Kevbo

Need help getting off rear wheels...

Kevbo

So here is where I'm stuck...and so is the rear wheel...looking at the picture below you will see that the wheel is rusted to the spindle and the spindle won't come off the other side if the axle. Any tricks of recommendations to get this off the transmission?

DEBFE953-E29A-405B-B658-2A8E34951A70-3489-000003C9C0C487DE.jpg

23242FA6-B805-4959-B309-55DA64BE1AA3-3489-000003C9C5E77ED0.jpg

35E913FB-4472-4E9F-A968-ABF9D1A3EED5-3489-000003C9CA1DFCB0.jpg

05C69D2E-6F7F-43AF-8E34-2257D8D8FB4D-3489-000003C9CE251A25.jpg

welderman85

i would try tapping around the back side of the wheel with a dead blow hammer just keep hitting around the hub.As for the hub i would use lots of pb blaster and a 3 jaw puller

farmerall

I would just give the wheel a good smack with a hammer and it should pop right off.

Ditto about the hub. Also remember to be paitent removing the hub, if you rush you may end up breaking it.

dbartlett1958

Kevbo,

When the time comes to put things back together remember this: Never-Sieze is your Friend!

David

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Dont hit the hub with a hammer - its cast iron and very easy to break OR you can blow off the little titty thingys on the inboard end of the axle at the circlip groove.

Do a search for hub removal on the site,, you'll see pictures of another hub used as a puller, or the original version, the "Dale puller" made by Mr Thirdrock

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I learned this from the savvy members here. Ofcourse you need another matching hub. I had one. Good Luck!

IMG_1697.jpg

• Like 1

Butch

Heat on the wheel.

bowtieguy

Fire up the "blue wrench" before you beat on it with a hammer and break everything inside and outside!!...just my 2 cents!!

ray

I used PB blaster a little each day, or I also used a big plastic tub with straight vinegar in it. Let it set a few days, don't let it dilute. It might take 20 bucks of cheap vinegar, but still this is cheaper than replacing parts in the long run. Other than that, I used a little small propane torch the kind that cost about three dollars. I bought the attachmenet to heat things for around nine dollars at Menard.

gwest_ca

If the tractor drives put the wheel studs back in snug, back them off 1 turn and drive the tractor. Figure 8's or driving back and forth along a sloped area may break them loose. Been doing this with cars and trucks for years with no damage.

Garry

Kevbo

Thanks all for the advice!

Tankman

Kevbo,

When the time comes to put things back together remember this: Never-Sieze is your Friend!

David

Been usin' Never-Seeze® since being reminded by forum members! Had it but, always had chassis grease sittin' around (memory lacking at times).

The hub removal can be a bear, as the tow bar pin. More than once, I sprayed oil on a pin and/or hub for weeks, tap, tap, tap, before (finally) I could get the parts apart. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Then a cleanup and Never-Seeze® during reassembly. :eusa-think:

Slow ahead all ships. It's worth the wait!

Wheel-N-It

H_ LL NO, DON'T HIT THE HUB WITH A HAMMER!!! :no::ychain:

I can't add anything else to this post Kevin. You've got all the good advice you need now to do what you got to do.

can whlvr

heres a pic of a homemade puller,a peice of angle iron,a 3/4 bolt and nut and 5 bolts that go into the hub holes

004-10.jpg

midnight rambler

when you use your puller MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPACER BETWEEN THE BOLT HOLES, otherwise your puller wont do any good, if you need a hub send me a pm i have some extras, good luck with removal,

Duff

when you use your puller MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPACER BETWEEN THE BOLT HOLES, otherwise your puller wont do any good, if you need a hub send me a pm i have some extras, good luck with removal,

I'm not quite sure I understand - can you elaborate, please? :huhs:

Duff :text-thankyoublue:

marreque

HEAT is your FRIEND

glgrumpy

Wheel should come off with good wallop right on the tire itself with big hammer or small sledge. Usually do two spots opposite. The whole thing wlll vibrate/dance as you hit and comes loose. Lotsa soaking before. The hub, don't know, never done one, but like the homemade puller idea out of good thick steel or the extra hub (which I don't have). Might have to soad, leave pressure on, tighten a little, and again and again. Maybe rap with bigger hammer IF your careful and can keep blows to center section. Hope you have clips and set-bolts all out?? Spray into those holes too if any.

Kevbo

Hope you have clips and set-bolts all out??

Just to make sure that I do...where are these located?

mra132

I realize this is an older thread but this weekend I had the exact same problem with my rear wheels being stuck on the hubs, and had been searching these forums to a solution that worked for my setup.  Of course the hubs were stuck on the axles, so I couldn't just easily slide them off.   I continually soaked them with PB Blaster for 2 days trying to break them loose but that didn't help.  What finally did work was using a 2-jaw puller, chains, and a 4x4.  I weaved the chains through the wheel slots to create 2 "loops" that I could attach the jaws to.  Then, because I didn't want to add the center pin pressure directly to the axle (for fear that I'd be forcing the hubs off as well), I used a short piece of 4x4 that I had to distribute the pressure to the circular part of the hub.  This got me 95% of the way there, then a little love tap with my hand on the back of the tire and they popped off.  

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

• Like 1

Tuneup

Let's see - how NOT to do it. Lots of heat from an old butane torch since my MAPP can is finally empty, 3 finger puller and get no movement, with gradual pressure and hammer tabs on the center, then, with air hammer until the puller finally snaps. Scratch head and make sure the former owner didn't actually weld it! Talk to it a lot - this works well with me and my patience. Tell it that it won't win. I can do this for the better part of the day while tinkering with it. Amuses the wife and kids, too, and I generally do win. I've gotten old 256 ftlb Beetle hubs off with this method in my teen years. Give up and hit with hammer in frustration on day #3 for an hour or so - brings great satisfaction - until the hub breaks and a piece flies across the hood of your new car. At this point, cussing may occur and the wife may be in ear shot - but tends to be understanding. Buy new puller and remove the other hub in 5 minutes. Split the trans and thank God there's no damage from the effort. Teaches patience, provides the means to purchase a larger torch and helps sellers at NAPA and eBay. Everybody but the Ford wins and only I know where the hood is scratched. I've got a '76 C-120 in the driveway begging for 'the treatment' as all the seals are leakers. It will be a fun summer. Boys are stocking up on the popcorn.

Now, seriously, that gent that used an old hub as a tool to remove the frozen hub is a genius. This will be my method.