Sign in to follow this  
handyman

Center grease fitting on mower deck question

handyman

Maybe it has been addressed before but how do you guys deal with the center grease zerk on the mower deck spindle getting chewed up by the lift arm. I have tried several 42" decks and they all rub the grease fitting. I have thought about taking it off and using a plug until I need to grease it but that is a pain. To clarify, I am using the slotted hole on the lift carriage on the deck. I tried to use the single hole but nothing lines up then and it seems to kick the deck too far forward and would have front wheel turn clearance issues. Thanks.

BadDad

I to would like to know about this.

T-Mo

I haven't noticed this on my 42 on my C-141. Hmm, maybe I need to check it and see it there's anything going on there. B)

hodge

I noticed how close the zerk fitting is to the lift arm on a 42" I have on my B-80. If all else fails, I have no problem pulling the fitting and plugging it, until time to grease it again. That isn't that big a deal, because you don't grease it every day. B)

nylyon

I had the problem on the 414 so I gently moved (bent) the lift rod so it gave the zerk more room. No problem since.

Curmudgeon

I did the same thing Karl did. This also engaged the rod deeper in the slot. A win win if you ask me, which you didn't.

MaineDad

Mine does not touch at all. I have a 42" RD deck and always have it on the highest setting. Have you tried to adjust the level adjustment nut on the back of the deck or the two lift adjustments on each side of the deck?

Curious to learn more about this...

handyman

I will try to tweak it slightly and that will probably help. I hate to put a plug in it because it always seems that I am in a hurry to get the lawn done and if I need to grease too, that is just one more thing to slow me down.

BadDad

Ok I am going to try to post some pictures of what I am talking about. I hope it is the same thing everyone else is.deck

deck1.jpg

deck 2

deck2.jpg

MaineDad

On the second picture, I noticed you do not have a washer and couter pin on the lift assembly. It's the peg that goes through the slot on the deck lift. That may give you the room you need.

deck2.jpg

Curmudgeon

Yup, that's what mine looked like. The peg is hardly in the slot if you look at it. If nothing else, I like the idea of the peg being in farther, which in turn means it clears the zerk.

Nothing a little heavy handedness can't fix!!!