Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Muffler Question

leeave96

My 314-8 and two 520-H tractors have what I'd describe a barrel or tube type muffler.

However, with respect to the Kohler engines, I noticed on partstree that the parts breakdown, as an example K301, showed a barrel type muffler, but also a much smaller muffler that appears that the diameter is also about the length of it. Not a pancake, but not much larger. I'm at a loss of words to describe, so here is a link that hopefully illustrates what I'm talking about:

http://www.partstree...=catalogs_22214

I thought these smaller, non-barrel mufflers were never intended for higher hp engines like a 10, 12 14 or 16 hp Kohler engine, but I guess I'm wrong on that score.

Question is - anyone using these smaller type mufflers on their Kohler engines in their Wheelhorse tractors?

I can see if you find a worker tractor that you don't want to spend a ton of $$'s, this muffler might fit the bill?

Any recommendations, experience on these mufflers and are you using them?

Thanks!

Bill

Sparky

I assume your talking about part#1? They are real noisy mufflers in my opinion and I wouldnt want to mow for an hour listening to it while the motors doing 3600 rpm's.

Mike............

leeave96

Yes - part #1

Martin

come on mike, theyre not that noisy!!!!!

kent drove around kellys show all weekend this past year on my 1277 with one of those mufflers and i didnt hear any complaints at all........

:hide:

well not that many, anyway.......

:wicked:

• Like 1

sorekiwi

You mean like this one?

IMG_2589_cropped.jpg

Standard equipment on mid 60's tractors, 10 and 12 hp. Very noisy, but they seem to work ok, and for about $8 you dont get any cheaper!

Kelly

kent drove around kellys show all weekend this past year on my 1277 with one of those mufflers and i didnt hear any complaints at all........

Well that is not so true, I heard about it at meetings after the show, we are implementing a noise level this year, we had plenty of complaints about the tractors with the pepper pot mufflers on them, not just yours.

Martin

Well that is not so true, I heard about it at meetings after the show, we are implementing a noise level this year, we had plenty of complaints about the tractors with the pepper pot mufflers on them, not just yours.

i guess my sarcasm didnt come through there, kelly.

towards the end of the weekend i was about done with the noise from that one. i still let him loose on it around here for an hour or too but it really does need something quieter. to think i mowed with it all last summer as well. the ones on my 1054 and 1057 dont seem to be anywhere near as bad. 1054 especially.....

sorekiwi

I got so tired of the noise on my 1267 that I switched to a Gravely muffler in an effort to quieten it down.

IMG_3712.jpg

It is quieter than the pepperpot, but still too noisy for me. I have the same muffler on the 8hp in my Ranger and I really do like it on the smaller engine. A pipe on the 1267 might help a bit, but I really need to find something else I think.

• Like 1

rmaynard

All this talk of noisy Kohlers makes me long for June 21, when hundreds of Wheel Horses with bad mufflers, good mufflers, and no mufflers, fill the air with those sweet sounds all day long at the South Mountain Fairgrounds.

Kelly

I got it Martin, I just wanted to put it out there so we can try to avoid the issue this year, I know it is hard to make a Kohler quite with out a big muffler.

Ed Kennell

All this talk of noisy Kohlers makes me long for June 21, when hundreds of Wheel Horses with bad mufflers, good mufflers, and no mufflers, fill the air with those sweet sounds all day long at the South Mountain Fairgrounds.

:ychain: Bring all the stacks to B-ville.

SousaKerry

When I was a kit our old Allis's had them peperpots on big bore briggs engines and I spent about 6 hours a day on them things... Surprised I'm not deaf now. Used to wear my tape player with the volume cranked and strained to hear it. Would listen to Zeppelin 4 and Def Leopard Pyromania on a two sided mix tape over and over and over and over again all day or until the AA's ran out.

• Like 2

855ownerJoel

What???? I can't hear what any of you are saying???? Let me shut off the WH. Seriously, the mufflers on some are pretty loud but I still love the sound of a Kohler.

pfrederi

The Electro12 I got last year came with a pepper pot muffler...Way loud. I found this muffler on evilbay for about $28, quieter and aims the exhaust away from me. One down side you now have to let her idle before shut down. If you don't you get a rifle shot after the engine stops!

7e9143234727472.jpg

Trouty56

I like that Fred. Flip it up for a short stack. Can you pm me the link to the muffler.

pfrederi

Terry got it. I should add that while much quieter than a pepper pot it isn't as quit as the nelsons that cross over the front of the tractor...but it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

TT

The genuine IH mufflers are quieter than the cheaper aftermarket replicas - but they also cost $40 more.

It's just like the $4 pepper pot imports vs. OEM Kohler mufflers. The "real thing" has heavier steel and better baffles.

Those CC mufflers would make a dandy vertical exhaust if that ugly mounting bracket was easier to remove. :D

Whmaverick

I like the stock cross overs but was wondering if anyone has a solution for the heat problem blistering the paint on the right verticle side of the hood?

artfull dodger

I agree the horizontal Nelson mufflers like is used on the 312-8 are much quieter than pretty much anything else. You can also use a twin cylinder muff on a single if you weld shut one of the two holes, and they are very quiet. Years ago I had scored a 520 muffler at an auction for 20 bucks, had the inlet nearest the output plugged and ran it on a single cylinder 14hp briggs for years, nice and quiet. The pepper pots were noisy but back then, nobody was concerned about noise, the mower decks were loud, engines were loud ect. I can understand the noise issue at a show. At Portland, I always try to keep the engine down near idle rpm unless I need to goose it to get out into traffic or out of the way. Seems most guys were that way most of the time. Most of it comes down to the owner being considerate of others. If you in a crowd of people walking or sitting, keep the RPM's down. Once your off on your own, then open it up to your hearts content. The later nelson mufflers that are tucked under the hood in the nose and exhaust toward the flywheel side are much better than the pepper pots any day. If the paint on the hood is blistering from the heat of those mufflers, then you have a lean condition and running hottter than it should be. I suppose one could make a barrel shaped heat shield that clamps onto the muffler or wrap it with "header wrap" used on muscle cars. I dont like the open sided muffler on my 518 and plan to get a chrome 520 heat shield of ebay soon to cover it. Noise is just a part of a tractor show. If you are going to allow lawn and garden tractors to be shown, then one must accept that some are noisey even if the exhaust is original. I could see banning straight pipes on all but pulling tractors that will only be run at the tractor pull. Butt buggies ect should have a proper muffler either stock or better than stock. I believe Portland says that engines need to be kept near idle to keep noise down as much as possible. Now if those darn nice nelson mufflers were not so bloody expensive! Cheers Mike

TT

I like the stock cross overs but was wondering if anyone has a solution for the heat problem blistering the paint on the right verticle side of the hood?

Maybe something like this?: adhesive heatshield mat

Volfandt

I like this muffler on my 66 K181. I ran a Gravely type before and this one is about twice as quiet as it was.

The muffler came stock on the 80's 12HP & up models and the chrome piece is actually for the larger Onan 2 cyl mufflers.

post-402-0-15289500-1360295431_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

thehorse

I hate to just dive right in here, but I will be getting a 416-8 ready for my son to mow and plow with. The stock muffler has more holes than solid metal. Anyone have an opinion on a cheapish (20-30) dollar fix. Would like my 10 year old to hear me when I scream for him to lift the deck before peppering the house like the guy on the all state commercial! A link would also be great. This newbie stuff takes so much time my wife wonders if I am still alive or died open eyed in front of my computer.

Thanks,

Len

squonk

I can't believe people complain about engine noise at a tractor show! :scratchead:STAY HOME!!!!!

I also used a Gravely muffler but made a stack out of a stainless handicap bar on my Power King. It exits not too far from my head and that K321 barks under load. Sweet music to my ears!

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0380_zps96d0abc8.jpg

artfull dodger

There really isnt a good cheap answer to a quiet muffler. The cheapo pepper pots from TSC or Rural King do nothing for the noise. Your best bet is to watch ebay for a good used one that is correct for your tractor. That gravely muffer is close to $40 localy. Its not bad for the smaller 12hp and down engines. Try a wanted post here on RS for the muffler for your 416. MIke