Dieselcowboy

Steering gears

Dieselcowboy

Anyone ever tighten or rebuilt the steering gears on a say b or c series W.H. ? Mine has some slop I'd like to clean up. Any help would be great.

midnight rambler

not sure if you can do that on them, there just gear to gear, yours might be worn enough (lack of grease) to where your getting play between the meeting points. only option is replace maybe the steering shaft or the fan gear,

Kelly

If you take them apart there is a very thin bushing in the lower mount that most often is worn out and needs replaced, it's a Toro item only, then when putting it back together you can add shim washers to pull the lower steering gear back tight, all this will help, BUT if your parts show lots of wear it will only help a little with out replacing the worn parts.

Butch

not sure if you can do that on them, there just gear to gear, yours might be worn enough (lack of grease) to where your getting play between the meeting points. only option is replace maybe the steering shaft or the fan gear,

NOT Cheap.

Dieselcowboy

I have more time than $ and I can fab fairly good. Maybe such that I use a wire feed and weld a line on the gears and grind them back down with a cut off tool. I've seen guys restore machines that you cannot even find a single part for. So rebuilding a simple steering gear wouldn't be out of the question right? I have seen a steering shaft new is $85, a the fan gear and shaft is $185 from toro , which is a plenty. At least half or more of what the tractor is worth.

Anglo Traction

In addition to Kelly's mention of the Bushing in the Lower Support Bracket, check the Angled 3/4" bore that the Toothed end of Steering Shaft fits into.

This bore eggs out due to the pressure of the meshing teeth when turning and it wears out before the Steel Shaft does (I have 2 to repair). It needs boring out and a bushing pressed in.

The bush needs to be Cast Iron really. This is the only remaining worn part on my Steering gear and will elliminate the small amount of remaining slack.

Kevbo

I have more time than $ and I can fab fairly good. Maybe such that I use a wire feed and weld a line on the gears and grind them back down with a cut off tool. I've seen guys restore machines that you cannot even find a single part for. So rebuilding a simple steering gear wouldn't be out of the question right? I have seen a steering shaft new is $85, a the fan gear and shaft is $185 from toro , which is a plenty. At least half or more of what the tractor is worth.

Sounds difficult but good for you if you have the skill to redo the steering by welding! :handgestures-thumbupright: I am not 100% sure but you could find a steering shaft used that might be in better shape on eBay.

Don1977

The C-series steering and fan gears had shim washers with a carter key to hold them in place. The carter key wares and bends letting the gears separate. Clean them up good the bushing may need to be replaced add shim washers and new carter key. This should help if the gears aren't worn too much. Is the bracket holding the gears broken.

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

Nothing is too bad yet. Just got the FEL on and I can tell eventually it will run into trouble. I steers really hard with all that weight on it. Thought I'd be proactive this time.

Dieselcowboy

Once again thank you everyone for the help.

Kelly

If you have a loader on it, keep your eyes open for a forward swept axle and gear reduction steering from a 520 to install, it will make it much easier to turn and the axle will make it more stable and have heavier spindles

Wishin4a416

I was actually thinking of having my machinist friend take some off the bottom of the steering gear .100 or so, so it meshes in the fan gear deeper.

Does this sound like it would work?

• Like 2

Tankman

I was actually thinking of having my machinist friend take some off the bottom of the steering gear .100 or so, so it meshes in the fan gear deeper.

Would the bottom of the steering wheel have enough room to drop .100?

I think you were on target, weld and grind the gear or (cheaper than TORO) if you know a

machinist make the bottom gear new (larger Ø) to remove the slop.

Good luck with your project. Now back to my 520-8 project, wooooooooooo is me. Lots to do! :bow-blue:

Don1977

Have you adjusted the fan gear they can move more than is required to get a tight fit.

kpinnc

This bore eggs out due to the pressure of the meshing teeth when turning and it wears out before the Steel Shaft does

Every one I have ever seen- even newer ones, have a slight egg shape here. I thought it was there to provide a small area to hold some grease?

I'm always surprised how much steering slop comes from the axle pivot getting sloppy. New tie rods and a 3/4 bushing in the axle pivot will tighten things up quite a bit.

varosd

I remember Matt from CT and Duke, The Horsefixer each did a different approach on this subject...at least it was on a 520 but there should be multiple threads out there on the RS universe.

daveoman1966

What item # is this schematic are you referring to that is worn out and 'egg-shaped' ?

I think it is # 5-25, but can't be sure.

contact me via direct email to:

daveoman@windstream.net

(just clik that email link)

groundhog47

Diesel... Also on gear side of 5-17 post #17 there is a cast that prevents/stops mesh between the end of 5-32 and its self (at least on the examples I have). It appears that can be ground down a skoshie bit and another shim added (ref post #11) to tighten up (may want a shim behind pillow block 5-16 as precaution also). Which one is better ?? or tweak both. Correction it is very front portion of 5-25, where it protrudes in slot below gear on 5-17.

Note, I have not tried this or Wishin... method, but both are a poss fix. Ir you have a lathe Wishin... way is prob easier if shaft is out.

Edited by groundhog47

pacer

I have done a few of these and I kinda doubt the gears are worn to the point of needing replaced. The slop/wear in part 5-25 where the 2 shafts go in it is probably where most of the slack is. I replace the lower bush on part 5-25 and machine the steering shaft pocket out to accept a bush there, then on reassembly do the shim thing and it will likely take the slack out - at least all that will come out, I think they all have a tad.