Sign in to follow this  
Indy443

'Light' front with Snow Blower mounted-312-8

Indy443

Hi Folks,

I am learning all about my new-to-me 1992 312-8, which came into my life this weekend. Today I was delighted to come home to 3+ inches of light snow covering the driveway. Just enough to test the single stage snow blower that came as part the deal with the tractor (it was brand new too, not a scratch on it!). So I fired up the Horse (which actually took a lot of cranking before it caught life). But it did and I was off. I was pleased to see that it cleared the slightly downhill, packed gravel driveway beautifully. When I reached the end of the drive and went to turn around i quickly learned that it kept on tracking straight ahead despite the wheels being turned fully. When I pulled the blower off the ground it put enough weight back on the wheels to make it turn. As I kept on clearing the drive it became more of a problem that I couldn't steer when the blower was spinning and on the ground. I would have to back up, line up as straight a pass as I could and then blow in a straight line. The way the drive is laid out, some turning is necessary when blowing the snow. It seems like with the blower lowered it lifts just enough pressure off the front tires that they have no turning ability, especially on the slippery snow.

The tractor came without the standard treaded (turf-style?) front tires. They have about 5 shallow ribs (?) in the tire (not protruding). If that makes any difference. Have others run into the 'no steering ability' with the 312 while the blower is lowered and engaged?

I'd love to hear any solutions!

wingrider

Find you some bike chains to put on the front tires. Let some air out of the tires and wrap the chains around them, and replace master link.

Air up the tires some to hold chains on and your ready to go.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy, you'll be surprised what it can do.

Wingrider

Indy443

Find you some bike chains to put on the front tires. Let some air out of the tires and wrap the chains around them, and replace master link.

Air up the tires some to hold chains on and your ready to go.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy, you'll be surprised what it can do.

Wingrider

I will do just that, thank you. I am eagerly looking forward to what this tractor will be doing for me. A true 4 season work horse that I think I will be sharing a very close relationship with!

Wishin4a416

I have the same setup as you Indy but I have no problems. I never lift my blower [to dang heavy] except when entering or exiting the garage to get over the apron.

I even pull back and forth at the end to turn with it down. I think the difference would be you have a gravel drive. I have a 200 foot blacktop drive. I used it twice this winter for two 5 inch snows.

Perhaps air the tires down some and add some front wheel weights.

From what I read here, the ribbed tires are preferred over turfs for snow.

I forgot about the front chain trick. Good tip!

whc160

Do you have the lift assist spring set up for the blower. It is a spring the hooks on the flag part & the bar for the front of the foot rests. I found that when set right the spring lifts up enough on the blower to keep weight on the front tires while the blower is down. Makes it steer a whole lot better & lift easier. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

8255931946_3c8a0e9061_m.jpg

• Like 1

Indy443

Do you have the lift assist spring set up for the blower. It is a spring the hooks on the flag part & the bar for the front of the foot rests. I found that when set right the spring lifts up enough on the blower to keep weight on the front tires while the blower is down. Makes it steer a whole lot better & lift easier. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

8255931946_3c8a0e9061_m.jpg

I will have to look at that tomorrow. I have a feeling that it is not installed....as it is quite heavy to lift (doesn't seem like there is any assist happening!) and it really lightens the weight on the front tires when the blower is on the ground. Also, how (where) would you add weights to the front end with the blower attached?

sorekiwi

I think what you are describing is fairly normal, the blower on the ground does seem to take the weight off the front wheels. I lift the blower when I want to maneuver the tractor.

In my experiance, front turf tires suck in the snow. Tri ribs work a whole lot better, I havent tried the roller chain thing but those who have swear by it.

The lift assist spring makes a huge difference, Lifting the blower becomes less effort than lifting a dozer blade.

• Like 1

Indy443

I think what you are describing is fairly normal, the blower on the ground does seem to take the weight off the front wheels. I lift the blower when I want to maneuver the tractor.

In my experiance, front turf tires suck in the snow. Tri ribs work a whole lot better, I havent tried the roller chain thing but those who have swear by it.

The lift assist spring makes a huge difference, Lifting the blower becomes less effort than lifting a dozer blade.

If I find that the spring is not installed (I am really thinking it is not, especially after your description of lifting it) how would I go about getting one?

sorekiwi

dbartlett1958

Indy,

A little bit of extra weight on the front will also help. I loaded my front tires with windshield washer fluid and it made a noticeable difference on my 416.

Indy443

Thank you SoreKiwi!

Kelly

We have a vendor here that has brand new lift springs look for Glenn below I think they are $20 from him.

And the little flat ribbed tires like you have suck more than turf tires, the raise center rib on the tri ribs work good.

wallfish

Don't use bicycle chain, it's too small and will roll over on the tire. You should have no problem using #40 roller chains on a gravel driveway. You will notice a huge difference right away and if you add some front wheel weights it will steer like it's on rails.

• Like 1

Indy443

So I checked under the tractor this morning and there is no spring there, so I'll be needing one of those. I'll be looking to contact Glenn on here and hopefully he can sell me one.

I am also looking to get a set of front wheel weights. Where would be the best place to get a set of these?

Sparky

Before you rush out and buy that spring make sure you have the blower hooked up right. Make sure the lift flag is in the correct hole on the lift arm.

Check out the pics in this thread:

Mike..............

Indy443

Before you rush out and buy that spring make sure you have the blower hooked up right. Make sure the lift flag is in the correct hole on the lift arm.

Check out the pics in this thread:

Mike..............

I will do that. I was able to positively identify that there is no lift assist spring, so I'm going to work on finding one of those today. I believe from the photos posted here I should be able to install that fairly easy.