gin

sundstrand pump motor springs

gin

Hi,

model 1969 gt14, 1-7441

I need to replace these spirings, because some were broken. I put lighter springs that didnt match up well on the accel valve cause thats all I had ( still had about 30 tons of soil to move and did quick fix - cleaned internal filter, fluid change... ) . I would like to get a beefer or the correct springs . I was wondering where is the best place to get these or part numbers(4,5,9,11,16) ? and how much tension / space should there be between the 2 sides of the accel valve ( from the springs ) ? I wasn't sure if the sides should touch or have some gap between the springs, which is how I set it. I will attempt to be rebuild the motor and pump if this doesn't help.

here's a pic you probably have seen if you worked on these.

from page 50 of Automatic tranny repair manual - sundstrand hydrodtaic systems

4 - spring, accel valve

5 - spring, accel valve

9 - spring , check valve

11 - spring, charge relief valve

16 - spring, impliment relief valve

I've also noticed that even after replacing the seals on the tow valve it can be pushed with or without it engaged, does any1 know another reason this may be?

I'm also looking for the part # or a place to get the 1.125" axle seals ( might as well replace while apart )

lot of stuff here I hope it's not to confusing and info on any the questions would be great.

post-7660-0-88714100-1358611710_thumb.pn

wheeledhorseman

I doubt you'll get them as OEM parts but when I needed a spring for a Sundstrand I found it was actually an industry standard imperial size.

You need to take some key dimensions of the original with a vernier - something like OD of the coils, length and diameter of the wire used. Only prob was that I had to buy a bag of 25 springs. I got mine from a spring manfacturer / supplier rather than hardware store.

Thought this might help.

Andy

sorekiwi

Somebody did reproduce them, I dont remember who. Try a PM to "Refracman" or "Brrrly", they're both GT14 "nuts" as well, so you should be in contact with them anyway!

gin

wheeledhorseman, did you get heavy duty springs locally or somewhere online?

thanks for the help guys

wheeledhorseman

will send you a pm

SousaKerry

There are many spring manufacturers online such as Allied Spring, Lee Spring ect. You will need to know material (if it magnetic it is usually music wire) number of coils diameter of wire, over all length, and the outside diameter. These figures will get you close. Also shape of the wire is important if the cross section is square or round. The square cross section wire are usually called die springs.

The one thing that is difficult to find is the actual spring rate, even if you have an original spring. It is a calculation and right now I can't remember how to calculate it. But if you match up the rest of the numbers you should be close.

wheeledhorseman

pm sent gin.

Thanks for adding some US suppliers Sousakerry2 - the spring I needed was made from round section music wire (aka piano wire). It turned out to be a standard imperial size and as far as I could tell identical to the original in all respects including spring ratel. There were only two materials available from the UK supplier, piano wire and stainless. I bought a few stainless ones to see if there was any difference but found they must temper them to achieve the same springyness.

Good luck.

Andy