Cable

520 Fuse Block

Cable

The fuse block holds three ATO/ATC blade fuses. A forth location is unused. This position can be used in the event one of the others becomes damaged. The manufacturer makes no cover for the fuse block so dirt and water easily enter.

Individual pins are replaceable. You need to catch corrosion problems before the plastic fuse body (Toro part number 120930) melts. Contacts are not included with the Toro part. Normally it is the thirty amp contact that goes bad. My dealer has not been able to find a Toro part number for the contact.

Keeping the fuse positions free of dirt and dry is important. I recommend removing the fuses and blowing out contacts with compressed air. Installing and removing each fuse five or six times helps improve the electrical conductivity of the connection. Glenn Petitt has designed covers for the fuse block. See photo for how they work.

You probably have seen the decal that says, “Do not operate with battery disconnected. Damage to electrical system will result.†An open at the 30 Amp fuse is similar to having the battery removed as there is no load on the regulator. I have seen many tractors where the 30 Amp fuse is bad that also had a bad voltage regulator. These are costly and therefore, a good reason to keep a healthy fuse block.

Replacement fuse block with contracts, PICO PN 0910PT, is available from Smith’s Auto Parts, P.O. Box 489, Norfolk, NY 13667, telephone (315) 384-4600. George Smith is a vendor at the WHCC show. The contacts are PN 1598PT in packages of 50 each.

To remove a damaged contact depress the tangs and pull the contact out from the wire end. Crimp in place a new contact and insert it from the bottom. Make sure you are crimping to clean bright copper or solder the crimpted connection.

post-3963-0-13293400-1358361552_thumb.jp

post-3963-0-44461600-1358361564_thumb.jp

post-3963-0-79565100-1358361583_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JackC

Great info. Thanks

Kelly

Glenn was here at my house the other night and I got one of these covers from him, another nice product, I have not installed it yet, but I'm sure they will help with the problems of the fuse boxes, another thing to do it buy some Dialectic grease and apply it to all electrical connections, it is made for this purpose, most all auto parts store will have it, I even put it on the fuses.

Cable

Kelly, you are fortunate to have Glenn dropping off one of the covers to you. I have tried various solutions to the dirt-in-the-fuse-block issue over the years without being satisfied. At the 2012 WHCC show Glenn and I discussed what was needed. His cover is terrific. What a craftsman. This was just after fixing one of these for a good friend at the show.

Now we need to find a solution to the same problem in the 9-pin connector. So far all I have done is replace bad pins with gold plated ones.

• Like 1