Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Anyone use 10W-40

leeave96

I found a deal locally on some quality 10W-40 engine oil and am curious as to if anyone uses this weight oil in their Wheelhorse's Kohler or Onan engines.

Thanks!

Bill

JimmyJam

For my 1994 264-6 with14hp magnum, the owners manual states that you may use 10w-40 as long as the outside temperatures do not fall below 0 degrees F. Here in New England winters: that's a everyday occurrence. For my older models I stay with 30w.

midnight rambler

the 10w40 is a good summer oil, it gets thicker and that is a bad thing during the winter months, i try to use the thinner stuff in the winter as my tractors might sit outside overnight.

1978wh

i run 10 w30 year round in my c101, no issues at all . Just for your info. The number before the w is the weight @ 0 degrees and the number after the w is the weight @ 212 degrees. meaning a 10w30 @0 degrees the oil acts like a 10 weight and @ 212 degrees the oil acts like a 30 weight

64s

Given what 1978WH posted, you run straight weight (ex 30W) in the summer and a multi weight in the winter (so the oil will be thinner at cold temps and thicken as the engine warms).

I run straight 30 year around in my older "k" and magnum engines, and 10w30 in the Command engine. That being said, the winter tractor (magnum engine) stays in an attached garage which gets some heat from the home. If it were in a cold shed or detached garage, I'd use 10w30.

Trouty56

so the oil will be thinner at cold temps and thicken as the engine warms

The 10W30 oil will be as thick as 10W oil at 0 degrees which is thinner than what 30W would be at 0 degrees. When the engine is warmed up the 10W30 will be as thin as 30W oil would be at that temperature but not as thin as what 10W oil would be.

Didn't want somebody thinking that the multi viscosity oil thickens as it heated up....I guess to be accurate....it doesn't thin as much....somebody stop me before I hurt myself....

• Like 3

1978wh

to help understand my post on 10 w40 oil a little better. The oil does not thin out at cold temp, but it has the charitoristics of that oil at that temp. let's stay on 10w40 weight, at 0 degrees the oil has the chariteristics of a 10 weight , that does not mean at 0 degrees it is a 10 weight, for example at room temp a 10 weight oil is a 10 weight oil, but at 0 degrees a 10 weight oil thickens to more like a 50 weight. A 40 weight oil at room temp is a 40 weight oil,but at 212 degrees it has the charactorisics more like a15 weight oil . thats why you can in most cases replace a straight weight oil with a multi-viscisity oil with out a lubrication beakdown down problem, BUT do not replace a multiviscosity recomendation with a striaght weight oil. The vi improvers in the oil give a better temp range of lubrication and longer live. The reason why you can substitute multi- viscosity lube for striaght weight recomendation as you can see is somewhere in the heet range 10w40 has the charictoristics of the straight 30 weight. If straight weight 30 is recomended,you can use 10w30, but be careful about substituting with 10w40, because the 40 side of the 10w40 is heavier than the original recomendation of 30

woodbird007

My manuals for Kohler K say straight 30 in summer, 10w30 below 30 degrees winter.

Also tend to use more oil in winter, I guess because of the 10 weight?

1978wh

I don't think your oil consumtion is because of the 10 weight , but more likely do to lower temp. Have you also noticed that you use more fuel in the winter months, that's not do to thinner fuel , its do to lower temp

Ed Kennell

I think I got it. Keepem all inside at 70F,use 30W, and startem up before I takem out. :eusa-think:

tractornut86

10w-40 will be just fine. Out of the 75 tractors between my brother and me a good 60 of them have 10w40 in them and run them several years that way. We have kohlers, clintons, wisconsins, and briggs.

Hydro

Bill I have used 10w-40 in my hydro. I see you have a 520H so could use it there, 4 qts at a time.

Tankman

Use 30w 90% of the time. Winter I might use 10w30.

Stallions :wh: are indoors, little heat, but always put away and cleaned.

Back in the 60's, motor pool at Camp Lejeune, always Texaco 30w.