Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Reel mower sharpening

Rollerman

Anybody here have any expeirence sharpening a reel mower?

I have a 3 gang setup & would like to get it working best I can...maybe play with it at my inlaws big yard next year.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen in northern IN

Buzz

The wheelhorsetractormanuals3 group has the manual for a Mower Reel Gang by American Chain and Cable. It should have info on sharpening. I can't access it from work. hope it helps.

CasualObserver

Buzz, Stephen, I just looked at that page (I have the original) it's just adjustment instructions and a parts list. Nothing on the SGM-603 ipl either.

I would suggest finding an old school hardware store, and see if they still have a reel sharpening machine. They used to be common when it was a common style of mower. Otherwise, good 'ol elbow grease and a file! Unless... it doesn't happen to be self sharpening does it? Like the old Eclipse mowers?

Good Luck!

Rollerman

These are Roxy/Bonner reels?

The only local guy I have found wants $65 an hour :D

They do cut...but could use a tune up & hopeing to find a less costly way of getting them sharpened.

Stephen in northern IN

Jim_M

Steven,

I had a 5 reel gang mower once, I can't remember the brand but it was self sharpening. All you had to do was file any big nicks on the cutting edges, squirt some 30 weight on the cutting edges and mow, it took care of the rest. I think most of them work that way, unless it's really an old one.

Jim

Mith

You can hone the cylinders on the mower, but to sharpen them you need to remove the cylinders and bottom blades and put them on a sharpening machine really.

A properly sharpened cylinder should be able to cut paper, as well as a sharp pair of scissors would, all the way along.

In short, they really need to be done on a machine.

If you take the cylinders and bottom blades out yourself it shouldn't be too expensive.

Buzz

Here's a thought. If you have any golf courses near-by, ask their groundskeepers where they get theirs sharpened. If a shops has all of the equipment necessary it might not be too expensive.

Rollerman

Buzz thanks for the ideas.

I actually looked into 3 courses around here...2 are municipal owned & could not do it???

The 3rd was a fancy private clup & they kind of had there nose up in the air.

I'm going to check a few more out though...golf course maintanece shops seem to be the best bet.

Stephen in northern IN

wesley

Hi l no this post is old but am reading my way through them all , now if this helps you can sharpen them on a lathe , have done loads of them, just put a damp cloth etc over the lathe bed first as the grinding dust get in the the bed, then just mount a small angle grinder on to the tool post and there you go a machine to sharpen mower cylinders, and yes as one of the other replys state you should be able to cut paper afterwards , hope this is of help.

wes

CasualObserver

Stephen, I know this post is forever old, but I came across this page and thought you (and others) might benefit from it.

Reel Mower Sharpening B)

Teddy da Bear

Stephen, I have a 9 1/2 foot 7 gang reel mower.

I have a kit for mine.

Actually the action of the mower itself keeps it sharp. It only does not cut well if it gets out of adjustment. Or your mowing rocks....lol

Actually the kit I have has a "lapping" compound and your suppose to elevate each reel and run it in reverse to touch up the edges.