Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Check this out if your both a John Wayne and a M16/AR15 Fan!

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I was looking around a gun auction site that is similar to ebay.... those that know me know that Johne Wayne is my hero and that any rifle sporting a lever action floats my boat.....

Well I have a soft spot for "cool" military stuff too such as the M16, AK47 and the such, today I stumbled across this and couldn't believe that Mossberg is actually producing this about 50 miles from my house!

Just imagine that John Wayne had kept up with technology all these years.... LOL

Check it out----> I may have to order one and then get all the sick attachments for it!!!!!!!

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=327331454

Edited by Docwheelhorse
  • Like 1

VinsRJ

Stick with the AK... LOL!

Looks cool!

• Like 1

fireman

That's cool DOC!!

For right now I'm just hoping to be able to hang on to my Stag Arms Model 3 also made right here in New Britain, CT.! Till Obama, Feinstein and the rest of the idiot's realize banning these will do nothing to stop the killing I'm laying low. Out of all my weapons, it's the one I and my boys enjoy shooting the most.

post-1626-0-85735800-1359339195_thumb.gi

• Like 1

posifour11

That's cool DOC!!

?

For right now I'm just hoping to be able to hang on to my Stag Arms Model 3 also made right here in New Britain, CT.! Till Obama, Feinstein and the rest of the idiot's realize banning these will do nothing to stop the killing I'm laying low. Out of all my weapons, it's the one I and my boys enjoy shooting the most.

What he said.

Rollerman

I am a big supporter of gun rights, a member of the NRA, GOA, & NAGR, anyone that follows me on Facebook can see this. :handgestures-thumbup:

However this thread has the potential to firebomb :angry-extinguishflame: into politics, opposing political views, not to mention members here at RS that are still mourning the loss of friends with recent tragedies.

I ask that anyone here that posts...be carefull, a thread about guns is fine, but lets not turn this into a debate over what one feels is right or wrong, or bring politics into it.

There are plenty of places other than RedSquare for that.

Tony Mossberg picked up the Winchester 94 design.

If your familiar with a Winchester 94, the Mossberg is a close copy.

I havn't looked over one of the new Mossberg "tacticals" levers yet at a gunshop....not my thing though & I would bet John Wayne would have choked. :ychain:

Personaly I have a few pre 64's Winchesters...one being a big loop that look a lot more purty to me.

Fireman I also have a Stag Arms model 3, I havn't had it to the range yet, but I am looking forward to it.

coldone

Not my cup of tea. To me a lever action is a classic and should have classic lines. I just cant find the beauty in that tactical rifle package.

6wheeler

I am a shot gun kind of guy. But a Henry Big Boy would be cool. Or a rifle like the one in "The Rifleman"(Chuck Conners)" would be neat too. Do you guys think he ever hit himself in the shoulder flipping that rifle? I wonder how much practice that took? I have never used an AK-47 or an AR-15. I don't even pretend to know anything about them. Do they have any range? Are they accurate? Do they use a center fire cartridge. What caliber are they? Can they be used for hunting? Do they perform in freezing temps? I don't mean to sound ignorant, I've just never used one. My uncle had a Russian army 7mm rifle at one time. It was fun to shoot but, jammed all the time.

Docwheelhorse

Hello Everybody,

this thread was definietly not started to get into politics.... so please eerybody hold back. As far as the rifle---yah a pre-64 Winchester is very pretty, I just thought it was funny as heck to see Mossberg go all "Commando" with a lever gun.... I want to buy one just for the "What the Fudge is that????!!!!" reaction at the range or in the woods..... Besides---it would of looked great in Mad Max or Terminator or that genre of movies.

I have a whole safe of "pretty" classics already and they are all Winchesters... but this one may have to sneek in.

Tony

Rollerman

I have never used an AK-47 or an AR-15. I don't even pretend to know anything about them.

6wheeler honestly I don't remember a lot of the older western TV shows, I do know some of the John Wayne, Clint Eastwood westerns as well as Steve McQueen & his Mare's leg.

I'm no expert on the AK-47, common round in them is a 7.62x39 (around 30 caliber centerfire), millions produced, designed in Russia by Mikhail Kalashnikov, officially known as the Avtomat Kalashnikov & went into service in 1947.

The M16/AR15 was designed by Eugene Stoner back in the 50ies, but was put on hold when the military chose the Springfield M14 over it.

Colt later picked up the design and became standard issue in the Vietnam War.

Thats a pretty condensed version too.

The AR does not stand for "assualt rifle" that term was brough about by the media.

It stands for Armalite whom Stoner worked for when he started with the design of the rifle.They are chambered in 5.56x45, most modern AR15 rifles can shoot both 5.56 & 223 Remington (a very fast .22 caliber centerfire)...they are very similar with the head spaceing being a little different.

(NOTE although a 5.56x45 cartridge may be able to chamber in a rifle be it bolt, lever, or semi auto action ment to chamber .223...do not do this unless the firearm is designed to shoot both styles of cartridges)

Do they have any range? Are they accurate?

Yes & very, google Camp Perry National Matches.

http://www.odcmp.com/NM.htm

I practice with mine out to 200 yards, but could shoot farther with a longer range.

Though 200 yards is my practical range with the over the counter ammo, rifle twist rate, style of rifle I'm useing....& my eyes. :hide:

Can they be used for hunting?

One of the neat things about the AR rifles, they are highley adaptable & customizable.

They make a very nice varmit rifle in stock trim.

They can be modifiied for larger rounds (up to a .50 caliber) used to hunt deer, wild pigs & other similar sized game.

Do they perform in freezing temps?

I would say that both the AK & AR perform fine in freezeing temps....I don't however so can't say firsthand.

We are not exactly close 6wheeler, but if you make it down this way & have time, look me up.

I'll grab some of my AR's & we'll head to the range. :handgestures-thumbup:

I want to buy one just for the "What the Fudge is that????!!!!" reaction at the range or in the woods

Tony...I don't think the Mossberg tactical lever design has been very well received.

If you want a new one...you'd better hurry before Mossberg comes to it's senses.

I bet chances are good you may find a dusty brand new one at a gun shop for a good deal though.

• Like 1

fireman

Sorry if my post went a little to the political side it was not intended to. I have friends who actually had kids in the school at the time of the shooting and I still feel the way I do. These rifles were around and available when I was a kid in the 70's and these types of incidents were almost un-heard of. The internet, media, economy, healthcare, illegal immigrations and a host of other issues have caused these problems. These are the real problems that the government should be concentrating on!

Just my $.02

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Sorry if my post went a little to the political side it was not intended to. I have friends who actually had kids in the school at the time of the shooting and I still feel the way I do. These rifles were around and available when I was a kid in the 70's and these types of incidents were almost un-heard of. The internet, media, economy, healthcare, illegal immigrations and a host of other issues have caused these problems. These are the real problems that the government should be concentrating on!

Just my $.02

Finally someone talks with reason...

SousaKerry

I have a winchester 30-30 in the gun cabinet (it's my fiance's)that would be a great dress up kit for it, wonder if someone will release parts to convert your current rifle.

puddlejumper

I just wish people realized that looks dont matter that lever action is basically the same as the old winchesters or there is no functional difference in a ruger 1022 or remington 870 regardless of how they are DRESSED. They condemn one while accepted the same one dressed different. AS I have said on here in the past I used to carry guns to school on the school bus to go shooting with friends after school. I just dont understand.........None of it.