Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

My Bad - Anyone Using 15W-40

leeave96

In my 10w-40 post, I meant for it to read 15W-40?

Any one using it in their Kohler singles or Onan engines?

Thanks,

Bill

midnight rambler

ok, i thought 15w40w was for diesel engines, not sure if what you have is or a gas engine? i know they are formulated differently, i have ran diesel oil in my junk cars and had no issues, but like i mentioned before i wouldnt use it during the winter months due to the thickness of the oil.

rydogg

I use 15w40 diesel oil in my high mile Chevy Suburban since it has more zinc (ZDDT) which is an anti wear additive it also has more detergent to clean out deposits....it may plug up a catalytic converter so I would not use it in a newer vehicle. I have thought about it in my kohlers but I got a bunch of 30wt that I purchased in bulk, once it is gone I may give 15w40 diesel oil a try.

ericj

it has been pretty widely discussed in the automotive circles that the new oils should not be used in flat tappet cam motors. i believe it is because they took i think the zink out of the oil witch is a lube for the cams causing lobes to be wiped out, so , i have switched over to using the diesel oils in my motors that don't use roller cams including my onan' s, but i believe i stayed with 10w-30. just my $.02 worth

eric j

Tankman

Might be interesting, CD (diesel) rated crankcase oil in a gas engine(?). :eusa-think:

I used CD (diesel) rated oil on several diesel engines, one I sold had 375,000 miles on it.

Was still running like a top. Changed oil every 3K miles.

Wheel Horse gas engines? 30w or 5w30 is all I use.

I might add, UPS uses synthetic gear lube in all their trannys. A friend was racing, one race per rear. After switching to Mobil 80w90 synthetic gear lube, three races per rear. I use 85w140 gear lube in the Horse rears.

Wheel-N-It

Bill, I used 15/40 in everything I own for many years. Within the last year I have switched over to straight 30w for the Kohlers.

The 15/40 is LE so its rated for diesel use. I would not want anything else in my engines, including the Harley.