue

Very cool idea..

Mith

2 bits of angle and a hammer work for me. Anything from tiny to farm tractor size.

Image113.jpg

jusjeepn

Mine is just an over sized slide hammer with a 3" wide curved blade at the end.

sorekiwi

Yeah, but when you're trying to save a 48 year old Slilverton, on which the bead is rusted into the rim, and its pouring calcium filled water out everywhere, and trying to tear itself to pieces, I kinda like the control of my bead breaker!

But when all else fails, I have at it with the BFH.

sidperry

I use a 2 X 10 with a "C" shape cut into it.  I make a ramp out of it by setting, the "C" shape cut" it on the rim of the tire next to the bead and drive the front wheel of my Subaru up the little ramp and let it sit.  In a few minutes, pop the bead is broken.  Works for me.  

• Like 1

Coadster32

Nice idea. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Stigian

The first time I saw the title my brain read it as "Home made bread maker" :lol:

I keep meaning to make one of these, Daniel (Robins) was kind enough to send me some photo's and measurements of his bead breaker, but alas I've still not got around to making one!

JC 1965

I will be making one of those. I have had to change several tires over the last few months. My neighbor usually gives me a hand but we always work up a sweat. I need something to make the job easier. Looks like that will do the job. Thanks for sharing.   :thumbs2: