Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

Blown rod, K241

Old Iron

I recently blew the connecting rod in a K241. The crank has aluminum galling on the bearing surface for the rod. Is there even a remote possability the crank will clean up? As it stands now, I need to replace the piston, rings, and hone the cylinder. I'm hoping a new crank doesn't make the list...

illinilefttackle

Hello-I wish I had good news, but IMO , that is the one part of an engine you can just "clean up" after a major failure-even if it measured within spec-it would almost certainly be "out of round". To be safe-take the crank to a machine shop-have them tell you what they have to turn it to-order your rod from there-the rest you "might" get by with. I wouldn't-do it right-have them check the bore, etc. then go from there-you can get rebuild kits pretty reasonable on ebay- Hope this helps-Al

Old Iron

Thanks for your opinion. I've been a Machinist for over 20 years and agree with what you recomend. I guess I am just in denile and was hoping someone might say "so sweat...just get it trued up and you'll be fine!"

I want to make the 1057 run like new so I guess I know what I have to do...

TT

In the last four months I have sent two to be cleaned & polished after oil starvation-related rod failure. They have both cleaned up perfectly and are still in spec.

Of course that doesn't mean that yours will be fine too, but it might give you some hope.

If you want to do it yourself, soak the crankpin area in muriatic acid to remove all traces of the aluminum and use crocus cloth to polish. Throw the mic on it and see what it measures. :handgestures-thumbup:

oldredrider

Been there, done that. Cleaned up an aluminized K301 crank with muriatic acid, put in a new rod and piston...runs smooth and sweet.

As said above, just check the specs. Good luck.

can whlvr

my 241 blew a rod also and i did as tt stated and its been fine after the rebuild