Sign in to follow this  
Tankman

520-8 Project

Tankman

Picked up this 520-8 Stallion, runs. Needs work but, we (grandson & I) needed a Spring '13 Project.

Giddy up :wh:! Posted images in my Gallery. Take a peek-a-boo.

http://www.wheelhors...-520-8-project/

• Like 2

varosd

looks to be in good shape. how many hours? not many 520-8's out there, so it's a keeper! :D

Tankman

Don't know how many hours, hour meter is kaput. But, I don't care. Picked up the Stallion just a bit sourh of Allentown, PA. Wasn't listed for sale, just been in my view sitting by a barn for a few months. I stopped 'n asked. A done deal.

I'll replace gauges and hour meter during the restoration, more to look forward too! I'm not in a rush. :ychain:

Wishin4a416

Looks like a nice project. At least everything looks to be there.

Tankman

Looks like a nice project. At least everything looks to be there.

Everything is there, just the usual work for this latest project.

Deck has a few rust holes, minor. To be expected. Patched a few of the five decks I have (now six decks).

Some of the sheetmetal I'm going to farm out for painting. I know a powder coating local company; lunch

often with the crew. Frame, engine, small stuff, I'll paint myself or maybe?

1st up will be a power wash for sure, the other four :wh:'s in my barn are always groomed. :laughing-rofl:

ericj

can't beet 20 hp onan power with and 8 sp trans i am sure you will love it when you get it done and can drive it hope to get mine restored this year

eric

Wheelhorse84

I want one!

Tankman

I want one!

Picked the 520-8 up, just because it was sittin' neglected. Needed a helping hand.

My 416-8 is a fine horse, probably all I need. Guess I have WHA (:wh: addiction) in a bad good way. :laughing-rofl:

JackC

I don't see much rust. It should be an easy clean up.

Kelly

There are very few tractors on my want list, but a 520-8 speed is one.

Tankman

I don't see much rust. It should be an easy clean up.

After clean 'n paint, will need the Vinyl Guy! Gotta like his product. Excellent quality, looks original too. :)

Wheel-N-It

OK, you must be smiling from ear to ear this morning friend :banana-rock:

I have no idea where one of those are here where I live. You sure were fortunate to find one just sitting in a barn. You've got a nice collection of Wheel Horses now Tankman. Sure feels good, right??? I bet you're sitting in the garage looking at it right now :)

Tankman

OK, you must be smiling from ear to ear this morning friend :banana-rock:

I have no idea where one of those are here where I live. You sure were fortunate to find one just sitting in a barn. You've got a nice collection of Wheel Horses now Tankman. Sure feels good, right??? I bet you're sitting in the garage looking at it right now :)

Grinnin' fo' sure! I am going to take it easy during the restoration. I didn't need another Stallion, will have

to divide my couple of acres into five sections for the :wh:'s exercisin' 'n grazin'. The poor oldtimers (me too) need

all the lovin' they can get.

I guess I didn't need this poor old Horse, will give it whatever it needs to be happily retired.

I live in a restored bank barn, Herd lives on the lower back level, heated and very well fed! :laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

546cowboy

With only 225 of them made I'm glad this one found a good home. I found one a couple years ago and would have liked to have kept it but at the time I had four more 520H's and had no use for it. I still have two 520H's and a stripped roller.

Sparky

Wasn't listed for sale, just been in my view sitting by a barn for a few months. I stopped 'n asked. A done deal.

Did you always know exactly what it was on your drive by's? Or were you pleasantly surprized when you finally walked up to it?

Mike..............

TT

I had one for over a year, and though I won't disagree about them being a powerful machine, it seemed like a waste of horsepower and gasoline.

Mine had a 48" deck and I suppose if I had a picture-perfect smooth yard and could have mowed in high gear it would have been better.

Those tractors should have the same 5 1/4" engine pulley like the hydro models.

• Like 1

Tankman

Wasn't listed for sale, just been in my view sitting by a barn for a few months. I stopped 'n asked. A done deal.

Did you always know exactly what it was on your drive by's? Or were you pleasantly surprized when you finally walked up to it?

Mike..............

After seein' it there for so long, curiosity bit. WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) erupted again (severely too!).

I stopped. Thrilled to see, close up, to find a 520. Manual or automatic didn't matter.

Made a rediculous offer, got to talkin' 'bout Kinzers.

Let me add, I did drive a little off route that day and the "Mrs." wasn't on this trip.

The Horse was only 'bout 2 miles from my barn. Lucky me!

Spring '03 Project is now scheduled. :woohoo:

Tankman

With only 225 of them made I'm glad this one found a good home. I found one a couple years ago and would have liked to have kept it but at the time I had four more 520H's and had no use for it. I still have two 520H's and a stripped roller.

Had a feeling the 520-8's were in short supply, looks like (not sure) a 1990 model?

Been lookin' at lists all over and all I could find was the 1990 Owners Manual noting the 8-speed along with the automatic trannys. :eusa-think:

ericj

one year run on the 520-8 in 1990 only something like 225 made

eric

Wheel-N-It

Probably all 225 of them in the Northeast :banghead: ( Nowhere near North Carolina ) :ranting:

Edited by Wheel-N-It

Jake Kuhn

Nice tractor! :handgestures-thumbup:

Kevbo

You are so lucky to get that 520-8! Like Kelly said, this is one of my top tractors on my wish list hehe congrats Tankman.

Tankman

Thanks Kevin, wish y'all had more :wh: Stallions in the barn.

Been thinkin' 'bout 500 series Horses, most are too high in price.

Now, the Spring '13 Project will be perhaps the slowest, most thorough, renovation I've done.

Don't need the 520-8, just stumbled across it, made an offer. I was blown away when he said, "OK."

How's things down Reading way? You're right off the triple duce I think.

Real foggy today.

Tankman

Probably all 225 of them in the Northeast :banghead: ( Nowhere near North Carolina ) :ranting:

Perhaps true Van but, you have Camp Lejeune! :laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl:

Wheel-N-It

Good old Camp Lejeune. Semper Fi !

I've never seen even one Wheel Horse down there Tankman . Kinda sad :(

HEY, I did get the grass cut today!