Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Convert your early snowblower to tach-a-matic

kj4kicks

Hi guys, I posted this as a response on another forum, and thought it may come in handy here.

You can convert early snow blowers (that had a single thru-bolt in the frame) to work on a tach-a-matic system. The bushings in the blower frame are 3/4" diameter, and used a 3/8" bolt thru the center.

I did this on my C-160. Get a piece of 3/4" steel rod, turn down the 2 areas that go into the tach-a-matic to 5/8" , and presto. You'll also want to add a groove on each end to install an "E" clip to keep the shaft from moving around. Other than that, just add a 5" piece of 1" pipe into the lift rod, and buy a longer belt. The one I just bought was 76".

Also, the nylon bushings for the cast iron wheels are still available, but the wheels are NOT. So if your's show any wear, replace the bushings before the wheels break.

Eldon.

(PS. I'll add a pic or 2 later)

Sparky

Can you tell me if the cast iron wheel on my new blower is worn or not :D . It seems to only be flat on the bottom tho. I guess the first owner saw nothing wrong with the wheel not spinnin.

Will Fix-A-Flat work here??

Blower.jpg

Mike.......

kj4kicks

ummmm... :P

I think JB has a better shot than fix a flat!

Of course, mine had the wheels missing, and the previous owner bolted plastic blocks to the side, like sled runners. Yeah, that would have lasted a long time. :D

I ended up putting new caster wheels on it. The stud was a different size, of course. So out came the welder again!

Eldon.

CasualObserver

well, some people like the shoes rather than wheels I guess? :D

WheelHorse_of_course

Well, ya know the wheel is such a modern high-tech device most people don't know much about it! :D

Curmudgeon

I hear Slime is good, though messy flat fixer, I'd try that first........

Dale

kj4kicks

Ok guys, Here's the adapter bar:

P1155164.JPG

Yes, I also had to machine a new drive shaft for it, but not because of the conversion.

Here's the new wheel setup:

P1155165.JPG

Eldon.